Fedora Freezes why?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora Freezes why?

For the longest time I had no freezing of Fedora and I am talking years. Then I started to be effected by Freezes. The display on all three screens stayed but everything else would not work. Keyboard, mouse and all. So I figured my Graphics card might be a problem. It was a GTX 960. Also for good measure I decided to replace the Motherboard with a different brand.
    So I own two new AMD 5100 Pros and an ASRock 970 with the AMD 9590. Corsair 1000W power supply, 32 GB of HyperX 1866 ram, M.2 on MB and SSDs' for the main system storage.

Now I have changed hardware, spent $700 on new graphics cards and still the system freezes from time to time and requires a hard reboot.

I hope someone knows why this happens. I read others experience the same thing from time to time.

Any news?

EDIT how funny: Almost as soon as I posted this the system froze. That makes 4 times today. Some days it doesn't at all. True I don't notice how many days it doesn't but I do notice when it does. I have not been able to determine a common factor for the freezes so I am asking the community.

EDIT2
    Add another Freeze. Today ( my today ) is setting a record. Number 5 Freeze. I have a temp display and a what 240mm radiator so it isn't CPU overheat. I do Push and Pull on that BTW.
    So I have updated. Mozilla Firefox is unstable. It has crashed three times since the latest upgrade but these freezes happen without using Firefox.
    HELP ME!

Just saying Freeze number 6!

Okay I just went through a real pain! Memtest86 on the Fedora-29--Live Crashes! So I thought Ah Ha! memory might be the problem. So I have been resetting BIOS, Popping out 8 GIG DDR3s' and finally decided to download the Memtest86+ and made a new Flash install. Memtest86+ runs fine! Memory is fine. Settings are corrsct and because I have 4 sticks of 1866 MHZ in I have it set to 1600 MHZ. I have even bumped up voltages a little. So that checks out.
    So memory is good. This is a two month old Asrock 970 Performance Motherboard ( I learned you should buy a spare or two when you buy one because they dissappear from the stores and end up priced at $800 on ebay ). I have another 970 and even a newer one but without the M.2 but what can I do. Two spares plus a spare CPU. Hey this rig is good enough for my needs.
    So I still am not any closer to understanding the "Freeze" issue. Can't be the Motherboard because this is a different brand. ( Had a ASUS one that died ). CPU is also Two months in as it was the "spare" and I donated the old one to a poor neighbor ( a lot of hours on that one ) Memory checks out and is under clocked with voltage boost just to be safe.
    I welcome any hardware suggestions. Twin 8GB AMD 5100s are no slouch. I do have a WiFi/Bluetooth card with the latest Intel "chip" installed. I love that I can swap out chips when a better one is available.
    There is nothing crazy about CPU settings it's all Auto on this AMD 9590.
    So why the Freeze? And why did it ot Freeze for over a month after I rebuilt my rig?
    Last edited by Ernst0; 14th March 2019 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora Freezes why?

I'd take a look at the RAM and storage. RAM - check it is seated properly, check the timings and voltages are correct, then test for stability with this.Never physically push and pull on a cooling system components.

Storage - check the cables are not damaged and are connected properly. check the health of partitions using fsck

Other cabling, anything hooked up to the PSU should also be checked to make sure it is secure and the cables are not kinked or damaged. Are the motherboards properly mounted to copper board standoffs but not over-tightened? This matters, make sure there are no shorts
    Last edited by antikythera; 15th March 2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: edited for clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows memory bluescreens are one of the reasons I started dual-booting to Fedora, then finally all-in with F29. Using same older hw (8GB DDR-3 on Intel Haswell Pentium G3220). I know a chore to replace, but I would look at the power supply. Have you had any electrical disturbances ? Do you need 1000 watts ? I use Corsair 400W on my ESXi machine, EVGA 450's on others. What a frustrating plm ..
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Than You friends.

It is True that I removed all the ram and tested them in pairs. Then also tested them as 4 sticks in.
    While I was inside the case I did check and made sure things were plugged in correctly.
    It may have been something not quite plugged in right.
    So far to day I have 6 hours up time and no freeze.
    i will update if I continue to stay up without a freeze to suggest that people reset their ram and check their plug-ins

Thanks for being here for people like me to turn to for help and community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a completely different desktop environment for a while, for example if the freezes are on Gnome, try XFCE for a while or KDE Plasma. If the freezes go away you likely have a Gnome plugin bug, Gnome does a lot of acceleration dependent things in its desktop that can turn up graphics card bugs that might be missed by other, especially older design desktops.

Your putting in brand new high end cards makes these kinds of freezes more likely because there's less experience with their hardware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You antikythera, kappclark and marko.

After all my poking around and ram testing I have not had a freeze.
    Marko, your advice will be remembered.

I still do not have an answer to why the memtest86 on the "Fedora 29 live" USB Drive is crashing. The downloaded Memtest86+ on a different USB stick runs fine.

If I have anything new I will add to this thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the downloaded version is newer, maybe the Fedora build is not compatible with your hardware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freezes are most annoying indeed.

This is a desktop PC, so I would suspect bad power quality and would suggest investing in a new PSU and a UPS. Laptop machines are generally more reliable, since they have a UPS and power filter built in.

The only way to prove a power problem, is by hooking up a fast oscilloscope - a cheap scope won't show anything. Maybe you can borrow one from a radio amateur friend.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a memtest that I downloaded from the internet that is for 64 bit systems. I used it to test my 16 gig ram sticks. Ilest it run for hours. The version I dl'd runs 13 tests. A full cycle of a test is about 15 minutes.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You antikythera, kappclark and marko.

After all my poking around and ram testing I have not had a freeze.
    Marko, your advice will be remembered.

I still do not have an answer to why the memtest86 on the "Fedora 29 live" USB Drive is crashing. The downloaded Memtest86+ on a different USB stick runs fine.

If I have anything new I will add to this thread.