Case Makers' Bring back the 1.44 Floppy drive Slot
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Case Makers' Bring back the 1.44 Floppy drive Slot

I looked at my 3.5 inch SSD and realised that if there was a slot in the front of the PC like the one for the 1.44 drives, that I could jury-rig a Sata connector coupled backend to a USB hub. What that would allow me to do is plug in/plug out a 3.6 inch sata SSD. If it was available, that SSD would be my external backup drive.

Any hardware guys there that can make such a device?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Case Makers' Bring back the 1.44 Floppy drive Slot

2.5" SSD you mean, unless you bought a very expensive 3.5" data centre SSD? anyhow it is not worth attempting that because unless you want ridiculously slow file transfers and the risk of damaging the drive you should really invest in a proper backplane which hooks up to the SATA controller on your motherboard and guides proper insertion so you're not fouling the connections and has an eject function too.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-...r~HSB220SAT25B

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/~SATSASBP125

They have 5.25" backplanes for 3.5" HDD too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly what you are asking but...

Take a look at the Thermaltake max 2504 to enable hot swap of 2.5" sata drives. It converts a 5 1/2 in case bay to a 4 bay 2.5" hot swap unit.

I use the Thermaltake Max 3503 to convert 2 x 5 1/2 in bays to 3 x 3.5 in hot swap sata bays. Just plug it in and your drives appear just like plugin USB sticks. To swap out a drive just click on the unmount symbol beside the drive, slide out the old and slide in the new. System sees the drive and mounts it just like plugging in a USB drive. The only issue I have is the availability of extra carrier trays is zero. So swapping a drive involves detaching the tray from the current drive and attaching it to the new drive.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermalta...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are plenty of sata ssd external usb enclosures on amazon, most under 20 bucks. For a higher price nvme ssd external usb enclosures are available too. I didn't look, but I'd guess there are eSata enclosures out there too.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobuck
    Not exactly what you are asking but...

Take a look at the Thermaltake max 2504 to enable hot swap of 2.5" sata drives. It converts a 5 1/2 in case bay to a 4 bay 2.5" hot swap unit.

I use the Thermaltake Max 3503 to convert 2 x 5 1/2 in bays to 3 x 3.5 in hot swap sata bays. Just plug it in and your drives appear just like plugin USB sticks. To swap out a drive just click on the unmount symbol beside the drive, slide out the old and slide in the new. System sees the drive and mounts it just like plugging in a USB drive. The only issue I have is the availability of extra carrier trays is zero. So swapping a drive involves detaching the tray from the current drive and attaching it to the new drive.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermalta...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Kobuck if you are interested in going tray free most of the Startech backplanes are tray free. For the 2.5" drive backplanes they supply a couple of protective plastic sheets to stick to the underside of HDD drives to protect the exposed circuits and chips from being touched when inserting or removing drives. You can make more of these quite easily though with overhead projector acetate and double-sided tape

@Doug G - not many consumer grade desktops and laptops have eSATA or eSATAp anymore, it seems to be on the way out. Some business oriented models still have eSATAp connections but like FireWire before it it's a dying standard and the cost of implementing both USB 3.1/USB C and eSATAp is not something most manufacturers are interested in meeting any longer. USB 3.1 (as fast as eSATAp) and USB C seem to have won the equivalent of the VHS versus Betamax war in this regard.

Interesting wibble topic really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee, I thought I was ahead of all of The big box manufacturers who could put out an external SSD drive device.

Antikythera, I didn't mean the 3.5 inch drive but the stand sized SSD like my Corsair 500 or any other SSD having that dimension. Probably it would require all of those SSD and drive manufacturers to guarantee that the power and signal connections align with each other. I really would like to have the same facility as I have now, in plugging in a DVD drive. No external power supply and the SSD door with a button to open the door to easily allow insertion and removal of the SSD. Linux should manage SSD safe unplugging. How I dislike having the little power transformer on the power bar plugged into the external hard drive and the need for a second cable between USB port and the external drive.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at the Thermaltake max 2504 to enable hot swap of 2.5" sata drives
    Didn't know this mobile rack existed! In my case I have to, shutdown, then unplug everything. Then, move the case where I can open it up to get at the drives. With this rack I'd be able to swap/add/remove in place. Not that expensive either for four units. Wonder if they make a 5 1/2" version for the larger HDD drives....
    Last edited by rclark; 4th March 2019 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Gee, I thought I was ahead of all of The big box manufacturers who could put out an external SSD drive device.

Antikythera, I didn't mean the 3.5 inch drive but the stand sized SSD like my Corsair 500 or any other SSD having that dimension. Probably it would require all of those SSD and drive manufacturers to guarantee that the power and signal connections align with each other. I really would like to have the same facility as I have now, in plugging in a DVD drive. No external power supply and the SSD door with a button to open the door to easily allow insertion and removal of the SSD. Linux should manage SSD safe unplugging.
    that's exactly what the startech backplanes I linked to are for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rclark

The device I referenced supports either 3.5" or 2.5" devices. The SATA backplane uses standard sockets which are implemented on both 3.5 and 2.5 drives. Looke at the links "antikythera" or I provided and you will find what you want. The tray or trayless question is the big decision. The tray provides some protection for 3.5" exposed underside circuitry and the trayless provides convenience.

OOPs I'm sorry the link I provided was for the 2.5 in only unit. Search for "Termaltake Max 3503" or 3504 and you will find the 3.5/2.5 units.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl