Monitor buttons not working brightness adjustment an issue
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monitor buttons not working brightness adjustment an issue

I am running Fedora 29 Workstation 64 bit, which is fully updated. I am using an old monitor, which has got button on the front, but they do not seem to respond. How can I adjust brightness etc? Is there a tool out there? Thanks.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Monitor buttons not working brightness adjustment an issue

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083
    I am running Fedora 29 Workstation 64 bit, which is fully updated. I am using an old monitor, which has got button on the front, but they do not seem to respond. How can I adjust brightness etc? Is there a tool out there? Thanks.
    I believe you'd need to repair or replace the monitor. In KDE for example there are sliders for Gamma adjustment in display settings (I'm not aware of an equivalent for GNOME) but that would only serve to reduce brightness and not increase it if already too low.

brightness of external monitors can't be controlled by the operating system like a notebook's internal panel can. gamma could be reduced but not increased if the panel is below 100% already, so time for a new monitor?

The only way you'd realistically be able to do it with any accuracy, assuming the panel is at maximum brightness with an external display with broken buttons is if you have a monitor calibration tool like Spyder5 (can cost the same as a new monitor depending on which version you get) and could use DisplayCAL to define the brightness level while tuning the colours at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may find a brightness level in /sys/class ; this depends on the hardware and display driver.

For instance /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
    or /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

You may check the value and insert a lower one (there is also a max_brightness value in the same directory, allowed values depend on hardware and driver).

Also the behavior may depend on the cable type (vga, hdmi, etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Pierre
    You may find a brightness level in /sys/class
    Hi!

I tried, but I could not find /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness or /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness. Please forgive me if I have made any mistake here. Thanks.

Code:
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    ls: cannot access '/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness': No such file or directory
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/
    ata_device/     cpuid/          extcon/         iommu/          nd/             pps/            scsi_disk/      tpmrm/          
    ata_link/       devcoredump/    graphics/       leds/           net/            ptp/            scsi_generic/   tty/            
    ata_port/       devfreq/        hidraw/         mdio_bus/       pci_bus/        pwm/            scsi_host/      usbmon/         
    backlight/      dma/            hmm_device/     mei/            pcmcia_socket/  raw/            sound/          vc/             
    bdi/            dmi/            hwmon/          mem/            phy/            regulator/      spi_master/     vfio/           
    block/          drm/            i2c-adapter/    misc/           powercap/       rtc/            thermal/        vtconsole/      
    bsg/            drm_dp_aux_dev/ input/          msr/            power_supply/   scsi_device/    tpm/            watchdog/       
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/
    ata_device  block        dma             graphics     input     mem   pci_bus        pps        rtc           sound       tty        watchdog
    ata_link    bsg          dmi             hidraw       iommu     misc  pcmcia_socket  ptp        scsi_device   spi_master  usbmon
    ata_port    cpuid        drm             hmm_device   leds      msr   phy            pwm        scsi_disk     thermal     vc
    backlight   devcoredump  drm_dp_aux_dev  hwmon        mdio_bus  nd    powercap       raw        scsi_generic  tpm         vfio
    bdi         devfreq      extcon          i2c-adapter  mei       net   power_supply   regulator  scsi_host     tpmrm       vtconsole
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/backlight/
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/m
    mdio_bus/ mei/      mem/      misc/     msr/      
    ls: cannot access '/sys/class/m': No such file or directory
    [root@localhost james]# 
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/misc/
    autofs/             fuse/               mcelog/             network_latency/    snapshot/           vfio/               
    cpu_dma_latency/    hpet/               memory_bandwidth/   network_throughput/ tun/                vga_arbiter/        
    device-mapper/      hw_random/          microcode/          nvram/              udmabuf/            
    [root@localhost james]# ls /sys/class/misc/
    autofs           device-mapper  hpet       mcelog            microcode        network_throughput  snapshot  udmabuf  vga_arbiter
    cpu_dma_latency  fuse           hw_random  memory_bandwidth  network_latency  nvram               tun       vfio
    [root@localhost james]#

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, here is my old monitor, works fine, but button are too stiff. May be it is a little known brand, no longer in the marketplace.

https://imgur.com/a/2Do0xxo

Thanks.
    Last edited by tech291083; 1st March 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You won't necessarily find the Intel sysclass entries for brightness if you aren't using a mobile Intel GPU and internal notebook panel.

That panel looks like a relabeled generic display from AOC. They used to produce displays for other OEMs to relabel and sell. Given the obvious age and the fact you are using D-SUB or VGA cabling it is not possible to control the brightness of this monitor's backlight from the computer

From the picture the brightness and contrast doesn't look too bad. I know the camera sensor will compensate a bit but it doesn't seem excessively dark or bright.

Persevere with the stiff buttons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you do want to replace the monitor, but don't have much to spend then consider this AOC model. It's got decent picture quality and in monitor terms is cheap. It uses a TN panel as it's in AOC's budget gaming monitor range. TN panels are not a bad thing if you watch movies or play games because the pixel response times are better than IPS so you see less ghosting.

It's Full HD with HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA connections. Obviously for the best picture you should use HDMI or DisplayPort if your PC supports those.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0158L13...subtag=1406504

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I believe you'd need to repair or replace the monitor.
    I agree.

In KDE for example there are sliders for Gamma adjustment in display settings (I'm not aware of an equivalent for GNOME)
    Ok

brightness of external monitors can't be controlled by the operating system like a notebook's internal panel can. gamma could be reduced but not increased if the panel is below 100% already, so time for a new monitor?
    Yes, I would be buying a new one soon.

The only way you'd realistically be able to do it with any accuracy, assuming the panel is at maximum brightness with an external display with broken buttons is if you have a monitor calibration tool like Spyder5 (can cost the same as a new monitor depending on which version you get) and could use DisplayCAL to define the brightness level while tuning the colours at the same time.
    Interesting, never really heard of these two before ie Spyder5 and DisplayCAL. Buying Spyder5 is out of my reach now.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do want to replace the monitor, but don't have much to spend then consider this AOC model. It's got decent picture quality and in monitor terms is cheap. It uses a TN panel as it's in AOC's budget gaming monitor range. TN panels are not a bad thing if you watch movies or play games because the pixel response times are better than IPS so you see less ghosting.

It's Full HD with HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA connections. Obviously for the best picture you should use HDMI or DisplayPort if your PC supports those.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0158L13...subtag=1406504
    Looks like, never ever used an AOB before, but since you have given me a good suggestion, I now feel compelled to at least give it a serious thought. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't necessarily find the Intel sysclass entries for brightness if you aren't using a mobile Intel GPU and internal notebook panel.
    OK.

you are using D-SUB or VGA cabling it is not possible to control the brightness of this monitor's backlight from the computer
    Right.

From the picture the brightness and contrast doesn't look too bad.
    I am really happy to hear that.

Persevere with the stiff buttons
    Yes, I have no other option as of now.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In KDE for example there are sliders for Gamma adjustment in display settings (I'm not aware of an equivalent for GNOME)
    Today, I by accident came across a few apps that to my mind are helpful or may be helpful when it comes to adjusting brightness. I am still not 100% sure though. They are "Brightness Control", "Adjust Brightness Icon", "Change PC Brightness" and "Brightness Control (Xrandr)" when I by mistake typed the words "brightness" in the app search field. I managed to install the first 3 of them without any issues whatsoever, but I could not install the 4th one (the last one) ie "Brightness Control (Xrandr)" and I just hung the PC when I tried to install by pressing the install button. I have put the screenshots at the following site for your to see, please give me your views on these apps. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/rqOzYKg
    Last edited by tech291083; 2nd March 2019 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They would serve to reduce the brightness from whatever value it is currently set at on the monitor and not increase it higher or back to 100% should the buttons on the monitor fail completely. It's most likely altering the display gamma value via xrandr incrementally when you move the slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They would serve to reduce the brightness from whatever value it is currently set at on the monitor and not increase it higher or back to 100%
    You are 100% right.

It's most likely altering the display gamma value via xrandr incrementally when you move the slider
    There are no sliders that I have come across so far. May be I need to look further. Thanks.

One more thing as mentioned earlier, I did try to install one app called "Brightness Control (Xrandr)" and it just froze the PC. Even since I have not been able to boot to "Gnome on Xorg" at all.

But I am able to boot to other options without any issues namely Gnome and Gnome Classic. I have no problem using Gnome, but it for some reason unknown to me keeps crashing and brings the system back to login screen. I did start a fresh thread on this very issue just a few days ago and I was advised to use "Gnome on Xorg", which I did and there was no problem whatsoever for some many days on the trot, but it was yesterday only that I could no longer boot to "Gnome on Xorg".

My earlier thread on the subject is below.

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...-automatically

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The packages I installed to control the brightness of my monitor are

Discrete brightness
    Brightness control (Xrandr)
    Brightness control
    Adjust Brightness icon

Please have a look at the below link so that you can have a clear idea as what packages I installed. Thanks a lot.

https://imgur.com/a/SjTifZP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest I am not really happy with the level or brightness that I am allowed to control via these packages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast