Going on a KDE diet - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Going on a KDE diet

I started to look at Deepin as a Gnome replacement. There is a RAWHIDE live version that does not install, so its a live evaluation only. Deepin is a mix of Gnome with a menu system for tailoring. It comes with a dash for the bottom panel. You can add/remove items from the dash.
    My view is that it is closer to being a touchscreen Linux interface than is Gnome. The Fedora version is not ready. I tried to install a Manjaro version, but the installer crashes. I guess I am forced to wait for an official release.

My Fedora remix version that I install and keep faithfully is from Yandex. RFREMIX includes rpmfusion, all necessary codecs for videos, for viewing youtube and a few programing editors. Aside from some additions, the rest is pure Fedora.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    From a file use, KDE basic, and some applications raised diskspace use to 55gigs
    How do you do that? I mean, how can it be that your KDE setup is using 55GB? From the time I started using Linux, back in 2008, I have always had a / partition of 20GB, which is about half full (half empty if you look at it from the other side). That's the OS and all the programs I use.

Using Fedora 29 df -h shows me:
    Code:
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1        20G  7.6G   12G  41% /
    /dev/sda3        94G  6.6G   82G   8% /home
    /dev/sdb1       458G   37G  398G   9% /Data

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

indeed, there must be all manner of additional crap installed to get that high

Code:
    [antikythera@Aures ~]$ df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    dev             3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /dev
    run             3.7G  1.1M  3.7G   1% /run
    /dev/sda3        62G   11G   51G  17% /
    tmpfs           3.7G  3.6M  3.7G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs           3.7G  8.4M  3.7G   1% /tmp
    /dev/sda2       985M   96M  839M  11% /boot
    /dev/sda4       267G   61G  193G  24% /home
    /dev/sda1       123M  250K  123M   1% /boot/efi
    tmpfs           742M   16K  742M   1% /run/user/1000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I have a standard configuration for partitions.
    ===============================================
    260meg for /boot/efi vtat
    20gigs for / xfs
    20gigs for /var xfs if on SDD / ext4 if on Rust platter
    8 gigs for swap
    8 gigs for swap hibernate resume= (refer to /etc/default/grub )
    20 gigs for /home. ext4

As I have two older SSD's. Because of their technology, I keep 20 gigs unallocated. I run fstrim -a every 14 days
    I also have 4 x 1 terrabyte drives on which I try different interfaces. KDE is what I am getting more accustomed to as Gnome keeps slip-sliding away from my enthusiasm..

Every distribution that I install has $HOME/bin=>/scratch/leslie/bin, $HOME/Documents=>/scratch/leslie/Documents etc. Essentially, the $HOME directories that are visible are redirected to a common partition on one of the spinners. I do not relocate the dot dirs such as .config or .local, etc.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 8th April 2019 at 02:03 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWJones
    It seems my Linux usage has come full circle. I was a big fan of early Gnome, it was the first desktop environment I used on Linux. Then Gnome 3 came along, and I joined the Gnome 3 haters club. From there, I moved to using Xfce. I've tried to use KDE on various occasions, but it always ends up disappointing me with too many options, and strange bugs that never seem to be resolved, regardless of version.

I've tried at various times to go the window manager only route, using openbox, spectrwm, dwm, i3, cwm, etc. I usually spend more time tweaking, and less time getting things done. As a 33 year macOS power user, most serious work gets done on my Mac. Linux and BSD has mostly been a hobby of mine, since 1999.

Most recently I had taken to using Cinnamon, but found that I was back to lots of tweaking. I realized that I was tired of the same old desktop metaphor, with panels, widgets, too many options, etc. It's all a distraction that takes away from getting meaningful work done.

Now, I am happily using Gnome 3, and it's like an epiphany and a revelation. So simple, so effective, so uncluttered. My hands rarely leave the keyboard. I've spent almost no time tweaking the default setup; it just makes good sense. I'm now doing lots of work in Linux, that I formerly did on the Mac.

Additionally, I am back to using Fedora, which I last used at version 11. I've been mostly using Slackware and some Debian until now. Both Fedora and Gnome 3 are very refreshing; everything just works really well for me, with no muss or fuss. Ironically, my first Linux was Red Hat 6.0 "Hedwig" in 1999, bought at a brick-and-mortar software store, with CDs and a printed book.

Like I said, I've come full circle.
    That pretty much sums up me too, apart from the work bit as using Linux for me is not work related in any way... But, I'm back here too, been away a while :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38
    That pretty much sums up me too, apart from the work bit as using Linux for me is not work related in any way... But, I'm back here too, been away a while :-)
    With Fedora 30, Manjaro and with Deepin website, I discovered Deepin. I am currently using the Fedora 30 version. I am seriously thinking to not continue with Gnome for a few reasons. -- The extensions I used, no longer work. Others that I found as substitutes are somewhat crippled, and most of all, Gnome is not a community distribution, but is driven by the Big five distributions.

Deepin has it's quirks. It uses sound notifications and the Fedora 30 version now has sound notifications that can be turned off. its got the dash-to-doc built-in, but no TaskBar, just a dash-to-doc that kills other extensions if you turn the former on.

So, I am also going to install Vanilla Deepin from their website, to compare with the Fedora 30 version. It is likely that I will continue with the F30 version as it is OK.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KDE - mixed feelings.

I've used KDE lately and on two occasions I've had a problem in which it won't load Plasma after I enter my password. The issue persists, but can be solved by creating a new user account. The funny thing is that this problem occurs at random, rather than after a system update or a tweak.

I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I had to log in as root and create a new user account for myself (with all the desktop settings refreshed) and as of today this problem has happened again. I'm scratching my head.

KDE is really good. I'd use XFCE over Gnome... I've moved away from Gnome. I don't like it, even with the shell extensions added. Shell extensions give me things like "open terminal here" which should be available in the first place (as with KDE) too bad Plasma is causing me grief. Maybe I should move from 29 -> 30 and see if the new version is any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird, I have not experienced your problems with KDE. When you created a new account, and it worked, were you able to then use the old one?
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never checked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using KDE, Gnome, and deepinOS. They all have strengths and weekness. Mostly using KDE nowadays. I like its advance settings over the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VernDog
    I'm using KDE, Gnome, and deepinOS. They all have strengths and weakness. Mostly using KDE nowadays. I like its advance settings over the others
    I use the same three. I find that I like the launcher of Deepin at the bottom, though I do want to change one icon from red to black background.

With Gnome, I use an extension that copies the dash to the top left corner, and I find that I got to like it there. Its essentially the dash exposed. My favorite gnome extension is TaskBar for which I have a patch, and it works just fine in a pure gnome environment.

I wish we really could mix and match GUI interfaces. There are many aspects of KDE that I like, ditto for gnome and Deepin.

I tried Fedora's elementary emulation "Pantheon Desktop" but did not like it's implementation.

I know this is the Fedora forum, but has anyone tried Ubuntu and stayed with it as their favorite?
    By the way, I use SUSE Tumbleweed for KDE and Gnome. I much prefer SUSE's very nice thought-out grub menu to that horrid text mode grub menu from Fedora. With the SUSE menu, I launch Fedora.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GASOLINE
    I use XFCE (even on highend machines) for years but wanna try in Virtualbox KDE for learning. Seems it has some nice features and a good filemanager.
    I am on your camp! I use xfce as well - everywhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2