FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going on a KDE diet

For the past 10 years, I "grew up" with Gnome. I have watched and lived through all the incarnations to even the Fedora 30, Rawhide version(s) , I thought it would be useful to learn about KDE, Since I read good things about KDE's Plasma. I am confident that my one to two month gnome abandonment to delve into KDE will be most interesting.

I now have both a GNOME 3.30 and a KDE Plasma system installed on my computer. I will struggle to not slip back to Gnome during this one month sojourn.

Are there KDE enthusiasts on this forum?
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 19th February 2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Going on a KDE diet

Hello - I have just made the switch from Windows to Fedora - was dual booting, but decided to make total switch to KDE Fedora after a few lockups/memory blue screens ... F29 KDE has been very solid so far. I enjoy some features, especially the native ability to rdp to windows VMs on the network (Windows 10 has been locked up in a 2GB cell on a proxmox jail...F29 makes visits very easy

Dolphin is intuitive enough, and communicates with the network pretty easily .. love the desktop wallpaper selection...so far, so good.
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never used gnome with fedora, only KDE. it seemed simpler. the controls over virtual desktops and the placement & configuration of windows seemed intuitive. i don't know how windowing system designers think, but the one thing i've wanted since my first bitmap'ed display is the ability to have multiple virtual desktops and control the placement & configuration of windows on them in powerful ways and have that configuration persisted across sessions. i don't use KDE apps other than kwin and konsole and never understood all the attention paid to its other tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mtk
    i've never used gnome with fedora, only KDE. it seemed simpler. the controls over virtual desktops and the placement & configuration of windows seemed intuitive. i don't know how windowing system designers think, but the one thing i've wanted since my first bitmap'ed display is the ability to have multiple virtual desktops and control the placement & configuration of windows on them in powerful ways and have that configuration persisted across sessions. i don't use KDE apps other than kwin and konsole and never understood all the attention paid to its other tools.

Well, I started by using both Dolphin and Nautilus when programming and using vi. (vim).

With terminal, when I used the mouse to mark and copy some text in one file and then paste the text to another terminal window, it just did not work for me.
    With KDE terminal, I can split the screen and use two windows. With Gnome, its a left-half right-half split. A real pita.
    With Nautilus, I was able to copy and paste across files being edited with vim.

From a file use, KDE basic, and some applications raised diskspace use to 55gigs
    Gnome diskspace use for the equivalent was 42gigs. Gigs are important when the supporting drive is a 128gig SSD.
    KDE is very configurable, much more so than Gnome. Gnome has extensions, but with Gnome being a moving target, very few extensions work following a release update.

My view is that Gnome will not be stable where I call it reliable, for another few years. KDE is past the "flacky period", and thats what is important.
    For more application perfection, I use KDE. (Currenly comparing Fedora's KDE and Manjaro's KDE). Its more about the packages available, as look and feel are about identical.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 24th February 2019 at 12:39 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using KDE since I started with Fedora. Actually, any Linux Distro, I tend to use KDE. I just like it. I know where everything is. I don't have to go dig for an app. All apps are in the "Start Menu". Terminal is a "Right Click" anywhere on the screen. But when I'm at the Fedora Booth, I always demo Gnome which is the default with Fedora Workstation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a Gnome user for 12 years, and I know it reasonably well. Each new release removes functionality.
    For a while, Nautilus was great. I could put bookmarks in the dropdown list, but with 330, that was taken away.
    Now, for a trashbin in the desktop, I have to install an extension. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is broken or won't stop working.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction.
    I retried copy and paste. The issue I have is with VIM interfering fully. with VI, all is OK.
    Sorry KDE lovers.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not an enthusiast of any particular desktop environment but at the moment I find KDE fits all my needs better than the others. That's not to say I won't switch away from it again in the future if the developments with Plasma don't suit my workflow or hardware. I actually like the way LXQt is heading right now.

I switched to KDE from MATE a couple of years back. With MATE I had near enough recreated what Plasma 5 does out of the box without realising it. So when I tried Plasma 5 it was like a comfy pair of slippers.

I like Yakuake drop down terminal and call on that for a lot of quick interactions but if I need a proper terminal session to edit a file or apply updates I have a shortcut for that in my 'Favourites' on the application launcher too.

With KDE you can set any custom global shortcuts you want to. I've used that feature to help transition Windows users to Linux because you can copy all the Windows shortcuts they are already used to and apply them to KDE and it's installed programs.

The only thing it doesn't do is the BSOD but that can be covered by installing a screensaver too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I'm not an enthusiast of any particular desktop environment but at the moment I find KDE fits all my needs better than the others. That's not to say I won't switch away from it again in the future if the developments with Plasma don't suit my workflow or hardware. I actually like the way LXQt is heading right now.

I switched to KDE from MATE a couple of years back. With MATE I had near enough recreated what Plasma 5 does out of the box without realising it. So when I tried Plasma 5 it was like a comfy pair of slippers.

With KDE you can set any custom global shortcuts you want to. I've used that feature to help transition Windows users to Linux because you can copy all the Windows shortcuts they are already used to and apply them to KDE and it's installed programs.

The only thing it doesn't do is the BSOD but that can be covered by installing a screensaver too
    Ditto about the shortcuts .. one of the first things I started doing was Windows-D to get the desktop, but of course it didn't work - discovered CTRL-F12, which can be changed in KDE -- very nice feature ...
    I am enjoying my KDE experience with F29. Only challenge so far was network printing to a printer shared by a windows 7 laptop ..(had to enable LPD printing on the laptop - this made CUPS happy) ..

I have a Windows 10 VM available if I ever need, but so far, the F29 and KDE are doing the job.
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I typically use LXDE and XFCE. I've never really been a KDE fan, but, I've been toying with it of late and find that is extremely attractive and usable in my humble opinion. It is actually quite nice.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use XFCE (even on highend machines) for years but wanna try in Virtualbox KDE for learning. Seems it has some nice features and a good filemanager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems my Linux usage has come full circle. I was a big fan of early Gnome, it was the first desktop environment I used on Linux. Then Gnome 3 came along, and I joined the Gnome 3 haters club. From there, I moved to using Xfce. I've tried to use KDE on various occasions, but it always ends up disappointing me with too many options, and strange bugs that never seem to be resolved, regardless of version.

I've tried at various times to go the window manager only route, using openbox, spectrwm, dwm, i3, cwm, etc. I usually spend more time tweaking, and less time getting things done. As a 33 year macOS power user, most serious work gets done on my Mac. Linux and BSD has mostly been a hobby of mine, since 1999.

Most recently I had taken to using Cinnamon, but found that I was back to lots of tweaking. I realized that I was tired of the same old desktop metaphor, with panels, widgets, too many options, etc. It's all a distraction that takes away from getting meaningful work done.

Now, I am happily using Gnome 3, and it's like an epiphany and a revelation. So simple, so effective, so uncluttered. My hands rarely leave the keyboard. I've spent almost no time tweaking the default setup; it just makes good sense. I'm now doing lots of work in Linux, that I formerly did on the Mac.

Additionally, I am back to using Fedora, which I last used at version 11. I've been mostly using Slackware and some Debian until now. Both Fedora and Gnome 3 are very refreshing; everything just works really well for me, with no muss or fuss. Ironically, my first Linux was Red Hat 6.0 "Hedwig" in 1999, bought at a brick-and-mortar software store, with CDs and a printed book.

Like I said, I've come full circle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some excellent YouTube presentations about KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc. I am using the KDE video stuff to configure KDE to my liking. I generally run with vanilla settings as delivered by the distribution.
    Leslie in Montreal