[SOLVED] I want the grub boot manager only on the drive containing the Fedora installation.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want the grub boot manager only on the drive containing the Fedora installation.

Hello, guys. I haven't installed a Linux distro since Fedora 18 and so the installation process may have changed a great deal since then. It's been a while. Anyway, I've created a FedoraLiveCD on a USB stick and I can see it as an available EFI boot option from the 'F8' boot menu. This is the way I would like to boot Fedora, via the BIOS boot menu. I do not want any other drive touched by the installation process. Would temporarily setting the 2nd drive as the first boot option in CMOS setup guarantee this?

My setup is:
    1st drive: M.2 SSD 1.92TB: Windows 10 Pro
    2nd drive: SATA3 SSD 1TB: Currently also Windows 10 Pro. I would like the Fedora installation process to format this drive and install the OS on it.
    3rd drive: SATA3 SSD 1TB
    4th drive: HDD 2TB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: I want the grub boot manager only on the drive containing the Fedora installation

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbit
    Hello, guys. I haven't installed a Linux distro since Fedora 18 and so the installation process may have changed a great deal since then. It's been a while. Anyway, I've created a FedoraLiveCD on a USB stick and I can see it as an available EFI boot option from the 'F8' boot menu. This is the way I would like to boot Fedora, via the BIOS boot menu. I do not want any other drive touched by the installation process. Would temporarily setting the 2nd drive as the first boot option in CMOS setup guarantee this?

My setup is:
    1st drive: M.2 SSD 1.92TB: Windows 10 Pro
    2nd drive: SATA3 SSD 1TB: Currently also Windows 10 Pro. I would like the Fedora installation process to format this drive and install the OS on it.
    3rd drive: SATA3 SSD 1TB
    4th drive: HDD 2TB
    You can tell the installer which specific drive to use (only select drive 2) and it will ignore the rest. As you have an EFI system you'll need to create an EFI partition on that drive and mount it as /boot/efi. Use the custom partition option in the installer to do all of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I want the grub boot manager only on the drive containing the Fedora installation

OK, I will leave the boot order priority unchanged and follow these steps tomorrow after work.

Select the 2nd drive, and chose Custom partitioning.
    Delete all existing partitions.
    Create a 250 MB /boot/efi partition
    Create a 933 GB / (root) partition
    Create a 20 GB swap partition. I have 16GB RAM

...and expect the Grub boot manager to be installed on that same drive? In this case sdb?
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." --Unknown.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, I will leave the boot order priority unchanged and follow these steps tomorrow after work.

...and expect the Grub boot manager to be installed on that same drive? In this case sdb?
    yes. however, if Fedora does set itself as primary boot in the EFI menu you can change it back to Windows with efibootmgr in linux terminal. See the efibootmgr man page but it's really easy to use.

The installer will not write to the Windows drive's EFI partition though as long as you do not select that drive which is the most important thing here. If it is pre-ticked, untick it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My M.2 drive was indeed left unmolested. Thanks for your help, antikythera.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." --Unknown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dosent work with me

CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC
    Last edited by salmino; 16th March 2019 at 09:10 PM.