FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Comparison Ryzen 5 1600X vs. 5 2600

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    From the benchmarks I saw (just looked again) idle power consumption seems to be the same 1600 and 2600. But the base clock is 200 Mhz higher in the 2600. Sounds like a 'win' to me . Plus there is the "Precision Boost 2" and "XFR2" technology that may enter the picture with the 2600.
    yeah but he has a 1600X which is faster at base and boost clocks than the 2600. if the power consumption idle is being measured the same it shows the reduced nm die made very little difference

the next generation Zen core will be a much bigger step

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Looking forward to that next gen ... even though I have more processing power right now than I know what to do with . Seems weird to say that ... but true.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Yep. Looking forward to that next gen ... even though I have more processing power right now than I know what to do with . Seems weird to say that ... but true.
    I won't upgrade mine either until AM4 processors are end of line or my board won't take any newer models. Then maybe if I am overloading the Ryzen 5 1600 at that point with more demanding games I'll consider it. At present it's not breaking a sweat even with the latest AAA titles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my current situation I have the following connundrum:
    1. I create a 20GB shared memory segment, where I construct my "galaxy" (or part thereof, that's the latest issue I solved, so I can split the galaxy across servers), which has 400,000,000 stars/celestial large objects, with the majority of stars having between 3 and 20 planets.
    2. The celestial objets within the galaxy actually "move" across "cycles" (15 minutes per cycle), I use barnes-hut, as a self-modified octo-tree, to calculate orbits, and that is A LOT of double precision calculations.
    3. The trifecta is of course the fleets of ships from the players, which also move around at a myriad of different speeds, and vector-based trajectories, mine fields, anchorages, etc.

So, I need: high clock speed to traverse the ram (also, the faster the ram the better), and also fast floating point calculations, with FFTs for curve fittings, and all else is basically pow and arithmetic.
    One good thing is that I can parallelize almost everything based on "ids" etc.

My setup needs to closely resemble my server(s), which at the moment are being moved to Epyc (7351's with lower clock cycles then the Ryzens, but wider ram access). so I automated stuff at night, however when the tests are finished, the machine sits idle, which is why I went looking for the 2600, which at the moment won't save me any idle power, however at max load it will hehe, I'll live with that for a while.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Well, interestingly, the idle wattage on the 2600 is the same as the idle wattage on the 1600X , at least on my Mobo, where, when the 2600 is plugged in, it does not have any "Power Saving" mode available.
    The loaded wattage measured is 20W lower on the 2600.

What I have "felt" when using the PC is that the 2600 is more "rubber-boundy", i.e. less "crisp".

I will use the 2600 for a few months, then I will revert to the 1600X, and post my findings again on here.
    I want to bet (friendly bet) that you will not be reverting back to the 1600. But you may be upgrading to the newer 3000x model cpu. Psychologically, Driving a recent model cadillac is better than driving last year's Chevrolet. Ergo, having a 3000x cpu is good for the soul.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I want to bet (friendly bet) that you will not be reverting back to the 1600. But you may be upgrading to the newer 3000x model cpu. Psychologically, Driving a recent model cadillac is better than driving last year's Chevrolet. Ergo, having a 3000x cpu is good for the soul.
    You maybe right on that one, I will have to owe you a beer then. However, ultimately I want to use a Threadripper, to more closely emulate what my servers will be doing, without having to fork out thousands of zulaks.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah you'd have to save hard or need to rob a bank for the 32-core TR4, it does look very good on paper though and it's still cheaper than the Intel i9-9960X which has half as many cores

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2