FlatPaks Do-Able If It Isn't Gnome?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FlatPaks Do-Able If It Isn't Gnome?

Any way to install the flatpak repo and install flatpaks on something other than Workstation?

The howto's at the Flathub site and the Fedora wiki aren't getting it done here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FlatPaks Do-Able If It Isn't Gnome?

Does this help? https://fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-flatpak/

I think it assumes you're on workstation though and have the flatpak command already installed, if you don't you'd need to install it from the Fedora repos first ("dnf list |grep -i flatpak" should find it, if not check out the provides option to dnf).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belated thanks for that. Works just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a FYI. Since we are discussing Flatpaks, Fedora (meaning Red Hat) is developing a version of Fedora Workstation that is based on an immutable base OS with most (eventually all?) applications installed as sandboxed Flatpaks. The project is called Silverblue. So far Silverblue is only offered with the Gnome Desktop. I have installed Silverblue on my test computer and I'm impressed so far. As expected, administrative chores are different, but once installed and set up, a user wouldn't be able to discern between Silverblue and the regular Gnome Workstation. I have found a few hiccups, but all in all not bad for where it is in it's development phase. Here is the Documentation.

Here is a snippet from this Document
    What’s the future vision?
    By F29, the Atomic variant will be at feature parity with the traditional variant and ready for ageneral audience. Container-based development workflows will be supported with the initialrelease of the pet container tooling.
    By F30, the Atomic variant will be the preferred Workstation offering. The new container toolwill have a well-rounded feature set.

Note: "Atomic variant" has since been named Silverblue.
    "By F30, the Atomic variant will be the preferred Workstation offering." seems to indicate this might be the future of Fedora Workstation?

I wouldn't recommend this as a daily driver yet, but if you have an extra computer and enjoy tinkering around with computers, consider loading Silverblue and check it out.
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!