Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-02-11 16-10-12.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	30075
    [bobx@nova Pictures]$ ps -ef | wc
    519 4938 47339

let's see:
    1. moving 5TB videos from an old hard drive on USB3.0 to a new internal hard drive
    2. Installing GTA5 on Virtualbox
    3. Watching Linus Tech Tips on y00t00b
    4. Installing GTA4 on Playonlinux
    5. Editing a flowchart on DIA
    6. Ktorrent DLing at max speed
    7. VNCviewers on 5 servers
    8. Synergy to 2 other PCs
    9. a gazillion terminals open
    10. Editing code on KATE with it's unbeatable mini-map.
    11. About to render a movie with cinelerra
    12. Working on a Blender model for my game
    13. Posting here

That's called happiness, my Ryzen 1600X is kicking arse and taking names.
    my temps look rather meek.

Name:	happy_temp_Screenshot_2019-02-11_16-17-24.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	30076

And I will only need to reboot when I run my next kernel upgrade.
    pffff
    waiting for my Vertagear vg-pl6000 chair now, will arrive tomorrow I hope .... then I'll be even happier. My 6 year old crappy spartan chair has had it.
    EDIT: and if we can even imagine being happier, it will happen once the package my bro is sending from Vegas arrives with 2 new keyboards. I managed to kill my "F" key on my Airfox K30.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ahhh happiness

Bob, that list is fanstastic. So you spent your weekend doing what you enjoy the most.

The Ryzen systems with Linux is a perfect technical marriage. Its as good as it can get.

You have me interested in Kate. I never bothered to try it, but now...
    I like your top ten list, I would have to eliminate two items. I would say, merge 2 and 4, and drop 11, since "about" means that it to be done.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    there is no better editor, all sorts of options, but the mini-map beats all of the other editors I have tried.

Name:	kate_c_Screenshot_2019-02-11_18-37-19.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	30077
    or

Name:	kate_php_Screenshot_2019-02-11_18-35-18.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	30078

I tested other editors with mini-maps, but either you can't drag-scroll on the mini map, which you can do in Kate, or, the mini-map does not show the complete program, which is utter BS.
    I have been editing code since 1978, and I can tell you, there is no better editor, for simplicity of operation and configurability.
    HOWEVER: I always set "Tools-> Indentation = NONE" , cuz their method of indenting SUX , I am a strict K&R indenter, and all those "new" methods, like opening a key on the right, and closing it on the left are all complete and utter cr4p.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Geany in Linux, but I'll have to look at Kate again. Does Kate support multiple files open using an easy tab like interface. In Windows I 'really' like Notepad++. That editor works for me.
    As for indenting I agree with stupid open brace on the right and the closing brace on the bottom left. Does not flow at all. I was looking at a new language recently and immediately dropped the exercise as it 'forced' this construct. See, I even forgot it's name already. Yuck.

I prefer my 3 space indent rule with NO tabs ever in a file. All blocks are lined up including the braces. Same with Pascal using begin and end for blocks. Makes for very easy code reading. At a glance you can tell what is in the block and what isn't. Obviously this is my standard (and what my company adopted across the board), but it works for us. Been coding since '81'.

Code:
    int func(int bob)
       {
       if (bob == 0)
          {
          bob = -1;
          }
       return(bob);
       }

And yes, I too am very happy with my Ryzen 2600 system as well. Hums along very nicely.
    Last edited by rclark; 11th February 2019 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use K&R 1TBS, personally I don't see much benefit to having the opening brace on a separate line at the expense of some vertical compactness, especially in the good old days of tiny resolution screens and consoles. I also like 2 space indentation, I know it isn't popular, however I can clearly see the indentation at 2 spaces so why use more?

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    NO tabs ever in a file.
    I agree completely, I hate tabs, although I have found some examples where tabs are required instead of spaces, if I remember correctly the last time was for a multi-line sql statement in a bash script being passed to isql, but then that's more to do with that specific command than a programming thing. Given the choice of breaking the code with spaced indentation, no indentation or indenting with tabs I'd still indent over not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We found that two seemed to little indentation and four was to much when you went to multiple levels of indentation. I say 'seemed' because it was a judgement call that we agreed on. As for brace on separate line, it is easy to see which braces are matched with what. Better be in same column as the block. Especially helpful when blocks are more than a small screen size. Vertical compactness was never an issue. If we needed to see the whole picture, we printed it out. Compiler doesn't care if all on one line or many lines. Readability for correctness always comes first. Another 'rule' we instituted is variables should mean something. At least three characters except in special cases like 'x', 'y', and 'z' for coordinates. No 'i's or 'j' or 'p's etc. Again readability always comes first. And did you ever have to search where 'i' is used in a file? Easier to search for 'cnt' or 'max_len', etc.

Yeah, 'make' files for example need tabs. There are special case uses. But in general tabs should be avoided. Our systems ran on Windows and Linux and viewing files with tabs in different editors was a pain... Tabs need to be avoided or at least check the option to turn tabs into spaces in the editor you are using (notepad++ has this feature).
    Last edited by rclark; 12th February 2019 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the same rule for matched braces
    test if yes
    {
    do the yes part
    }
    else
    {
    do the not yes part
    }

I generally take qt-creator to load the c or c++ source(s),
    and I use qt-creator to reformat the source. Indents are at 4 positions

When not using qt-creator, I use vim.
    One reason, its difficult to slip with a finger on the mouse which can clobber some text.
    Vim does colouring, which I use to help me when I omitted a closing quote on a string or a semicolon.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    As for brace on separate line, it is easy to see which braces are matched with what.
    If I have a close brace in column 1 I can easily see that the start of that block is the previous thing vertically in column 1. For example, that would either be "int main() {" or "{" depending on your style convention and both are just as easy to spot in my view thanks to indentation. However, personally I think having the function name and brace on the same line is then easier to read after finding the location, especially if the open brace just happens to fall on row 1 and needs a 1 line scroll to see the line above. Further, my OCD goes nuts if functions have the open brace on a new line but the rest of the open braces don't, I hate the inconsistency of those K&R variants.

Having said that, everyone's different and luckily there are plenty of code beautifiers/formatters these days so people can code how they like and make it all consistent and check in/out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Bob, that list is fanstastic. So you spent your weekend doing what you enjoy the most.

The Ryzen systems with Linux is a perfect technical marriage. Its as good as it can get.

I like your top ten list, I would have to eliminate two items. I would say, merge 2 and 4, and drop 11, since "about" means that it to be done.
    ---
    So glad to see this mention of Ryzen and Linux ... a marriage made in heaven, as I am anticipating replacing my intel Pentium 3220 fedora box with a Ryzen 3 1200 ... was curious about compatibility..I looked up the Passmark rating on the R3 1200, and it is 6737...the older 3220 is 3155...the Ryzen will still be a budget build, but hopefully a bit more zip..
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

box with a Ryzen 3 1200
    One thing nice about it, is if you need more horsepower, just drop in another processor down the road. The AM4 socket will support the 1XXX and 2XXX series processors, and the upcoming 3XXX processors as well (BIOS update probably needed though). I have a 2600 in my R&D box, a 2200G in our home file server, and a 2400G going in our email/browser/general use box (this weekend I should have all the 'parts' to complete the upgrade from an Intel I3 processor). Also have a known good 1600 just waiting in the wings if I ever need it. I like the 'G' CPUs for those machines that don't use heavy graphics, therefore no need for separate GPU cards.
    Enjoy!

Oh I have been running Fedora in a VM (27, 28, 29, and 30) on my R&D box and it working well. All my laptops, desktops, and server are running Mint Cinnamon or LUbuntu.

{edited} The 2400G system is up and running (writing this on the box). Working well too. KUbuntu 19.04 is what I picked for OS. Thought I would kick KDE's wheels this time by actually using it for awhile. FYI, I tried to load latest Mint 19.1, but it wouldn't load... Just a cursor in the corner.
    Last edited by rclark; 19th May 2019 at 01:27 AM.