"nothing to do" when trying to upgrade
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 65.0

Question "nothing to do" when trying to upgrade

I have a fedora instance (virtual server hosted by linode) that was on Fedora 24 a few weeks ago. Realizing it was waaayyy out of date, I attempted to upgrade it, one version at a time. I followed these Fedora Magazine https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading...-24-fedora-25/ instructions to upgrade to 25 and that worked out. I should have stuck with it, but at some point I tried some other instructions I found for upgrade, which I mistakenly thought were more up-to-date, and somehow I wound up on Rawhide on Fedora 26 (I think... DNF was showing Rawhide for everything, and at some point all available in DNF were for Fedora 29 or 30 rather than 26). I was able to get off Rawhide following these steps: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...ormal-release/.

But now I'm stuck on what appears to be Fedora 26, and my attempts to upgrade to Fedora 27 are failing. Here's what I see:

Code:
    $ cat /etc/fedora-release
    Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)
    Then, following [these steps](https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading...6-fedora-27/):

Code:
    $ sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
    Repository InstallMedia has no mirror or baseurl set.
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Sun 10 Feb 2019 04:54:30 PM UTC.
    Dependencies resolved.
    Nothing to do.
    Complete!
    $ sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:30 ago on Sun 10 Feb 2019 04:54:30 PM UTC.
    Package python3-dnf-plugin-system-upgrade-2.0.5-1.fc26.noarch is already installed, skipping.
    Dependencies resolved.
    Nothing to do.
    Complete!
    $ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=27
    Before you continue ensure that your system is fully upgraded by running "dnf --refresh upgrade". Do you want to continue [y/N]: y
    Docker CE Stable - x86_64                                                                                                                                                           33 kB/s |  10 kB     00:00
    Node.js Packages for Fedora Linux 24 - x86_64                                                                                                                                      1.1 MB/s | 307 kB     00:00
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Sun 10 Feb 2019 04:55:32 PM UTC.
    Dependencies resolved.
    Nothing to do.
    Complete!
    Download complete! Use 'dnf system-upgrade reboot' to start the upgrade.
    To remove cached metadata and transaction use 'dnf system-upgrade clean'
    $ sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
    The system reboots, and:

Code:
    $ cat /etc/fedora-release
    Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)
    No change.

What can I do to get my system in a good state and continue upgrading, one version at a time, to 29? Is there any more diagnostic information I should post here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Linux Firefox 60.0

Re: "nothing to do" when trying to upgrade

Did you try a reboot after the 'upgrade' to switch to the new version?
    Change - the only constant.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

Baring some other constraint, I really suggest backing up all your data to thumbdrives or CDs or "the cloud", downloading F29 live, spin of your choice, and burning it to a disk (or a thumbdrive using the Fedora Media Writer to burn it). It's pretty easy to see if that live version will work with your hardware and easy to see what comes by default these days.

You probably have collected some software that's not on the ISOs, so you may want to make note of anything you commonly use that's not there. After the fresh install you'll probably find what you need in the repos, and I'm sure people in this forum can and will help with any problems you run into.

As jbuckley said, back up all your data.
    Then try
    # dnf clean all
    and try dnf update after that.
    This may or may not help, but I don't think it will hurt anything.
    It's worth a try as a last ditch before installing a fresh Fedora 29.
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 65.0

Thanks for the responses and assistance. Yes I have rebooted several times. `dnf clean all` removed 19 files and didn't hurt anything, but didn't seem to fix the state either.

I have a tar file backup (created by a script I wrote), I was just hoping I wouldn't have to confirm it caught everything I need and figure out how to restore from that; but maybe a fresh install is the route I'll need to go, as I haven't figured out the solution to this yet.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 72.0.3626.81

Well, I upgraded a server from F21 to F29 - and it was not that hard.

Remember to "Install the package signing key for the release you are upgrading to"
    (cf. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...ger#packagekey )

^^^
    I think this should be your source to upgrade your machine. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rockaday
    I have a tar file backup (created by a script I wrote), I was just hoping I wouldn't have to confirm it caught everything I need and figure out how to restore from that; but maybe a fresh install is the route I'll need to go, as I haven't figured out the solution to this yet.
    Just a suggestion. If you end up doing a fresh install, consider putting the Fedora OS on a small ( 64 GB or 128 GB) SSD , then putting ALL your data on a large second SSD or hard drive. Then if you have problems with the OS, just disconnect the DATA SSD and do whatever you have to do to get the OS back going. Then hook the DATA SSD back up, a quick edit of /etc/fstab and you're back in business with no risk to your data. Also putting all your data on a single partition on a separate SSD makes it real easy to back the data up with rsync to a third SSD or hard drive.

Here is a guide I wrote that discusses this and how to do it.

https://pudges-place.ddns.net/Fedora...ora_Server.pdf
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 59.0

An alternate method of upgrading to the latest distro version is to issue the following command as root:

dnf --releasever=29 distro-sync
    This will check dependencies and if there are no conflicts, list all the packages to install and then give you the option to discontinue.
    Once all the packages are installed you will have to manually reboot. It is the method I use since F20 though I rsync a copy of the running system to another partition and confirm that works before I upgrade.
    Post #14 here summarizes my procedure https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...ade-F20-gt-F23
    That's pre EFI boot.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpads Depends on era T23 - X2xx
    AMD & Intel Boxes