Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    15
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Some more testing:
    with /etc/gdm/custom.conf having these lines in the daamon section
    [daemon]
    # Uncomment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
    #WaylandEnable=false
    WaylandEnable=true
    DefaultSession=gnome-xorg.desktop

    and selecting from the login cog either "gnome classic" or "gnome on xorg" it continues to fail.
    If you choose "gnome" (which I had not done before) it appears to be OK. Certainly the ways I was doing before to make it fail does not appear to fail.
    I have rebooted etc and behaviour does not change.

    The reasons I like "gnome classic" is the pull down "Applications" menus and also the "minimize, full screen etc" at the top of the active window. Anyway I can get that with new gnome version (I think not).

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    santa barbara, CA
    Posts
    1,069
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Question, can you lower the display memory Mhz somehow ? (Bios or Tuning App)
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,812
    Linux Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Question, can you lower the display memory Mhz somehow ? (Bios or Tuning App)
    not without under-clocking the entire system since it is shared RAM

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    15
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    I have logged this as a bug now as
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109610
    Bug 109610 - i915 xorg display corruption on ctrl-alt-F3
    Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    santa barbara, CA
    Posts
    1,069
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Quote Originally Posted by luigicantoni
    I have logged this as a bug now as
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109610
    Bug 109610 - i915 xorg display corruption on ctrl-alt-F3
    Thanks to everyone for your help so far.
    Interesting, reading everything regarding SKL watermarks ... funny. Either the naming is just bad, or they are planning to DRM us **onto** the screen without us noticing it lol....
    (maybe part of their paranoia-based planetary control mechanism, so they can identiy the actual person from his screenshots..)
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,812
    Linux (Android 6.0) Android Browser 4.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Interesting, reading everything regarding SKL watermarks ... funny. Either the naming is just bad, or they are planning to DRM us **onto** the screen without us noticing it lol....
    (maybe part of their paranoia-based planetary control mechanism, so they can identiy the actual person from his screenshots..)
    Yep that's something more for the foil hat brigade to start whining about by the looks of it. I get the need for DRM but it does interfere at times. As and when they introduce DRM to USB as well expect life to get more complicated still for Linux users with brand new hardware initially as support will as always be slightly behind the curve.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Quote Originally Posted by luigicantoni

    The reasons I like "gnome classic" is the pull down "Applications" menus and also the "minimize, full screen etc" at the top of the active window. Anyway I can get that with new gnome version (I think not).
    Install the gnome extension "Applications Menu" https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ications-menu/
    Install/Use gnome-tweaks and turn on max/min in "Window Titlebars"

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    15
    Linux (Fedora) Chrome 72.0.3626.81

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Denis 2019-02-12 10:11:16 UTC
    hi, everything you wrote sounds very similar to these issues:
    All CLOSED now
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107951
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106478
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108257

    and here is a link to patch series which fixed this issue:
    https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/51878/

    Available in drm-tip from intel, and not sure about main kernel source.

    Comment 2 Denis 2019-02-12 10:18:48 UTC
    upd

    found one of mentioned patches in torvalds/linux
    https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...3b1a2d303afe80
    According to the tag, these patches available on v5.0-rc6, or, as I said higher - in drm-tip from intel.

    HI All,
    I will wait for the patch in the new kernel (I don't do kernel patches).
    Hogweed, thanks for the suggestion to get the features I love. I am working on that now and I think I can gnome-tweak the bits I want. Thanks again.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    santa barbara, CA
    Posts
    1,069
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

    Re: Fedora 29 onboard video memory problem

    Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Yep that's something more for the foil hat brigade to start whining about by the looks of it. I get the need for DRM but it does interfere at times. As and when they introduce DRM to USB as well expect life to get more complicated still for Linux users with brand new hardware initially as support will as always be slightly behind the curve.
    LOL, I wasn't tht far off I see. My stench detector is working properly.
    GREED will destroy the planet.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 27 - onboard LAN problem
    By linuzmario in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th November 2017, 06:34 PM
  2. Onboard video not working for third monitior.
    By FXOdaGGoth in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd March 2012, 08:30 PM
  3. Dual Video Cards, ATI PCI & Via Onboard
    By IamQuasar in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th October 2010, 09:51 PM
  4. FC7 .. onboard video help
    By fluk3d in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th October 2007, 01:18 PM
  5. Onboard Memory Card reader
    By diodoi in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th June 2005, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •