unistall package without removing others
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

unistall package without removing others

Hi,
    I have a Fedora 29 and I need to install a software that uses Qt library but it must be version 4.8.7. I tried to install it from source, so... I downloaded qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.7.tar but the installation failed.
    I followed the following post to install it: http://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/install-x11.html
    Now, I want to install the one that I downloaded from the fedora repository but I cannot because It says that Qt is already installed.

So... I tried to uninstalled my previous version with:
    dnf remove qt-1:4.8.7-44.fc29.x86_64

but it tries to uninstall lots of things that I need (for example python, etc). The message after dnf remove... is attached.

So... how can I uninstall just my Qt library? Of course, I am not a linux expert...

Thanks in advance
    Eugenia
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

Re: unistall package without removing others

I'm confused, the version you have installed IS a 4.8.7 version. so you shouldn't need to install another version from source.

Though if you do, you can just leave the system version installed and install the version from source into /usr/local/, which is usually the default when compiling from source. You might need to add a file called 99local.conf into /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ with the line: /usr/local/lib if you do that.

There IS a way to just delete a specific rpm, but it is generally not recommended because it bypasses dnf and uses rpm directly: rpm -e --nodeps
    Running Fedora 29 64-bit on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, 3.6GHz i7-4790 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads), 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD, EVGA GTX1050 TI SC 4GB GDDR5 video card. Vizio E221-A1 22" 1080p HDTV, using 1080P (1920x1080) over HDMI

I'm not sure it will help, but you might try installing the fedora package with dnf install with the --allowerasing option. It may allow you to overwrite the existing version.
    Or it may fail, but it's worth a shot. Good luck.
    (It's a hobby, but I like it)

As mentioned above the Fedora installed version is 4.8.7. Can you say what the software you are trying to install is and why it doesn't work with the system Qt? I also don't think you want to remove Fedora packages unless you really know what you are doing.
    Last edited by hogweed; 5th February 2019 at 01:51 AM.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 65.0

Is this software you're installing being compiled from source? If so do you have the QT devel package installed? As above, we need more info on what you're trying to install and how.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Thanks to all of you. I want to uninstall it because I had some errors during the installation. It was not an rpm package.
    But somehow the program I am interested in, seems to like the Qt installed..
    So, if at the end is not ok, I will try to install the rpm using the -allowerase option.

Thanks for the susggestions.

Regards
    Eugenia

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 65.0

Quote Originally Posted by eugene1980
    Thanks to all of you. I want to uninstall it because I had some errors during the installation. It was not an rpm package.
    Please can I confirm that you want to unsinstall QT because something else you're trying to install, which is not an rpm, can't find it? This doesn't sound like an issue with the installed QT, but whatever else you're trying to install can't find it, what is it that you're trying to install and how are you doing the install?