brave browser under fedora 29
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

brave browser under fedora 29

i hope i'm in the right subforum. i have a problem with brave under fedora 29 kde . i've followed these instructions:

https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io...ave.html#linux

under "fedora 28+" :

Code:
    sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/

sudo rpm --import https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc

sudo dnf install brave-browser brave-keyring

problem when i try to update everything:

Code:
    $ sudo dnf check-update 
    created by dnf config-manager from https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/              3.3 kB/s | 8.1 kB     00:02    
    brave-browser                                                                                          1.3 kB/s | 1.4 kB     00:01    
    Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64                                                                             234 kB/s | 1.5 MB     00:06    
    Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                   296 kB/s | 2.0 MB     00:06    
    Fedora 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                           619 kB/s |  21 MB     00:34    
    Fedora 29 - x86_64                                                                                     748 kB/s |  62 MB     01:25    
    cache for package source "brave-browser" could not be synchronized, ignoring this repo.

not only is this repo ignored, it also loads additional components (fedora module). if i close brave and do the following:

Code:
    $ sudo dnf autoremove
    created by dnf config-manager from https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/              3.2 kB/s | 8.1 kB     00:02    
    brave-browser                                                                                          1.3 kB/s | 1.4 kB     00:01    
    Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64                                                                             236 kB/s | 1.5 MB     00:06    
    Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                   287 kB/s | 2.0 MB     00:07    
    Fedora 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                           692 kB/s |  21 MB     00:31    
    Fedora 29 - x86_64                                                                                     788 kB/s |  62 MB     01:21    
    cache for package source "brave-browser" could not be synchronized, ignoring this repo., ignoring this repo.

the fedora components/dependencies are deleted again and i get the same error warning. it seems that brave is not supported, although fedora is decitated on their official website. but the browser package is downloaded anyway and brave itself is usable without any problems.

i don't use firefox anymore, because certain decisions mozilla has made lately seem a bit strange. not to mention their telemetry - behavior ( + i'm tired of the possible and necessary firefox - config, that's growing more and more). also i have a much higher cpu - load under firefox compared to brave - no matter on which operating system. and content - blockers like ublock origin will have a hard time in the future because of google.

questions:

1) why is that so and what components/dependencies (fedora module) are these?

2) + a little off-topic: is hardware - acceleration actually supported in brave under fedora (i know that fedora and ubuntu will provide their own linux hardware acceleration for chromium, because chromium itself doesn't get it)?

noe

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: brave browser under fedora 29

Hi. Dear please beware that brave is not ideal choice because: it is chromium based & recently chromium planned for blocking an option that will KILL add-blocker from practical point of view - read this article carefully:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...rave-browsers/

Also, apart from the above, chromium & subsequently all chromium derivatives have security issue related to the basic nature of chromium itself. You are in fatal mistake

Also, regarding Firefox telemetry, you can block it completely as following: Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security | uncheck 2 boxes under "Firefox Data Collection & Use"

If you are searching for Firefox alternative for better privacy, then IceCat is your ideal choice & no other alternative with such respection for privacy as IceCat (with exception of Tor browser certainly). It is the official Internet browser of GNU foundation. See the following link & read it carefully & do not tired yourself:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

You search for privacy really ?! So, your choice must (not should) IceCat.

I'm sure that you will not tolerates it's sever privacy care .......
    Last edited by User808; 31st January 2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

thx user808,

but that alone doesn't stop firefox from sending home (and to google itself; you're dealing with 2 policies here, if you - for example - have "safe-browsing" enabled too). not to mention pocket.

i used ff for a very long time and have been intensively involved with it and put together a corresponding as well as necessary and elaborate and long "user.config". direct firefox alternatives are imho not up to date and tinkered together. i don't use such things.

brave has cut every connection to google (in contrast to firefox). verifiably. and i've tested it too. he is also prepared for the future when ublock origin & co. no longer work 100% thanks to google. but i do understand your point of view, even if it is incomplete and unfortunately wrong in relation to brave & ff. but let's not have a browser war here. tired of this (since 99 on the web).

my question is about something completely different: why is this error happening? what is wrong? what are these module - dependecies?

thx anyway.

ps: https://twitter.com/brave/status/1088914000379731970
    Last edited by noemata; 31st January 2019 at 12:43 PM.

@noemata

Sorry, it seem that I'm also of incomplete information: as you did not know before about brave I'm also seem to be not well knowledgeable about Firefox ! You orient me ......

I think that eventually we have to move away from Firefox & chromium & chromium derivatives to IceCat .......

Try IceCat & may be suitable to you ...... To me it is excellent but shortage of plugin & add on is bad ........
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

no problem user808,

& take a look at the ghacks "user.config" for firefox. the list is growing immensely. it wouldn't, if mozilla would finally be back on track and reflect on what users want.

brave has really cut every connection to google. that wasn't just a press release. brendan eich goes his own way - as always; despite the chromium base. but, as i read on a german it-page, in the future fedora and ubuntu seem to have their own chromium paths (especially because of the poor chromium - hardware acceleration under linux) too.

i try icecat, i try anything, thx . i'm not narrow-minded. one can try anything.

but: _very officially_ fedora is listed in the download section of brave. if that wasn't so, i could understand some problems.

so, let's go to my original question again. plz.

-
    ot: ps/edit: found something (fedora & chromium) : https://fedoramagazine.org/chromium-...vaapi-support/ .
    ot: suggestion: plz prevent - like brave - any connection to google. i switched to linux/fedora for security/privacy reasons.
    Last edited by noemata; 31st January 2019 at 01:48 PM.

@noemato
    Regarding your original question, I can not help since I'm not interested with brave since the moment I know about it the fact that it is a chromium...... .

But I have following note: Fedora is very fast developing OS ! In fact the most rapid development cycle is here with Fedora OS. For that, Fedora packagers themselves are vulnerable to be unable to follow Fedora in the march !! Many OFFICIAL Fedora packages are broken ! Ex: "dnscrypt-proxy" for Fedora 28. Developer only make partial fix for Fedora 29 + So, I'm not surprising from seeing that external repository failed to follow rapid development of Fedora.

.. as far as brave and chromium are concerned:

https://github.com/brave/brave-brows...ble-or-remove)

that's a lot. and again the twitter link, in case one missed it:

https://twitter.com/brave/status/1088914000379731970

what my post was really about: yes, maybe you're right. sounds logical. thx!

but so many questions remain unanswered. what about brave & vaapi? what about these strange module - dependencies (maybe the isolation-feature of the browser)? why not work together when something is officially offered for fedora? why let the fedora-tweaked-chromium browser make phone calls to google? and why does firefox become the standard browser almost everywhere in the linux world, if firefox also uses a bunch of telemetry (without a big "user.config" and some policy - settings) - not only to mozilla and google. i can't understand such things. maybe, it's a "company thing" normal users like me can't understand.

everyone seems to cook their own soup. no matter if in a windows environment or in a linux environment. when it comes to the web itself, it becomes dangerous for the user in our times. maybe, pi-hole or adguard home is a solution (in terms of privacy).
    Last edited by noemata; 31st January 2019 at 02:57 PM.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Code:
    cache for package source "brave-browser" could not be synchronized, ignoring this repo.
    A repo file can, and usually does, contain multiple sections, with the name defined in square brackets. Example: fedora.repo

Code:
    $ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo | grep "\["
    [fedora]
    [fedora-debuginfo]
    [fedora-source]
    The default for the fedora.repo is to enable "fedora" and disable "fedora-debuginfo" and fedora-source". Your brave-browser repo file has it's "source" section enabled, whether by default or by your own doing. You simply need to disable it to prevent that error.
    Code:
    dnf repolist enabled

Quote Originally Posted by noemata
    it becomes dangerous for the user in our times. maybe, pi-hole or adguard home is a solution (in terms of privacy).
    I do not know about your model of paranoia from Internet, but from your talking, it seem that you are very concerned about privacy. If your model is so sever, then the ultimate solution will be OpenBSD:
    https://www.openbsd.org/

But personally I have no any experiences with OpenBSD & if you need to use it, then you should select correct hardware because it's compatblity with hardware is much less than that of Linux because it does not use Linux kernel ...... In OpenBSD every thing is secure by default & every thing is patched & modified for achieve highest level of security as much as possible ! OpenBSD is difficult & in fact any BSD system (Open, Free, Ghost ....) need more efforts to learn it than Linux & you need to be more adherent from traditional UNIX standards ......

that's not paranoia. that's the current state of the web (and some web-browsers). horrible. fact. i just came fresh from windows. maybe we "newbies" are a little better informed about this topic. proof it for yourself. nothing can be known by being told.

anyway, i am tired of these brave-error messages every time when i run autoremove. brave doesn't seem to be compatible with fedora at the moment. i'm also wondering why no one from fedora is answering here. maybe they don't like brave very much. well, that contradicts the facts, but i don't care. i had to deal with another illogical thing here in private today.

ps: removing brave was not enough. i had to disable the rep (which was/is not deleted in "/etc/yum.repos.d/" ) :

Code:
    dnf config-manager --set-disabled brave-browser

to finally get no more error messages in the console. don't know how do delete it completely.

end: i am otherwise really satisfied with fedora in contrast to so many other distros i tried, but this thread and this silence in the context of brave and this behaviour regarding firefox and chromium makes me sour. but thx@user808. i will try this other browser & pi-hole or adguard home & maybe a new "user.config" for f.. firefox. ps: this "openbsd.org" looks a little strange to me. nope.
    Last edited by noemata; 31st January 2019 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Code:
    A repo file can, and usually does, contain multiple sections, with the name defined in square brackets. Example: fedora.repo

Code:
    $ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo | grep "\["
    [fedora]
    [fedora-debuginfo]
    [fedora-source]
    The default for the fedora.repo is to enable "fedora" and disable "fedora-debuginfo" and fedora-source". Your brave-browser repo file has it's "source" section enabled, whether by default or by your own doing. You simply need to disable it to prevent that error.
    Code:
    dnf repolist enabled
    jesus ( i'm not religious). sorry, i missed your thread. well then i'll try it again (but first, i try to understand what you wrote - so far your instructions have always worked, thank you)!

@noemata

1) to remove brave repository completely, not just disable it, do the following:

a. view the NAMES of all repositories on your system using following command as non root:

ls /etc/yum.repos.d

b. then use following command to delete brave repository, as a root:

sudo rm -f /etc/yum.repos.d/<name-of-repository-file>

Note: <name-of-repository-file> MUST be replaced by name of brave repository EXACTLY EXACTLY as it appear to you from 1st command. Please be very careful, this is a root command not a game.

2) please do not misunderstand me regarding "paranoia" ! Here in Linux (ALL linux & in fact ALL Unix OS) we using word "paranoia" as a surge for the tea ! Being a Linux user or any Unix user this automatically make you under the title "paranoid". I felt that you understood "paranoia" as a mental illness !! NO ! NO ! NO ! We in Linux never use this word in it's medical meaning !! In fact all we (the Unix & Unix based) users are paranoid by default ! You are beginner with Linux, when you read more in Internet you will see what I mean .......

3) stay on Fedora, because it is most secure OS for regular user. OpenBSD this for ultimate advanced user .....

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 72.0.3626.81

The fedora-modules repos are something that was available in F28 but not enabled. In F29, they are enabled by default. They are a "third-party" repo. Have a look here to get an overview of what they are.

On my F29 desktop PC I have them disabled.

@user808 & @pablotwo - thx for your answers. now is the time to understand, decide and implement .

your paranoid-by-default-because-of-facts-ergo-in-future-professional-linux-user (when my nerves and my system are participating) ,
    noe

-
    edit: ok, now:

Code:
    $ ls /etc/yum.repos.d
    fedora-cisco-openh264.repo  fedora.repo                  fedora-updates.repo                  fedora-updates-testing.repo
    fedora-modular.repo         fedora-updates-modular.repo  fedora-updates-testing-modular.repo

before:

Code:
    $ ls /etc/yum.repos.d
    brave-browser.repo                                   fedora-modular.repo          fedora-updates.repo
    brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_.repo  fedora.repo                  fedora-updates-testing-modular.repo
    fedora-cisco-openh264.repo                           fedora-updates-modular.repo  fedora-updates-testing.repo

thx. 808. i hope, everything is fine here? now i decide if i will reinstall brave and continue according to pablo's recommendations.

--
    edit: @ admin: everything: solved. both recommendations worked. and brave is running, just like my console without any "cache-warning". and i begin to understand this "module-thing" just like this "repo-file-source-stuff" and i learned how to delete repos. good community.

good night everybody. what a thread.
    Last edited by noemata; 31st January 2019 at 08:02 PM.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 72.0.3626.81

I also looked into that and did some debugging. I seems that the URLs given in
    /etc/yum.repos.d/brave-browser.repo
    are not valid. I guess that is a problem the guys at Brave have to solve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast