[SOLVED] fedora samba server & MS clients
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

fedora samba server & MS clients

I have introduced a Fedora server into a windows environment.

The purpose is for file sharing and centralized easy backup.
    I would have loved to use NFS (well known to me) , but am using Samba
    - as it is supposed to be easier and more "natural" in the MS environment.

So I grabbed a fixed IP address for a server with Fedora 29 and installed samba following the many articles on the net.
    The MS users cannot see it yet.

I will note that the Fedora machine does not show up on the MS network. The cable router sees it (name and ip), but the host
    does not showup like other windows users would. I assume this is OK but thought I should note it down, in case it matters.

The MS users are NOT using a workgroup currently and I specified one in the smb.conf file (yes I restarted the service) as suggested.

I have configured two spaces (one for the boss) and a public one for the rest of the pcusers in smb.conf. Everything looks right.

I created a fedora samba group (/etc/group) and added the two Linux users to it (bossman and pcuser)

---- here are my notes from my smb.conf file

a) changed workgroup name and server strings

b) I saw these two notes one place but it was not in other notes, (which seemed more authoritative) so I did not do either

unix charset = UTF-8

hosts allow = some ip addresses e.g. 192.168.0 to allow 1-255 for that triplet

c) make sure (there were the defaults in the dist. file)
    "security = user" and "passdb backend = tdbsam"

d) add exports for each and every thing exported - at end of file (below)

[pcuser]
    path = /home/pcuser
    valid users = @smbusers
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0750

[bossman]
    path = /home/bossman
    valid users = bossman
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0750
    ----- end of smb.conf file above

I am not sure that I can let multiple people use "pcuser" but see no reason why not (effectively public for all system users).

So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
    1) must the MS users be in the workgroup I made?
    2) what would be the MS command to mount these file systems?
    --- instructions under MS network file addres say something like
    \\192.168.0.2\pcuser
    but I am not sure what the mount string for MS looks like and tried several.
    3) any other suggestions that help get this resolved greatly appreciated

I know I could do this easily with NFS but then each PC needs to install it and Samba just requires a click to get going on the PC as far as I can see.

Re: fedora samba server & MS clients

They made some changes to smb (Samba) in Windows 10 Version 1803 and after, so I am not sure all of this still works. It should, but who knows.

First, all MS computers that want to have samba access must have network discovery turned on. Network discovery is how the Samba Server sees the other MS computers on the network. I think this is the part that may have played with in Windows 10 Version 1803.

1) must the MS users be in the workgroup I made?

I believe all MS computers that want to access the Samba Server must be in the workgroup specified in the Fedora Samba Server. That way you can control who can get into the samba shares. Example, you are hiring a Temp for a while and don't want them in the samba share. Don't put the temp's computer in the workgroup. Note: For security, don't use the default workgroup name.

For every user you want to give access to the samba server, you must set up a samba user in the samba server. All samba users in samba server need to have a samba password. See here on how to set them up.
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article...rity-in-samba/

2) what would be the MS command to mount these file systems?
    Here is how I set up access to samba shares in Windows.

IN A WINDOWS 7 COMPUTER (Other versions of Windows should be similar)
    Click on the “Computer” icon or "This PC" icon in Widows 10, Then click on “Map Network Drive” to get the following: Click to enlarge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	30017
    in the “Drive” pull down, select S: (I used S for samba) or any other letter for the drive letter to mount Samba Share to.
    In the “Folder” pulldown enter \\FedoraServer\SMBshare ( FedoraServer is the name of my server computer, SMBshare is the name of the share)
    Make sure “Reconnect at logon” is checked
    Click Finish

You will get a dialog box saying Trying to connect
    Then a box asking for username and password. Enter yourSambaUser for user and your SambaUserPassword that was entered with # smbpasswd
    Make sure “Remember my credentials” is checked.
    Go back to “Computer” or "This PC" and in addition to Local Disk C: you should see the SMBshare mounted as Drive S:
    After this, anytime this user logs into this computer, the samba share should be mounted at log-in without user input.

\\FedoraServer\SMBshare In your case substitute YourServerName for FedoraServer and "bossman" for the share name. Or "pcuser"
    BTW \\FedoraServer\SMBshare is case sensitive
    HTH
    Last edited by Pudge; 28th January 2019 at 06:21 AM.
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Once again, many thanks HTH (Pudge :=] )
    ).
    OK - to be totally certain on the Windows side:

//FedoraServer/SMBshare

I believe FedoraServer can be the server name (hostname) or IP (since the windows machines do NOT see the host in their networks
    - see original comment,
    or to reiterate (maybe network discovery will fix this???)
    The cable router sees the host and IP for it (fixed) but the windows machines ONLY see other windows boxes (perhaps printers - they were off when I was testing)
    and yes the windows boxes respond to my ping, but I don't know if windows has a ping command

Now for the tricky part - what should I be entering for "SMBshare"????
    Is this something separate in the smb.conf file?
    or
    should I use either "bossman" or "pcuser" as listed in my posted smb.conf file?
    or
    ???

Finally since ALL the windows users need to share the same files, I have created ONE Linux user == ONE samba user ("pcuser").
    Oh course, "bossman" exists in both Linux and Samba land too. For now the passwords in Fedora and Samba are identical.
    Hopefully this works.

Other than that, it looks like network discovery is required (may fix seeing my host too) and I guess we need a workgroup implemented on the windows boxes.
    I already have a workgroup specified in the smb.conf file.

Thanks for your help and explanations.

HTML Code:
    OK - to be totally certain on the Windows side:
    //FedoraServer/SMBshare
    I believe FedoraServer can be the server name (hostname) or IP (since the windows machines do NOT see the host in their networks

You need back slashes, not forward slashes. Such as \\ServerHostname\ShareName and this is case sensitive.
    Yes, FedoraServer is literally the hostname of my Fedora Server device. Yes, you can also put it the IP address and it will work.

HTML Code:
    Now for the tricky part - what should I be entering for "SMBshare"????
    Is this something separate in the smb.conf file?
    or
    should I use either "bossman" or "pcuser" as listed in my posted smb.conf file?

SMBshare is literally the share name I have set up in the smb.conf file. You would use either "bossman" or "pcuser" depending which share you want to access.

Once you have the network drive mapping set up, in Windows 10 Version 1803, and 1809 I have noticed that on subsequent log-ins and then Click on "This Pc" the share is listed but has a big red X on it. Just click on it and it will bring up the share. What I think is happening, when Windows logs you in, it turns on networking, then checks for the Samba link. I believe that the log in process is checking for the Samba share too quickly and BEFORE the network is fully initialized. So don't let this throw you.

I think you are very close to solving your Samba setup. Good luck.
    Hope That Helps
    Last edited by Pudge; 28th January 2019 at 05:54 PM.

WORKS great. THANKS!

Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks.
    I think both of us still have new tricks to learn.