disable/enable external GPU
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Exclamation disable/enable external GPU

**First of all**, thank you all for the efforts you made and make on this awesome distro. I changed 3 month ago from Ubuntu (after trying also Manjaro, Debian unstable and DeepIn) and I'm simply impressed by Fedora 29 (despite some weird decisions by Gnome).

**The background**

- HP ZBook 15v G5 (GPU: Intel + Nvidia Quadro P600) [ProdID: 4Q36ES#ABD SN#: CND8365PVJ Contains Intel Radio Model: 9560NGW]
    - nouveau causes a very unstable system → blacklisted nouveau and installed proprietary Nvidia drivers instead (rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver)
    - Driver works great, super stable system

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]\]'
    returns:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile) [8086:3e9b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GLM [Quadro P600 Mobile] [10de:1cbc] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer'
    returns

OpenGL renderer string: Quadro P600/PCIe/SSE2
    (no intel card mentioned)

**The issue**

- the external GPU (Nvidia Quadro P600) is always on and quickly drains my battery
    - I rarely need the external GPU (only when working with CAD), but when I need it, I depend on it

**→** I would like to disable the Nvidia card and enable it again, when I need to.

**Approaches so far**

*I tried…*

1. BIOS

Didn't work. I can choose between 'hybrid graphics' [on] (theoretically changes automatically between intel & nvidia) and 'discrete graphics' (Nvidia always on)

2. [FedoraPrime](https://github.com/bosim/FedoraPrime)

…which doesn't work for me. I opened an issue, but the last activity was somewhere in 2017 and there are some more issues lying around, so I don't expect any answer in the next couple of weeks.

*I may try…*

1. adjusting Grub

…as explained [here](https://superdanby.github.io/Blog/de...a-optimus.html) (chapter 2)
    I'm not quite sure, what this adjustment in Grub does exactly. If it only switches the graphic driver from proprietary nvidia to nouveau, then it might just destabilize my system. If it really switches form Nvidia to Intel, then it's just, what I was looking for. I just didn't dare to try it yet as I rely on my laptop for work.

2. 'hiding' Nvidia

I cannot find the tutorial right now. The approach was based on acpi and seemed to require significant effort. The aim was to permanently hide the external graphic card from the system. The author thus recommended the use of 2 parallel systems: one with external graphics always on and one with external graphics always off.

That would be my last option. Also this approach seemed to carry the risk that if one little thing won't work as expected, it might brick my system for a while.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by moedn; 5th February 2019 at 07:38 PM.