WIFI adapter randomly drops
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

WIFI adapter randomly drops

Hello to everyone,

I would imagine this topic has been asked, but here it goes again....

My first time posting on this forum. I am an avid user of Linux and have done Sys Admin (CentOs/REHL) so I am fairly versed using it. But my home laptop seems to having a funky issue. I bought a used Dell E6420 Laptop and installed Fedora 29 on it. I replaced the original HDD with an 500 Gb SSD. It's an i5, 8 gb memory blah blah blah.

The wifi adapter according to dell is a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless network adapter (802.11a/b/g/n).

While I am using it, wifi just disconnects randomly and I have to turn off the switch, turn it back on and wait for it to reconnect. This also happened with the lid closed. So, I disabled power saving in BIOS for it and also with in the OS. I thought this would solve it. Nope. It randomly disconnects while I am using it still. Switch off/on wifi, wait for reconnect, I sometimes have to do this a few times for it re-connect.

I have the adapter set for DHCP - But on my wireless router I have that set to use the same IP using a reservation. I have read on other linux forums of this issue after installing VirtualBox and setting up VM's. This is not the case for me. I bought a USB wifi and it still randomly disconnects. At this point, not sure. Why I am reaching out :-)

BTW, if there's an updated driver for this, I haven't found it. My kernel version is 4.20.3-200

Any ideas why?

Thanks in advanced...

Gsurf

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: WIFI adapter randomly drops

I seem to have developed the same problem in the last 2 or 3 days.

My wireless network adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros, and it too seems to be "dropping" (sort-of) the wifi connection when I close the lid on my laptop. What I'm seeing is that the KDE widget tells me the network is connected (and I'm seeing a little activity - at the bit level), but it's also displaying an exclamation point, indicating somethings not quite right. The browser, in this case Firefox, tells me the server isn't available for every site I try. It comes back after a restart.

Seems like a bug.

Added:
    I just resurrected my bugzilla account and did a search. That came up with this for F29: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1108801 . The bug seems to have a history going back to 2014 and the 3.15 kernel.

"Wireless connections established with 3.15 kernels is extremely unstable, slow, unreliable.
    The connection is not "formally" lost, still, pinging any external server shows that more than 75% of the packets are lost. Using any web browser is extremely difficult."
    Last edited by jbuckley2004; 26th January 2019 at 08:39 PM.

Linux Firefox 66.0

I have the same issue. I had high hopes that yesterday's firmware updates would fix it, but they didn't.

I'm using an Intel 8265 and the iwlwifi driver. My system is fully updated Fedora 29. As others have reported, the connection seems to still be "up" when the problem occurs, but switching wi-fi off and back on fixes the problem, temporarily. A few minutes later, it happens, again.

Linux Firefox 60.0

The lid closed issue is a power saving setting somewhere. I am at a loss to tell you where, however.
    Change - the only constant.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    I seem to have developed the same problem in the last 2 or 3 days.

My wireless network adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros, and it too seems to be "dropping" (sort-of) the wifi connection when I close the lid on my laptop. What I'm seeing is that the KDE widget tells me the network is connected (and I'm seeing a little activity - at the bit level), but it's also displaying an exclamation point, indicating somethings not quite right. The browser, in this case Firefox, tells me the server isn't available for every site I try. It comes back after a restart.

Seems like a bug.

Added:
    I just resurrected my bugzilla account and did a search. That came up with this for F29: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1108801 . The bug seems to have a history going back to 2014 and the 3.15 kernel.

"Wireless connections established with 3.15 kernels is extremely unstable, slow, unreliable.
    The connection is not "formally" lost, still, pinging any external server shows that more than 75% of the packets are lost. Using any web browser is extremely difficult."
    Thanks for the info. I use LXDE for my desktop. I disabled all IPV6, I manually edited all the WIFI connections in the network-scripts directory to set IPV6 to no. So far it has not dropped. I will keep everyone posted. I I am not 100% sure if it's even my laptop with a bad WIFI in it.