dd: error writing '/dev/sdc2': No space left on device - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: dd: error writing '/dev/sdc2': No space left on device

Not sure at the moment, I am waiting for asus to respond before booting up the machine. They have emailed me four times now telling me they are waiting on a response from HQ to rebuild the hard drive. I let them know its a resync not a rebuild im doing lol ,

I got the backup procedure down now, learning lots here, i'm really looking forward to getting my server back up and running. Will be in touch,

Linux Firefox 64.0

ASUS support are more likely to instruct you to do something data destructive. What they know about Linux systems you could write on the back of a cigarette box.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    What they know about Linux systems you could write on the back of a cigarette box.
    It's BIOS level RAID though so it's independent of the OS on top of it.

Personally, at this point, I'd boot the server and backup the data asap, double check the data is safe (maybe restore it somewhere else), rebuild the array and restore the data just to get the server back online without waiting for ASUS. Further, I'd probably not bother with the ASUS RAID next time and just rebuild using mdadm, at least next time you'll be able to resync after a failed disk replacement. Or order a proper hardware RAID controller, they're not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    ASUS support are more likely to instruct you to do something data destructive. What they know about Linux systems you could write on the back of a cigarette box.
    [QUOTE=Originally Posted by HaydnH
    What?!? That sounds plain wrong! I don't think I've ever seen a RAID array (excluding RAID 0 and JBOD of course), software or hardware, where you haven't been able to insert a replacement disk and resync the array with the new disk to restore redundancy. Maybe ASUS misunderstood you, but replacing a disk and restoring redundancy without having to restore all your data seems like a pretty fundamental thing for RAID. I'd get back to ASUS and confirm that replacing a disk and performing a resync (not rebuild) is possible. Even if that approach is possible, I'd want backups first so at least you're doing the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Aight gentlemen, the verdict is in;

Here is their response;

After collaborating with support staff, we recommend to back up all data and than follow the rebuild that the menu requested:
    Delete existing raid volume, and rebuild, going to Advanced -> Intel Rapid Storage -> Select Raid 5 -> Rebuild.

This is when I get frustrated, well used to get frustrated. Now it's a matter of professional conversation.
    Does Asus not know how to do a resync?
    Or does the technology not do what it is supposed to do?

Do you guys believe Asus advertising the RAID on board controller unethical? At the end of the day I specifically purchased this MOBO specifically to be able to do a resync.
    This seems to be a re-curring issue in business for me. I pay vendor bags of money X to get product/service/widget Y, and frequently discover after purchase I'm not getting what im paying for and left with the short end of the stick. Am I alone here feeling this way? I doubt it, I feel I am the one to speak up.

I will be working on the server in a few hours. Had a HUGE development come in today so if I do recover this data and get my network up and operational I will feel like I have won the lottery.

Again I want to say how much solace I have found from the Open Source community. Objective truth is the way to go yo!

I believe profit orientated operating systems golden age is over. It's just a matter of time....

I still don't know why every small business <= $500,000 annual *which is most businesses) are using Fedora, it's literally way better then Windows. Could be a timing thing?

I feel like the days of business owners not knowing how to use a computer is passed its golden age as well. Thoughts?

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

When I tried to log into ASUS, site to register my purchase, I kept getting rejected. So in a feedback form I gave them all the information about me and my problem about creating a registration for my motherboard.
    Including the MB information such as serial number and model number.

I have now had 10 emails back and forth with ASUS just trying to register my motherboard. They email me and ask me for my email address. I respond by asking them how did they get my email address to send me the request? I responded, it must have been in my original request, along with the product information such as model and serial number.
    The want a scanned copy of the purchase copy. Well I can't scan an email, but I could respond by forwarding the two that I got from Amazon (order is confirmed, and item has been shipped). Thereafter they email me asking for the copy of the email I sent to them with the forwarded amazon emails. Those emails detailed item, vendor (Amazon), price and taxes and tracing number and ohhh such frustration.

Still no confirmation. 3 weeks of email exchanges.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Okay guys, just finished a three hour session on this. Here is the dealio:
    Executive Summary:

The "old/failed" Hard drive is being recognized now in the BIOS. yay,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old hd being recognized.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	30026
    However, NONE of the hard drives are recognized as bootable devices.

Name:	bootabledevices.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	30027
    This really confuses me because CentOS is installed on the Raid0 which has no problem so logic would suggest I should be able to boot up the operating system no? However, the BIOS software isn't allowing me to. I also speculated this would be a problem before starting this troubleshooting session. It is good to know my thoughts are "on the mark" at least. Is there a way to manually override not being able to get to the centos login screen? I'm looking for creative ideas. I think not if the BIOS isn't allowing me to, unless I can manually override to boot up CentOS bios if that even exists. Now my CRM and my big customer list is at risk of being lost!? Really? WTF? *grr*

Interesting thing is the RAID5 now shows as "rebuilding" so that is good news. I wondered why the HD "failed in the first place originally anyways. When I drill down on this screen the only option is to delete raid.

Name:	IMG_20190131_233351395.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	30028

Action Plan going forward:
    I am thinking of taking my fedora OS HD out of my laptop and connecting it as a 6th hard drive, that way I might be able to boot up the fedora OS to get into the CMD and then see if I can see all the other five hard drives and back that data up to the external hard drive from there. Then, Take out the Fedora HD and put it back in my laptop and verify I can recover the backed up data from the external HD, then delete the RAID 5 on CentOS and rebuild the RAID5, and hopefully then the Raid0 will pick up CentOS and boot up as normal.

I wanted to ask the community for input here. Thoughts?

I have attached a few pics when this issue originally happened. During tonight's session I was unable to get to this screen below:

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-02-01 00-15-23.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	30029

Just for ***** and giggles my apprentice and I did a broadcast for our session today, no need to listen other then entertainment. Excellent example of a Computer Science learning environment between two people workign together in a virtual environment.

OrcaComputres; Data Recovery

OrcaComputers: DataRecovery2
    Last edited by themepenguin; 1st February 2019 at 09:23 AM.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 65.0

Did anything change re: bootable partitions once the resync finished? Your most important task is to backup that data, so if you need to boot from the fedora disk to take the backup do it.

Oh, and why are you running RAID 0 for the OS? I doubt you'll see that much of a performance boost but if any 1 drive in that array fails you're without a server and have to reinstall the OS. RAID 1 is the usual choice for arrays that the OS resides on.

I did not get to do a resync. I was unable to get to the login screen. Only got to the BIOS.
    I created the server with a RAID0 for optimized performance. I wanted maximum throughput. That was me six years ago. Your comment has been mentally noted. I agree with you as well.

Okay so the next plan, i see two options.

a) Take the Fedora hard drive attach it to the server and see if it will boot up, backup data done.
    Now, I predict Fedora won't successfully load up because it is currently configured on the laptop mobo not the Asus, i predict some conflicts there. I hope I am wrong.

b) I could try to boot up the server using the Fedora USB stick see if I can get a terminal to come up on the server and back up that way. USB Key Sounds the safest. Trying that now.

Update: taking the hard drive out didnt provide me anything,
    fedora ubs key booted up, terminal did not recognize partitions from the local drives just the usb key,
    I made a cent0s 6.10 bootable usb, centos booted up but not doing anything, I speculate that is because the local drives are not on cent0s 6.10, its a .4 or .5 version maybe. not sure though maybe a back image? Doubt it.
    Going to head to bed ill leave it on over night, if i wake up in the morning and its still here, then I will try making a centos 6.4 or 6.5 key to see if that loads.
    This scenario is turning worse now, if I lose the data on the raid0 i lose my crm software I doubt the vendor will do a new install for me since I no longer pay for updates.
    What aroused today is that no hard drives are are bootable. Someone told me today in a irc chat that you cant install centos on a raid0 he was a moderator, is that correct?

CentOS 6.10 USB Key did nothing.
    This is interesting how a bootable device wont load if the software on the local drive is not congruent to the os on the bootable drive.

Next step to make a bootable drive to find the same version that is installed on my local drives.
    Down the rabbit hole we go.
    Do the right thing what else can I say.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has read or responded to this post. Especially HaydenH, thanks so much brother. I will not forget your authenticity.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 65.0

Okay here we go: This is the bottleneck, is there any way to fix this?

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-02-04 14-16-22.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	30036

This is happening when I attempt to boot up using the bootable USB. This is the square root of the issue.
    Thoughts?

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
    Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-431.e16.x86_64 #1
    Call trace:
    [<ffffffff815271fa?] ? panic+0xa7/0x16f
    [<ffffffff81077622>] ? do_exit+0x862/0x870
    [<ffffffff8118a865>] ? fput+0x25/0x30
    [<ffffffff81077688>] ? do_group_exit+0x58/0xd0
    [<ffffffff81077717>] ? sys_exit_group+0x17/0x020
    [<ffffffff8100b072>] ? system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    drm_kms_helper: panic offurred, switching back to text console
    Last edited by themepenguin; 4th February 2019 at 11:28 PM.

got centos 7 usb stick to boot up, two options now
    a) boot from local drive
    b) rescue a centos system

going with
    a) there is a white cursor blinking rapidly...not doing anything

I am able to get here but my keyword doesnt work for the anaconda options ...strange...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ef1b25kwj...55480.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/02hv8vurs5...24734.jpg?dl=0

okay with the new hard drive in i am able to boot rescue mode in centos, now im at anaconda, and can type in commnds, not sure what to do next,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lersfekgy...40070.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g5kzkxzoz...53137.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbdj64ytv9...27053.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbdj64ytv9...27053.jpg?dl=0

This is where I could use help, is there a way to access my files from here?
    Last edited by themepenguin; 5th February 2019 at 02:56 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast