dd: error writing '/dev/sdc2': No space left on device
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

I am trying to copy my data from my main drive to my external hard drive. I got an error saying there wasn't enough room. *scratches head* ~The external hard drive is 8TB the main HD is only 1TB.

Code:
    orcacomputers@orca-computer ~]$ df -h
    Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                 5.8G     0  5.8G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    5.8G  137M  5.7G   3% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    5.8G  1.9M  5.8G   1% /run
    tmpfs                    5.8G     0  5.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/fedora-root   49G  9.9G   37G  22% /
    tmpfs                    5.8G  6.2M  5.8G   1% /tmp
    /dev/sda2                976M  159M  750M  18% /boot
    /dev/sda1                200M   18M  182M   9% /boot/efi
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home  860G  364G  453G  45% /home
    tmpfs                    1.2G  6.3M  1.2G   1% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sdc2                7.3T  339M  7.3T   1% /run/media/orcacomputers/Seagate Expansion Drive

[orcacomputers@orca-computer ~]$ sudo dd if=/dev/mapper/fedora-home of=/dev/sdc2 bs=64K conv=noerror,sync 
    [sudo] password for orcacomputers: 
    94076+0 records in
    94075+0 records out
    6165299200 bytes (6.2 GB, 5.7 GiB) copied, 11.9259 s, 517 MB/s
    I am not sure what this means;
    [orcacomputers@orca-computer ~]$ fdisk -l /dev/sdc2
    Disk /dev/sdc2: 5.8 GiB, 6165299200 bytes, 12041600 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I just pluged the HD in out of the box, it automounted, it is in nfts format. Is this an issue?
    Last edited by themepenguin; 23rd January 2019 at 12:30 PM.

Linux Firefox 60.0

Re: dd: error writing '/dev/sdc2': No space left on device

What if you UN-mount (umount) it?
    Change - the only constant.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

dd is used to clone disks at a low level, it doesn't care what the data is, partition table data? Copy it. Empty space? Copy it. dd is a very powerful command and with great power comes great... well... possibilities to mess things up. As your disks aren't the same geometry you'll have issues, by using dd to copy the 580GB disk to your 7.2TB disk, partition tables and all, you now have a 5.8GB partition and a large chunk of non partitioned space. Luckily, as its a new disk I'd repartition it, reformat and then copy the data over. To copy the data from one file system to another you'd usually use a higher level (filesystem) command like tar, rsync, cp etc.

In general, as a user you should rarely be using anything under /dev, for filesystems use the path they're mounted to.

I see, said the blind man. Thank you again HaydnH,

I guess I need to step back and clarify exactly what I am doing. Make sure I start off conceptually correct.

I have a server with two groups of hard drives.
    1) GroupA - two SSD's in Raid0
    2) GroupB - three SATA in Raid5

Scenario:
    One of the drives failed in GroupB.
    I am trying to rebuild GroupB without losing the data.
    I do not have backups.
    The raid was set up using a "fake raid" meaning the motherboard software.

So I am hoping GroupB will boot up with two of the three hard drives running.
    If it does, I have to back up the "data"/"partition" immediately to the external harddrive then rebuild GroupB
    using software raid this time instead of the mobo raid tool.

So what I am doing on my fedora machine is a "dry run"(this thread).
    I am pretending I am backing up a partition from fedora to my external hard drive then restore. I want to do this successfully so that I understand the process before I go onto my CentOS server where GroupB needs to be rebuild.

So it is the partition table data I should be copying? Sounds like it.

I am thinking sfdisk -d /dev/sd* > sda.partition.table.dd-mm-yyyy.txt? should

what about a parted rescue option?

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Quote Originally Posted by themepenguin
    The raid was set up using a "fake raid" meaning the motherboard software.
    First things first, get backups!! The good news is that a RAID 5 array with 2 of 3 disks working will still have the data available, assuming it is only 1 drive that has failed. The Fact that Motherboard "fake" raid is in play will complicate things though unfortunately, you'll need to track down the instructions that came with the motherboard on how to replace a disk and rebuild the array - something I would be very reluctant to try unless I knew the data was safe beforehand - and likely specific to the motherboard manufacturer you have so I can't really help with that part.

For the backup part:

NOTE: I'll use sdc as the disk here, triple check that's the right drive before doing anything below! "dmesg" should list it as a new usb drive when you insert it.

Code:
    # First, you'll probably want to recreate the partition table on the external disk due to the earlier dd command use - again, you can really mess up here if you use the wrong device so quadruple check!!
    fdisk /dev/sdc

# Check the partition number with fdisk, I'm assuming it's sdc1 as you've just created it
    fdisk -l /dev/sdc

# Once that's done and you have a nice big partition, format it. As we're only using Linux <-> Linux we don't need to bother with FAT/NTFS, ext3 will do.
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1

# Now we have a filesystem, we can mount it, first create somewhere in the OS filesystem to mount the new filesystem:
    mkdir /mnt/extdisk

# And mount the disk:
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/extdisk

# Confirm we have the filesystem is mounted using df:
    df -h /mnt/extdisk

# Now we can try a backup using tar, I'll backup /home as an example
    tar cvpzf /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz /home

# Now you should have a nice big /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz, you can view the contents with tar:
    tar tvfz /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz

# And extract it if needed:
    mkdir /mnt/extdisk/restorePath
    tar xvfz /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz -C /mnt/extdisk/restorePath

First things first, get backups!! - Yes! Will do as soon as get out of this mess. I speculate I have $150,000 worth of client records on GroupB. They could be on GroupA but I am not certain. Pretty scary stuff to be honest. Yet exciting. This is how you really learn on your own.

Yes you are correct only one hard drive failed.

I have the instructions for the mobo software and know how to rebuild the raid using the mobo software. I can handle that part. That part is tic-tac-toe. I have confirmed with ASUS that in order to rebuild the array using the mobo software I will have to delete the data on GroupB which I clearly do not want to do.

So yes, I need to verify the data is safe and backed up before I rebuild the raid with the mobo software. This is the learning part for me.

Now, one thing I am hesitant to do is start up my CentOS system because when it was running last time I think the system was really slowing down because the one hard drive was missing. I feel like the more time the CentOS server is on with only two hard drives working in GroupB the quicker it will "die"/fail. I have limited time before the server is unusable. Is this just fear speaking? or am I accurate? how far off the mark am i? Should I be able to operate the CentOS server with no problems? If so that will make things alot easier as I am trying to conceptualize everything before I turn that server on.

What is the reasoning for "dmesg"(thanks for this command I didn't know this)? Here is the info relating to the external hard drive.
    Code:
    [    1.968837] usb 2-3.1: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
    [    1.984711] usb 2-3.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=331a, bcdDevice= 9.15
    [    1.984713] usb 2-3.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [    1.984714] usb 2-3.1: Product: Expansion Desk
    [    1.984716] usb 2-3.1: Manufacturer: Seagate
    [    1.984717] usb 2-3.1: SerialNumber: NAAA4LCS
    Should I do the partition on the Fedora Machine before I boot up CentOS server? or is partitioning the external hard drive on Fedora fine?

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    What if you UN-mount (umount) it?
    I feel like that would be taking a step back. I am trying to move forward.

@HaydnH partition complete. will proceed tomorrow.
    @lightman47 thanks for the unmount comment! it came in useful when I had to make the new partition!
    W00t! I feel like I can win here guys, I feel like i'm starting to finally get some momentum, you know, momennamum.

Gracias amigos!

Windows 7 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

I have confirmed with ASUS that in order to rebuild the array using the mobo software I will have to delete the data on GroupB which I clearly do not want to do.
    What?!? That sounds plain wrong! I don't think I've ever seen a RAID array (excluding RAID 0 and JBOD of course), software or hardware, where you haven't been able to insert a replacement disk and resync the array with the new disk to restore redundancy. Maybe ASUS misunderstood you, but replacing a disk and restoring redundancy without having to restore all your data seems like a pretty fundamental thing for RAID. I'd get back to ASUS and confirm that replacing a disk and performing a resync (not rebuild) is possible. Even if that approach is possible, I'd want backups first so at least you're doing the right thing.

I feel like the more time the CentOS server is on with only two hard drives working in GroupB the quicker it will "die"/fail. I have limited time before the server is unusable. Is this just fear speaking? or am I accurate? how far off the mark am i??
    Yes and no. The "fake" raid is likely software RAID, so for each read of the data the software has to calculate the missing part of the data. Let's take a quick example of 2 stripes of 3 single bits, the first 2 are data and the third is parity (RAID 5 works a bit different to this, but for sake of simplicity). If the sum of the first 2 data bits are even then parity is 0, if the sum of the data is odd then parity is 1:

0 0 0
    0 1 1
    1 0 1
    1 1 0

So now imagine you lose you second disk/middle column above, for row 1 we have data of 0 and a parity of 0, so the missing data must be a 0 to make it even, row 2 has data of 0 and parity of 1, so the row must be odd and the missing data therefore must be a 1. It's these calculations that will be making your system slow. A decent hardware RAID controller mitigates this as it has dedicated hardware to perform the calculations, although it can still cause performance issues with IO bottlenecks etc.

However, you're right to assume that the disks are now more likely to fail than usual, not from current extra use as that's about the same and it's the calcs, not the reads, that are the performance issue. Consider that the disks are of the same age, same type and same mean time before failure (MTBF), one has already failed after a specific set of read/writes and as they're in a RAID array the should be getting about the same number of reads/writes as each other - the others are also likely getting towards their MTBF. Now consider you're about to ask those at risk disks to reconstruct a RAID array, something that can take quite some time, that extra work load is a risky time for a near MTBF disk when you don't have redundancy because of an already failed disk.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 38.0

"sudo dd if=/dev/mapper/fedora-home of=/dev/sdc2 bs=64K conv=noerror,sync"

sdc2 is not the disk device. It is a partition on the disk device.
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home is not a device either.

A raw copy is good for something like this:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=1M

or more simply:
    cat /dev/sda >/dev/sdc

A better method is to use rsync for a proper backup. Read the man page. There are good examples in it.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    A better method is to use rsync for a proper backup. Read the man page. There are good examples in it.
    While rsync is good for keeping 2 filesystems constantly in sync, I've experienced problems trying to use it to copy full filesystems all in one go, specifically when that filesystem is a huge amount of tiny files. Considering OP is looking to perform a one off backup before doing something that could potentially wipe his data I'd personally recommend tar over rsync in this case. dd would work, however for the inexperienced user I reckon they would feel more comfortable with a filesystem level tar command than trying to copy the full partition tables etc off and back on to a raid array?

@haydn, will the msftdata flag cause any issues when i back up on centos? I was thinking to changing the flag to raid because that seems like the logical thing to do since I am backing up RAID data on a Linux system. It seems to me the raid flag will mitigate risk of not being able to use the data once its backed up to the 8TB HD. am I thinking too much? I would rather be safe then sorry. I'm learning alot FAST too as well. Thanks for your insights. Attachment 30012

Also, the name, Microsoft in there, I dont like it. Is this an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    What?!? That sounds plain wrong! I don't think I've ever seen a RAID array (excluding RAID 0 and JBOD of course), software or hardware, where you haven't been able to insert a replacement disk and resync the array with the new disk to restore redundancy. Maybe ASUS misunderstood you, but replacing a disk and restoring redundancy without having to restore all your data seems like a pretty fundamental thing for RAID. I'd get back to ASUS and confirm that replacing a disk and performing a resync (not rebuild) is possible. Even if that approach is possible, I'd want backups first so at least you're doing the right thing.
    Exactly! I was telling them the same thing. This is when I vented in the CentOS forum
    Thanks for setting the record straight here bro. Your comment helps me reaffirm I am doing the right things and I am on the right track and I am not the problem. Your one keyword resync (not rebuild), its key,
    Waiting on Asus' response now...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    "sudo dd if=/dev/mapper/fedora-home of=/dev/sdc2 bs=64K conv=noerror,sync"

sdc2 is not the disk device. It is a partition on the disk device.
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home is not a device either.

A raw copy is good for something like this:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=1M

or more simply:
    cat /dev/sda >/dev/sdc

thanks for the info 0$$!

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

In addition to what others have said using dd would be inefficient as your home partition is less than half full. dd without compression of the stream would copy all of the empty space.

/dev/mapper/fedora-home 860G 364G 453G 45% /home

A file backup scheme such as rsync or tar would only copy the 45% used and not the 55% empty.

# First, you'll probably want to recreate the partition table on the external disk due to the earlier dd command use - again, you can really mess up here if you use the wrong device so quadruple check!!
    fdisk /dev/sdc
    There is a much safer way of referring to devices. You should use the links in /dev/disk/by-id and never refer to devices by the drive letter so you never type the wrong letter. As you know the protocol which is usb and the manufacturer 'Seagate' and the product 'Expansion Desk' you will know exactly which entry it is.

For example on my machine:
    Code:
    $ pwd
    /dev/disk/by-id
    [by-id] 
    $ ls  -l
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 10:48 ata-Corsair_Force_3_SSD_11476503000010680643 -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 10:48 ata-Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_250GB_S2R5NX0H524929J -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 22:17 usb-Kingston_DT_Elite_3.0_00018F30C9F8AAC6020000180-0:0 -> ../../sdf
    The ids are prefixed by protocol so the Seagate USB would start the usb-Seagate and probably have the product name or code in the string. You would never confuse this with one of your internal SATA drives as they will all start with ata-. If you only have one USB drive plugged in you can just type /dev/disk/by-id/usb- and press the Tab key for auto-completion.

$ fdisk /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate ...

To the OP please post the output of
    $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

For mounting the drive it is better to mount by label. Create an ext3 file system label using e2label for the partition after you have formatted it.

$ mount --label seagate-label /mnt/extdisk

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    A file backup scheme such as rsync or tar would only copy the 45% used and not the 55% empty.
    noted. thanks.

To the OP please post the output of $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 15:56 ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB_S3Z8NB0K967956L -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB_S3Z8NB0K967956L-part1 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB_S3Z8NB0K967956L-part2 -> ../../sda2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB_S3Z8NB0K967956L-part3 -> ../../sda3
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 15:56 ata-ST1000LM014-1EJ164_W381WF7F -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 ata-ST1000LM014-1EJ164_W381WF7F-part1 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 ata-ST1000LM014-1EJ164_W381WF7F-part2 -> ../../sdb2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-name-fedora-home -> ../../dm-2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-name-fedora-root -> ../../dm-0
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-name-fedora-swap -> ../../dm-1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-uuid-LVM-tOro5xoE8DUnRqwaOZgJKwuvbUizJqpF2o4S5VLtIo22vYdvBFuAz0A4wQ6nfvft -> ../../dm-0
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-uuid-LVM-tOro5xoE8DUnRqwaOZgJKwuvbUizJqpFA1irAWK6pAFMmed3LJTeiv8c5M2L8fbG -> ../../dm-1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 dm-uuid-LVM-tOro5xoE8DUnRqwaOZgJKwuvbUizJqpFGgRjL33zidxNv5Y4IKUMJaviRyQIUmDE -> ../../dm-2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 lvm-pv-uuid-MEfcsh-9HO5-f23S-erNz-YUyZ-kWGd-z2qTld -> ../../sda3
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 15:56 usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAAA4LCS-0:0 -> ../../sdc
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAAA4LCS-0:0-part1 -> ../../sdc1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAAA4LCS-0:0-part2 -> ../../sdc2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5000c50073f687fd -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5000c50073f687fd-part1 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5000c50073f687fd-part2 -> ../../sdb2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  9 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5002538e4080cbee -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5002538e4080cbee-part1 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5002538e4080cbee-part2 -> ../../sda2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Jan 24 15:56 wwn-0x5002538e4080cbee-part3 -> ../../sda3
    You should use the links in /dev/disk/by-id and never refer to devices by the drive letter so you never type the wrong letter.
    Thanks, understood, makes sense. got it. Can you post an example syntax using my links?

e2label /dev/usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAAA4LCS-0:0-part1 -> externalbackup
    e2label /dev/usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAAA4LCS-0:0-part2 -> externalbackup
    ?

however for the inexperienced user I reckon they would feel more comfortable with a filesystem level tar command than trying to copy the full partition tables etc off and back on to a raid array?
    correctamundo (correct)

Where are you up to now? You've created the partitions, are they formatted and have you got them mounted somewhere? (See the Code block I posted above).

Okay the 8tb external hard drive has been formatted and properly labelled as "Data Cabinet". (See attached pic). I did this on my Fedora machine. I have not yet booted up the CentOS server yet.

I found this command VERY useful to post all information for your hard drives: sudo lsblk -o name,mountpoint,label,size,uuid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-01-26 11-53-46.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	30014

Asus responded to me and wanted me to fill out a new form. I see where the misunderstanding arouse from. I said to them I am trying to do a rebuild I even put the word rebuild in red.

I should have used the word resync. This is teaching me the real value of keywords and how they are important in communicating, computer science, SEO specifically.

So now, to directly answer your question I believe the next step is to boot up the CentOS server and see if I can get to the CMD to mount the DataCabinet drive then execute the .tar comands

# Now we have a filesystem, we can mount it, first create somewhere in the OS filesystem to mount the new filesystem:
    mkdir /mnt/extdisk

# And mount the disk:
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/extdisk

# Confirm we have the filesystem is mounted using df:
    df -h /mnt/extdisk

# Now we can try a backup using tar, I'll backup /home as an example
    tar cvpzf /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz /home

# Now you should have a nice big /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz, you can view the contents with tar:
    tar tvfz /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz

# And extract it if needed:
    mkdir /mnt/extdisk/restorePath
    tar xvfz /mnt/extdisk/homebackup.tar.gz -C /mnt/extdisk/restorePath
    [/code]
    One concern I have though is, as I recall booting up the CentOS server last time its going automatically into the BIOS. I don't recall I was able to get to the CMD and login as root. I feel like the server is in a l00p at the BIOS. I could be off the mark here. Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by themepenguin; 26th January 2019 at 09:15 PM.

One concern I have though is, as I recall booting up the CentOS server last time its going automatically into the BIOS. I don't recall I was able to get to the CMD and login as root. I feel like the server is in a l00p at the BIOS. I could be off the mark here. Do you have any suggestions?
    What's on the screen while that happens? Any form of error messages? Sounds like it could be another question for ASUS though...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast