My Experiences/Story Using Fedora
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Red face My Experiences/Story Using Fedora

Greetings!

So I have to say I'm pretty dang happy with Fedora. The first Linux distro I ever used was Ubuntu 14.04 LTS a while back. It took me a while to get adjusted to Linux especially being a Windows only user but I got the hang of it eventually. I've tried many, many distros, Debian, Manjaro, Solus, etc. At one point I gave Fedora a shot and I absolutely fell in love with it. Having experience with Ubuntu and the command line it wasn't that big of a difference. Sometimes I would accidentally use apt instead of dnf forgetting that I'm on Fedora but now I'm on top of it haha. I've switched back and forth between Fedora and Windows due to 80% of my games being Windows only but now with Steam Proton all the games that I play work out of the box so I officially gave up on evil Windows. And the awesome thing about Fedora 29 is my laptops trackpad worked after installing updates along with the Intel graphics drivers. None of the other distros fixed the issues I was having. I chose to stick with the Workstation Edition. Being used to traditional desktops I had to learn how to use GNOME. Learning all the keyboard shortcuts etc. I actually understand the reasoning for why the GNOME developers did what they did and it is now my favorite desktop environment. Another thing, most of the software that I use is already in the official Fedora repositories. With Ubuntu and some other distros I had to add a ppa. RPM Fusion is really easy to setup and use. I like it. This might sound boring but I love SELinux, I find it very interesting and fun to learn about being a security freak that I am. Lastly the Fedora community is a great one, there are so many kind and helpful fellow Fedora users that are willing to help out. So yeah overall my experiences with Fedora have been great and it is the distro that I plan to stay with forever. Let me know what you guys think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fedoralove.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	30004

Linux Chrome 65.0.3325.230

Re: My Experiences/Story Using Fedora

I have converted my win10 box to dual boot to Fedora 29 KDE, and I am getting used to it as well ... First time around with Fedora. I keep trying to do windows-D to get to the desktop, but then remember I am in Fedora. Do you know a shortcut to the Desktop ?

I have been running Lollypop, Audacity, Falkon, Konqueror and Dolphin ... also EasyTag amd Music Brainz...w/in a simulated mp3 music library to compare performance..So far, so good..plenty fast, and no blue screens
    I think it is simply time and practice, and the KDE Plasma desktop is a nice change from the taskmaster called the command line ..
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

* I answered my own question about KDE shortcuts

The learning process never ends..

Linux Firefox 65.0

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark
    * I answered my own question about KDE shortcuts

The learning process never ends..
    Open System Settings and scroll down to Workspace Shortcuts. Click on that and then Click on Global Shortcuts followed by Plasma. Find the entry for Show Desktop and set the Global Alternative to Meta+D. To do that, Click the None button next to Custom and then Press the Windows Key (Meta) and D together. Afterwards, click the apply button and you have your Windows desktop shortcut back again.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 64.0.3282.140

Thanks ! This is great .. I will try this later today …

Does this mean you could launch Konqueror or Dolphin with Windows -E by a custom alternative ??

I am seriously considering bailing altogether my Windows 10, and making this a total Fedora box …

Old habits ...

Linux (Android 9) Chrome 71.0.3578.99

Does this mean you could launch Konqueror or Dolphin with Windows -E by a custom alternative ??

I am seriously considering bailing altogether my Windows 10, and making this a total Fedora box …

Old habits ...
    I did cut the cord around 10 years ago. I can't say missed Windows. I stopped when W7 was in vogue.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux Firefox 65.0

Old habits ...
    You can set pretty much any custom alternative you want as long as it's nothing that conflicts with an existing action of course. You can also define your own shortcuts to specific programs or common actions. KDE is very flexible.

What is stopping me from ditching windows, Ubisoft and some legacy titles which don't play nicely with WINE. Also, I can't be bothered faffing about with NVIDIA kernel modules. The games I got for free with my hardware purchases that I have on uPlay require Windows for DRM. I like them too much to do without them unfortunately. The games in my Steam collection would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I did cut the cord around 10 years ago. I can't say missed Windows. I stopped when W7 was in vogue.
    I need to decide exactly what keeps me in Windows -- I use a music tagging program MP3Tag, and was hoping for an equivilant program in Linux ... Not too impressed with EasyTag, and will be trying Puddletag today ...also use MediaMonkey to manage a large music collection ... so far, cannot find equal in Linux world...also - I use a windows-based password manager...

Also - thx for the direction on KDE setup with shortcuts..

For now, looks loke I will live in 2 worlds while I find solutions - the truth is out there !

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 72.0.3626.96

I need to decide exactly what keeps me in Windows -- I use a music tagging program MP3Tag, and was hoping for an equivilant program in Linux ... Not too impressed with EasyTag, and will be trying Puddletag today ...also use MediaMonkey to manage a large music collection ... so far, cannot find equal in Linux world...also - I use a windows-based password manager...

Also - thx for the direction on KDE setup with shortcuts..

For now, looks loke I will live in 2 worlds while I find solutions - the truth is out there !
    MP3Tag may run okay with WINE. According to their website this works with Mac so it may do with Linux too. You'd have to investigate how to configure it yourself though as the developer only packages a zipped build of a pre-configured WINE installation of MP3Tag for Mac.

Alternative, run Windows inside a virtual machine for MP3Tag.

I must say, Puddletag is a big improvement over EasyTag - and it looks like the motivation for the developer was a platform as close to MP3Tag as he could get ...

Looking for replacement programs has forced me to consider what is important in program features ... for all its simplicity, I have found Lollypop a respectable album-based music player/organizer..I also like its artwork lookup feature, which works very well ... I feel like I am almost there !

Linux Firefox 65.0

I must say, Puddletag is a big improvement over EasyTag - and it looks like the motivation for the developer was a platform as close to MP3Tag as he could get ...
    I use EasyTag for simple tagging of vorbis comments in flac files. For more complex tagging, I use command line metaflac and shell script that pretty much automates a lot of manual chores (like attaching the same album image and field values to all songs in an album, enumerating titles by prefixing sequence numbers, cleaning up preset values so they render properly in DLNA playlist, etc.)

I think one way to approach Linux is not to look for exact replacement of Windows, but open to new ways to accomplish similar tasks.

My last holdout before moving 100% to Linux were old Windows games. I waited and waited for wine to run 100% of those games, but I finally realized that was not a worthwhile wait. I could find open source alternatives to those games, or games that I almost never play could be discarded without any loss. Once I cleaned out those games, I found that I could play 100% of the remaining games in Linux (either using wine or open source engines), and any games I purchase from then on I buy native Linux version (at least I don't miss any Windows-only games that don't run in wine.)

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 64.0.3282.140

Interesting about the games -- it was one part of the PC world I never really got into (but sure was tempted) .. I am already planning a rebuild of my box, using 2 storage devices (SSD and HDD ) -- not sure if there is any need to put the /home partition on the spinning hd … I see differing opinions .. music, documents etc > 500GB .. I am also thinking why not splurge and get a 1TB SSD ? I don't like single point of failure, but would give fastest performance..

Puddletag doesn't seem to have a plm edition across the network, with music stored on music server...will plan to do a clean install (no dual boot)...I am not sure that Lollypop will allow the library of music to be on the network … seems to like all the albums stored in the user's music folder ...

FWIW - I just installed the SSD, did the install off the USB stick, and am doing the updates on a brand new F29 install ... bye bye Windows 10 ... (might keep you locked up in a proxmox jail somewhere ..) -- so many updates, but nothing as bad as windows 7 and friends ...