[SOLVED] Fedora borked, no GUI after login (Nvidia GTX 1050)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 64.0

Fedora 28 borked, no GUI after login (Nvidia GTX 1050)

I've got Fedora 28 installed as the only OS on an HP laptop:
    - i7 770HQ
    - 16GB RAM
    - 128GB SSD
    - 1TB HDD
    - Nvidia GTX 1050

I installed Bumblebee according to the fedora tutorial (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...bee/index.html) and everything was doing fine...until now. I was behind on updates a bit, about 98 updates listed in DNF. I rebooted, and after entering my password at the login GUI, I saw only a black screen and my mouse pointer, which was responsive. I opened a tty (CTRL + ALT + F2) and logged in as my user and tried to execute
    Code:
    startx
    but it told me something along the lines of "only console users can do this." I don't know what that means, so I logged out and back in as root and was able to do
    Code:
    startx
    successfully. I saw there were nvidia, kernel, and cinnamon (my DE) updates, so I installed them with reboots between each, then everything else. This did not solve the problem (I tested after each reboot and after installing everything else), and I only get a black screen after logging in through the login GUI.

I'm 100% noob and unable to solve this or debug it myself. What additional information is needed to debug this issue? Is there a fix for it?

Thankfully, when I was installing Fedora 28, I put /home on a separate partition, so if the only fix is a reinstall, I should be able to keep everything.

UPDATE:
    I created a new user and was able to get a cinnamon-session to load upon login. I copied the new user's .cinnamon directory over to my /home directory. This did not fix the issue. I installed GNOME hoping a fresh DE might fix things. It did not. It now seems this issue is, once again, not DE-based.
    Last edited by windowssucks; 19th January 2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: info

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: Fedora borked, no GUI after login (Nvidia GTX 1050)

I find myself always running Xfce with LXDM (not Gnome and GDM) , and everything runs just PEACHY.

Code:
    go to http://rpmfusion.org  , enable rpmfusion repository (both free and nonfree)
    dnf install kmod-nvidia nvidia-settings xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
    - here you may have to disable nouveau driver, edit /etc/default/grub [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb quiet"], then execute grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg (or -o /boot/efi/.... check where grub.cfg is)
    dnf install xfce-desktop lxdm
    systemctl disable gdm
    systemctl enable lxdm
    systemctl set-default graphical.target
    reboot
    select Xfce Session when logging in.
    done deal.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

I read somewhere that the nVidia driver does not support Wayland, which is enabled by default. Try switching it off. The fix worked for me.

Linux Firefox 64.0

I've had the same problem with the same chip set. I had to leave Fedora for Manjaro. Manjaro let you install non-free drivers with installation so it runs fine. I do not want to run XFCE, i would run Fedora for Gnome but cannot do so. I do miss Fedora and would prefer it over Manjaro, but will not run after login.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

I ended up backing up my home directory, deleting my user, readding it, and putting files back in incrementally. Turns out my .bashrc or .bash_profile caused the problem. The moment I added those files into my home directory and tried to log in graphically, I got stuck on the black screen. I can't imagine what it was that was wrong with them, but I nuked em, and I'm living the desktop GUI life now.

My only problem is that over the course of this debacle, it seems like loading times, specifically for the Fedora emblem that fills up and loading my user's desktop, have increased. At some point I'm gonna have to nuke everything and install F29 over it all and hope that it works.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Turns out my .bashrc or .bash_profile caused the problem. The moment I added those files into my home directory and tried to log in graphically, I got stuck on the black screen. I can't imagine what it was that was wrong with them, but I nuked em, and I'm living the desktop GUI life now.
    You should post those files here so we can determine what the cause was. If you don't understand what happened it could happen again. Also the answer could be useful to others such as jldavidson.

I find myself always running Xfce with LXDM (not Gnome and GDM) , and everything runs just PEACHY.
    Well I run KDE Plasma 5 with sddm which also is not Gnome and GDM and everything runs just PEACHY as well. Also do you have the exact same HP laptop as the OP ? No need for the whole world to use what you do. If this is a graphics driver issue the choice of DE doesn't matter.

I installed GNOME hoping a fresh DE might fix things. It did not. It now seems this issue is, once again, not DE-based.

I do not want to run XFCE, i would run Fedora for Gnome but cannot do so.
    You dpn't have to run XFCE as it probably wouldn't fix your graphics driver issue.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 65.0

amiga, I already rm-ed those files. All the .bashrc did was source a logging configuration I had set up for logging terminal session. The .bash_profile just added stuff like Java to the PATH.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

amiga, I already rm-ed those files.
    There was no need to do this. All you had to do was move them somewhere else or rename them or both so they wouldn't be sourced.

All the .bashrc did was source a logging configuration I had set up for logging terminal session. The .bash_profile just added stuff like Java to the PATH.
    Well then how did this cause your graphic driver problems and the black screen if that is all they did ?

Turns out my .bashrc or .bash_profile caused the problem. The moment I added those files into my home directory and tried to log in graphically, I got stuck on the black screen. I can't imagine what it was that was wrong with them,
    Now you will never know. Which means it could happen again as those were two files you wrote and you may repeat those unknown mistakes in the future.

Also why did you add them both at the same time ? If you only added one at a time you would know which file it was. When you got the black screen you should have removed (not deleted but moved) only one of them.
    Last edited by amiga; 4th February 2019 at 04:29 AM.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 65.0

I didn't consider keeping them. I just wanted my desktop back.

Of course, I've now lost it again, sort of, thanks to Nvidia. If this specific issue happens again, I'll isolate the specific file.