Which distribution is better?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

Which distribution is better?

Which distribution is better for beginner?

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: Which distribution is better?

I found fedora the most simple distribution when I started using linux (less than a year ago).
    Other distros I tried were ubuntu and openSUSE, but ubuntu had too much programs added on fresh install. Also snapd things were confusing when you have no idea what snapd is.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

It all depends on what your uses/needs are. For surfing, chat, misc. office, (general computer use), I install Linux Mint for my friends.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Code:
    #######  #######  ######   #######  ######      #
    #        #        #     #  #     #  #     #    # #
    #        #        #     #  #     #  #     #   #   #
    #####    #####    #     #  #     #  ######   #     #
    #        #        #     #  #     #  #   #    #######
    #        #        #     #  #     #  #    #   #     #
    #        #######  ######   #######  #     #  #     #
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

The very first linux that you install is the one you most likely study and learn intimately. Thereafter, it will be your favorite.
    I started with Fedora when there was only Debian and Fedora. Ubuntu did not exist. So, from this posting, you can
    tell, I prefer Fedora.
    Fedora is a great distribution, easier to learn than many others. It has everything you need for the desktop or home server.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Windows 7 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    The very first linux that you install is the one you most likely study and learn intimately.
    I started with Slackware slightly before Solaris (ok, not Linux) and then Suse for a short time, but as I started using Linux more in the work place I switched to Red Hat as it was more commonly used in business, when Redhat became RHEL and was chargeable I switched to Fedora Core (3?) to stick with rpms and a similar base for work related usage.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I started with Fedora when there was only Debian and Fedora.
    Fedora was 2003, I'm sure there were quite a few distros available before that, Slackware, Redhat (non RHEL), Jurix, Suse, Mandrake etc spring to mind along with Debian.

Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

I started with Slackware, then Redhat, Fedora Core, and then Fedora. Since then I found Mint Cinnamon as the easiest to get going and just works. Most all the things a general user would use are already there. Just start using. Who cares about 'extra' packages that get installed. Disk space is not a premium anymore and is cheap. Also it is LTS, so no hurry to 'upgrade' all the time as in other distros. The interface is very intuitive. Windows 7 users would feel right at home (don't like Win 8 or 10 interface). So, any time someone asks, I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon. On two of my laptops and one of my desktops, there was no 'problem' found hardware wise. WiFi, etc. worked out the box.

So, any time someone asks, I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon.
    Last edited by rclark; 16th January 2019 at 09:19 PM.

Windows 7 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Recently I tried a few different OSes:

FreeBSD - poor hardware support, hard to configure, some ports are long wait to add (e.g. darktable 2.6)
    Debian testing - had problems with networking which resulted in long boot time
    Antergos - alpha quality software as always with Arch based distros (e.g. Kodi stopped working after one regular update)
    Ubuntu - general quality went downhill for the last few years. E.g. switched off keyboard and mouse after a few minutes of work after booting up.

On the other hand, Fedora always works flawlessly for me (except major version upgrade when Kodi sometimes gets broken). Of course, I don't use brain-damaged Gnome 3, I settled on XFCE spin which is simple, efficient, robust and looks good after some tweaking.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

Quote Originally Posted by tankist02
    On the other hand, Fedora always works flawlessly for me (except major version upgrade when Kodi sometimes gets broken).
    I think the last big issue I had with a major version update was somewhere around ?F13? where the requirements for the /boot partition grew significantly and I had to reformat/reinstall, servers me right for being old school and creating separate partitions that were the right size I suppose.

Other than that, Citrix Receiver is my main cause of upgrade problems. Ironically, it's the only software on my box that actually gets directly paid for (it's free itself but the Citrix stuff at work gets paid for) and is without doubt the worst bit of software I use.

Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

There was a time there during the Fedora Core era that I cringed every time I did a kernel update as 'it seemed' it was going to break something more often than not! Now it is much better. I don't even think about it now.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 65.0

Yep. Fedora is good. I even switched my Raspberry Pi over to fedora because I found the Raspian packages are ancient. The Pi choked on the gnome desktop but it runs fedora LXDE spin fine. Doesn't matter though as it is normally just booting to the command line.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

I run most all of my RPIs headless. I prefer the default Raspbian (Debian) for them. I work more on the 'hardware' side with the RPIs, so having the ease of setting up I2C, SPI, etc. available is worth more than being on the cutting edge with desktop apps. I don't use RPI as a 'desktop'. I develop apps on my Workstation and then send to the RPIs for testing.