I saw many favorable reviews for the latest release of the Vivaldi browser recently, so I thought I'd try it again. My experience with the add-ons and extensions - which must (apparently) come from google via chromium extensions was more than frustrating.

First and foremost, in a perfect world, Google would be shut down and its executives interrogated formally for their intrusion into our privacy (and I must warn all millennials reading this that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone). Google insists on hiding all its extensions through the Chrome store, which does not offer free software, the way we have been defining free in the Linux world. Worse, it also insists in hiding all chromium extensions (and therefore, Vivaldi extensions too) through a maze of pages that insist you download Chrome. I refuse. I refuse no matter how good Vivaldi gets. Sorry. It may be my loss, but it's preferable to losing my privacy.

If you've gotten one spam mail through gmail, one call or message on your android phone from a solicitor or one request to take a survey over your land-line despite being on the "do not call" list, you really should consider minimizing all use of Google related services and devices. It's making life in the 21st century more miserable than it needs to be. Its going to get worse - read Orwell's 1984 and question why Google (and Facebook and Amazon, etc.) has used it as a guide instead of a warning.