[SOLVED] Is it possible to manually feed metadata to dnf (Fedora 29)?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Firefox 60.0

Is it possible to manually feed metadata to dnf (Fedora 29)?

Hello everybody.

I am currently facing a problem with a server I have in my workplace which is in a rural area with bad Internet connection (both satellite or cellphone-data).

The server has Fedora 29 installed, and even though last year the Internet connection somehow allowed for a full "dnf update", I can no longer do it because the metadata download never completes: after some 20MB have been downloaded in the "Fedora 29" part, it goes back to 10MB or something, thus never allowing for the download to finish and the update to be completed afterwards.

I took home a laptop which also has Fedora 29, only allowed dnf to grab the metadata, and back in my workplace was able to finish the update, so I figure that if I could somehow manually feed the metadata to the server then it would be able to finish the update. Can it be done? Where can I look for the metadata?

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Notebook: Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829
    AMD Turion X2 RM-70 @ 2.0GHz, 4GB DDR2,
    128GB ADATA SSD, PIONEER DVD-RW.
    Fedora 28 x86-64.

Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

Re: Is it possible to manually feed metadata to dnf (Fedora 29)?

Sounds like an interesting situation and an interesting possibility. If you have problems downloading the few MB of metadata (relatively speaking, potentially), do you expect that having the metadata will allow for the next step of merely attempting many times to download the files?

I suspect that unfortunately this whole project will not be officially supportable, so good luck and here's what I've got for you.

Try /var/lib/dnf and /var/cache/dnf (or yum). Mine on a random dev box (Centos7) was 376M.

Now before you run out and try that, have you taken any steps to clean up the dnf metadata? Perhaps it was partially corrupted locally and it's choking dnf. I've seen it before with yum. Since it's already not working for you, try a dnf clean metadata or dnf clean all, and try again.

Mac OS X 10.14 Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by bgstack15
    Sounds like an interesting situation and an interesting possibility. If you have problems downloading the few MB of metadata (relatively speaking, potentially), do you expect that having the metadata will allow for the next step of merely attempting many times to download the files?

I suspect that unfortunately this whole project will not be officially supportable, so good luck and here's what I've got for you.

Try /var/lib/dnf and /var/cache/dnf (or yum). Mine on a random dev box (Centos7) was 376M.

Now before you run out and try that, have you taken any steps to clean up the dnf metadata? Perhaps it was partially corrupted locally and it's choking dnf. I've seen it before with yum. Since it's already not working for you, try a dnf clean metadata or dnf clean all, and try again.
    Hello bgstack15, thank you very much for your answer, I'll look into it to fix my problem.

For starters I tried the dnf commands you suggested (got nothing to loose), and will try again to do a "normal" upgrade. I am not sure if manually feeding metadata to dnf will work, but it is very frustrating to see the download go back and forth, and I noticed there is some sort of "packet fragmentation" (not sure if that even exists) in the Internet connection here that seems to interrupt big "monolythic" downloads. Actual packages can be downloaded from different mirrors (even resumed) for all I know, so hopefully they won't mind the crappy connection.

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Fedora 28 x86-64.

Mac OS X 10.14 Firefox 63.0

It worked!

By replacing the /var/cache/dnf directory in the server (from a laptop also running F29), the system started downloading packages.

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Fedora 28 x86-64.