DynamicDNS Linux server
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.100

DynamicDNS Linux server

Hello,
    Does anyone have experience of accessing ( for exp via ssh ) fedora server ( or a linux server ) when your router public ip is dynamic. I have consider to use dynamic dns with noip, but doesn't work in my conditions because of my publicIP. Its possible to work with teamviewer but I am not fan of that ...

Any idea ?!

Best regards

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: DynamicDNS Linux server

I have a web server that I use no-ip on. The way it is set up, their Dynamic DNS Update Client continually checks for IP address changes in the background and automatically updates the DNS at No-IP whenever it changes. So the client runs continually in the background, and when your router's public IP changes, the client phones home and updates the DNS at No-IP. You can change the interval for checking your router's public IP address, I have mine set for 10 seconds if I remember correctly.

I have never exposed any of my servers to the internet via ssh. So I don't have first hand experience on how it works with ssh, but it works great for accessing port 80 and port 443.

If you have any questions, go to the web site and chat with a representative. I have found them to be quite helpful. Disclaimer: I do not have any relationship with no-ip other than being a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Pudge; 9th January 2019 at 09:20 PM.
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Linux Firefox 60.0

Doesn't dynamic DNS allow you publish your ever-changing IP address so it appears static? I use dyndns, myself. Reading the no-ip page, it appears to do the same thing.

With dyndns, we got a name and needed to install, configure, and enable ddclient (username, password, etc.) to periodically log-in. From that login, dyndns updates their tables so that ANY reference to my "domain" gets directed here.

It works with ALL protocols (i.e. your 'domain name'). 'Exposing services to the Internet' is controlled by you and your configuration of those services and has little or nothing to do with a URL resolving to your I.P. (what these services do).

;-)
    Change - the only constant.

lightman47

Yup, no-ip and dyndns do the exact same function as you described and I tried to describe. There are also other services that provide the same function.

If the OP is going to expose his computer to the internet via ssh, there are a lot of security issues I hope he is taking into consideration.

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Hello,
    Thank you very much for your advises, If I have to use ssh for access, for sure I will use a lot of security features, the most important to me is to know if using of dyndns is risk of security or not because a small amount of traffic pas through they servers I think...

I do not think any of your traffic actually passes through the DNS server. The only purpose of a DNS (Domain Name Server) is to convert a URL (human friendly) such as google.com to an assigned IP address (computer friendly). In fact you can bypass the use of a DNS server by typing in the IP address of the desired web site. I just pinged google.com and got the following results:
    HTML Code:
    ping google.com
    PING google.com (172.217.12.46) 56(84) bytes of data.
    So, if you type the IP 172.217.12.46 into your browser, you will go straight to google.com and bypass the DNS look up step. My Internet Service Provider says it has dynamic IP addresses. But my cable modem's public IP address hardly ever changes. It only seems to change when they install a different cable modem. So if your public IP address is very stable as mine is, you can just access your server via ssh by using the IP address and port number in your ssh command instead of a URL. In my case, registering a Domain name with a DNS service to link it to an IP address (static IP or dynamic IP) isn't absolutely necessary. If your public IP changes frequently, then the use of a Dynamic DNS service becomes more necessary. In either case, the ability to use a URL is definitely convenient.

Here is a good tutorial on how the internet converts human friendly URLs to computer friendly IP addresses. Use the scroll wheel to go through the page.
    https://www.verisign.com/en_US/websi...ks/index.xhtml

If I read that correctly, the DNS only provides an IP address for the given URL and no traffic actually goes through the DNS. I assume the same applies with Dynamic DNS services. If you are still concerned, contact the service department of the Dynamic DNS service of your choice and they will explain how it works.