[Packaging help required] for NTPSEC project
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mac OS X 10.13.6 Safari 12.0.1

Post [Packaging help required] for NTPSEC project

I'm looking to improve the security and efficiency of NTP for the Fedora (and CentOS) servers running by switching to NTPSEC but I'm unable to locate a rpm package for NTPSEC and since this will be deployed across the network (and updated as needed) , I'm looking to a solution other than building from source or creating our own package and having to manually update it every time the project has an update. I did notice OpenSuse has a rpm package but I am not sure how compatible that is. I found this: https://github.com/ntpsec/ntpsec/blob/master/INSTALL for building a package (for any distro). Here's the OpenSuse package I found: https://software.opensuse.org/package/ntpsec. I will mention Debian has a ppa established you can use via apt for Testing and SID so I'd hope that Fedora (and hopefully CentOS as well) have a ppa that we can just pull into our repo server. If there isn't a ppa in existence today, I would request one be officially delivered from the Fedora and CentOS repos that maintains up-to-date code for the project. And before anyone asks, the maintainers of the project have committed to not providing packages for any platform (hence the HowTo linked above).

Link to project: https://www.ntpsec.org/

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: Is there a ppa for NTPSEC available via dnf/yum?

Fedora/CentOS/RHEL don't have a PPA equivalent, you'll need to build and install NTPSec from source code as instructed on their git page INSTALL file that you found.

I'm fairly certain that it's something you can maintain for yourself though to be fair. It's not a complicated process by any means and subsequent rebuilds of such small packages from git projects don't demand a massive amount of time or resources.

I doubt the opensuse build would install or work properly even if it did.

Mac OS X 10.13.6 Safari 12.0.1

You would think with security being a big focus, NTPSec would be pushed over NTP in RHEL/Cent/Fedora. Haven't we seen enough attacks using NTP vulnerabilities to get the idea to move away from it? Even if in the short term, we would need to create our own package and maintain it, it wouldn't be publicly available so nobody else would benefit from it. Therefore I still stand by my request that NTPSec be available in the official repos for RHEL/Cent/Fedora.

Linux (Android 6.0) Android Browser 4.0

Fine but you need to voice your request in the right place then. This is an independent user community forum which has no direct influence over which packages are considered or approved for building and maintenance. Try ask.fedoraproject.org which is at least the official support channel first. They may however direct you to the Fedora Mailing lists.

Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

If you do decide to build ntpsec in an rpm, I heartily recommend building a COPR for it, which is a decently close equivalent to a ppa. And I looked for you on that site already, and didn't see anybody's bundled ntpsec. So you could fill the gap for the Fedora/rpm community!

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

ntpsec is really a fork of ntp with some code reviews and code cleanup. You might get a similar result by getting chrony which is the official ntp implementation on Fedora now anyway

Mac OS X 10.13.6 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

I am the project manager for NTPsec. If anyone wants to volunteer expertise and advice in creating and distributing good RPMs, we would love to have you.

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: [Packaging help required] for NTPSEC project

Hi Mark and WSLUser, clearly this requires some guidance over rpm creation so I have moved it to the Programming and Packaging section of the forum now. This is actively used by several of our members with expertise in such matters so hopefully you will get the assistance you need.

Mark thank you also for reaching out like that