XFCE task switcher in fedora
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

XFCE task switcher in fedora

I've recently had some muscle strains that have made it more difficult to use a mouse so I'm trying to change some habits over to using a keyboard. One area I haven't had much luck in XFCE on Fedora is the task switcher. The stock switcher works but is very limited which is as expected and typically desired with XFCE. I need something that will let me go into a task switcher UI and then type the first few letters of the window to let me quickly switch without having to use a mouse or switch manually using the arrow keys. I see some mentions for skippy-xd however this is not packaged for Fedora unfortunately nor has it appeared to have received any updates since 2015. I'd rather not switch desktop environments if possible. Thanks.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

Re: XFCE task switcher in fedora

I'm not a xfce user (Windowmaker here) but do you use workspaces? I usually have my browser(s) on one, email on another, office type apps on a third etc, that way alt+tab only has a few apps to flick through on each workspace and I can flick workspaces with ctrl+alt+[1-N] or ctrl+alt+pgUp/pgDown. I also set all my frequently used apps to shortcut keys, ctrl+alt+b for browser, ctrl+alt+m for mail etc so I hardly ever use the mouse.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

F28 Xfce user here. ALT+TAB or ALT+SHIFT+TAB (reverse) lets you cycle through open applications. You'll find this setting in the "Window Manager" application.

I never really got into workspaces much and even then I'd still need to be able to swap between windows. I have a few apps set up for shortcuts but if I have multiple instances of said app it can make switching between those windows difficult.

Alt (Shift) Tab in XFCE doesn't let you type in the name of the window you want to switch to as you would be able to do on OSX via "Expose". Even with just a handful of windows sitting there and using alt + tab plus the arrow keys doesn't feel as fluid as say something like Ctrl + R in a terminal window.

I was able to write a small shell script using zenity and wmctrl assigned to a hotkey that mimics this functionality but it still doesn't have any sort of autocomplete which can really help reduce the time to swap windows. I'd rather use a project that is built for this sort of purpose.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

If you haven't already done so you might search on the Xfce forum. Or ask there as there are a number of helpful Xfce experts there. https://forum.xfce.org/index.php

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

I don't know about XFCE, but in WindowMaker, if I select the "emulate application icon" (I think it's that one, I would have to check) option for an application then if I hit it's shortcut, e.g: ctrl+alt+m for mail, it will change focus to that window, without that option checked it would open a new window of the same type (useful for terminals etc). Surely XFCE has a similar setting?