dual boot with archliux and fedora 29: bootloader question
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Pale Moon 28.2.2

dual boot with archliux and fedora 29: bootloader question

hello i am using archlinux with systemd-boot and going to install fedora 29.

i would like to ask if if it more convenient to skip installing the grub bootloader in the fedora installation or proceed with the bootloader installation and remove it later after systemd-boot has been setup to load fedora.

1 thing i am not sure is does the vmlinuz kernel and init.img files exist both on the efi and root partition or only on the root partition? because when i browse the root partition in archlinux(sda9), it contains boot and boot/efi subdirectory which seems to belong to the efi partition(sda1). and would installing grub bootloader in the fedora setup create an automatic hook which updates the fedora kernel in efi partition whenever there are any changes to the kernel files on the root partition.

thanks

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: dual boot with archliux and fedora 29: bootloader question

1 thing i am not sure is does the vmlinuz kernel and init.img files exist both on the efi and root partition or only on the root partition?
    They exist only on the /boot partition (or directory if /boot is not its own partition). The /boot/efi/EFI/* entries just contain the individual distribution uefi *.efi bootloaders.

I've never used systemd-boot (formerly known as gummiboot) so I'm not fully aware of its capabilities. Fedora kernel updates come at a fast and furious rate. My guess is that you would need to manually do "# systemd-boot update" in order for arch to keep up with Fedora's new kernel updates.

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

I'd skip installing a Fedora grub2 bootloader as it will fail to boot your Arch install properly and most likely set itself as the default boot option in the efibootmgr startup list, overriding your systemd-boot settings.

you could use Arch to create a new systemd-boot entry for Fedora following the Archwiki instructions on the subject. the simple (almost hassle free) alternative is to use rEFInd which auto-detects all operating systems but that of course would replace systemd-boot.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

I'd skip installing a Fedora grub2 bootloader as it will fail to boot your Arch install properly and most likely set itself as the default boot option in the efibootmgr startup list, overriding your systemd-boot settings.
    I would recommend the exact opposite and use grub2 to boot everything. There is a grub page on ArchWiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB so I don't understand why grub2 can't boot Arch as well. If necessary you could create custom menuentry for Arch in the Fedora grub using config file loading in /etc/grub.d/40_custom if os-prober didn't detect Arch properly. Arch supports grub2 and can generate a grub.cfg file for the Arch kernels and initramfs with all the needed kernel options. The Fedora grub could then load this config file. You could also have the Arch grub take control and reference the Fedora config file for booting Fedora.

Fedora kernel updates come at a fast and furious rate. My guess is that you would need to manually do "# systemd-boot update" in order for arch to keep up with Fedora's new kernel updates.
    This is why grub2 should handle everything. It will be less maintenance.
    Last edited by amiga; 8th January 2019 at 10:42 PM.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux (Android 5.0) Chrome 71.0.3578.99

+1 to amiga's suggestion to install and use Fedoras grub2 rather than arch's systemd-boot. I have dual booted Fedora and LinuxMint for quite some time now. Many Fedora releases ago, grub2's os-prober wouldn't discover the LinuxMint install sitting right there on the same hdd. Things have changed since then and now os-prober is much more capable and should have no problem finding the arch install.

In the "old days", the trick was to just mount the partition where kernel boot files were of the other OS, then run the grub2-mkconfig line and then os-prober would see it.

I can understand the desire to stick with what you are already used to and comfortable with, in this case sticking with systemd-boot, but I also agree with amiga that switching to grub2 would be less of a maintenance headache. You would still need to run grub2-mkconfig in Fedora to pick up any new kernel installed in arch, but I'm sure it would be far less frequent from the other way round.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

I had recently installed arch (manjaro) linux with my fedora 29 and found out that arch will boot fedora, but fedora won't boot arch. Not sure about any uefi stuff, i run it all legacy bios. I did have luck allowing arch to have the boot controls. You will likely have to run from arch the terminal commands for os-prober (to locate the fedora kernels) and the grub mkconfig for your arch grub. You will likely have to repeat those to update arch's grub each time there's a fedora kernel update.. Good luck.
    (It's a hobby, but I like it)

Linux (Android 6.0) Android Browser 4.0

Exactly, arch is very problematic to boot from Fedora grub2 properly which is why I posted as I did. Check the Arch forums and you'll find plenty of threads corroborating this unfortunately. It causes kernel panics.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Exactly, arch is very problematic to boot from Fedora grub2 properly which is why I posted as I did. Check the Arch forums and you'll find plenty of threads corroborating this unfortunately. It causes kernel panics.
    Even so this only means that you have Arch's grub2 be in control to boot itself and Fedora. Trying to use systemd-boot to boot Fedora would be a maintenance headache.

You will likely have to run from arch the terminal commands for os-prober (to locate the fedora kernels) and the grub mkconfig for your arch grub. You will likely have to repeat those to update arch's grub each time there's a fedora kernel update.
    This is why I recommended config file loading. If you simply load the Fedora config file from Arch instead of using os-prober you never need to change the Arch grub.cfg if there is a Fedora kernel update. Every time you update the kernel on Fedora grub2-mkconfig is automatically run by the rpm actions. Both OS will have grub2 installed and have their own grub.cfg however Arch's grub2 will be in control in the EFI variables and simply reference the Fedora config file.

In Arch's /etc/grub.d/40_custom either with a separate /boot partition or without.

Code:
    menuentry 'Fedora 29 using grub2 configfile' {
       insmod ext2
       insmod part_gpt
       search --no-floppy --set=root --label boot_fedora29
       configfile /grub2/grub.cfg
    }

menuentry 'Fedora 29 using grub2 configfile' {
       insmod ext2
       insmod part_gpt
       search --no-floppy --set=root --label root_fedora29
       configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg