Install dual boot Fedora 29 on one HDD and other problems
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Android 5.0.1) Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Question Install dual boot Fedora 29 on one HDD and other problems

So, I had a laptop Lenovo IdeaPad 520 with my Windows 10 installed on it. Then, I needed to install Linux Fedora 29, but on the same drive.
    I've created Live USB, shrinked one of Windows partitions by 200 GB (so there is 200 GB of free space) and started LiveUSB on laptop. As I am new to Linux, I choose to create partitions automatically, but only using these 200 GB of free space. I installed Fedora, but when I shutted it down, it wrote for some reason '^@' on screen couple of times and doesn't seem to do anything else after that, so I shutted it down by button on keyboard.
    Then I tried to start it once more and it started successfully, but when I wanted to open an app it just does nothing or even freezes. The same thing was happening when I wanted to shut it down. So I google it and found that I should change some BIOS options:
    1. Boot Mode: UEFI -> Legacy Support
    2. OS Optimized Defaults: Enabled -> Disabled
    3. Load Default Settings
    I changed it, but nothing really happened. By the way, I could still turn on Windows 10 at this moment.
    So I tried to reinstall Fedora couple of times. I also tried to change in BIOS 'Boot Priority' from 'UEFI First' to 'Legacy First' and 'PXE Boot to LAN' from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled'.
    And also Fedora after shutting down LiveUSB or installed system started giving an error: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 0.
    And somewhere at this point after I was turning on my laptop, it was starting Fedora right away, passing boot loader. I tried to change BIOS properties back to what they were, but Windows 10 still wasn't in list of systems installed.
    Conclusion: for now I have Fedora LiveUSB, installed Fedora 29, but not working properly and as those steps shouldn't touch Windows, I guess it's installed on laptop, but it can't detect it.

So I hope for your solvings, I'll be very grateful.
    P.S. Sorry, if I wrote too much details.

Update: I changed Boot Mode back to UEFI and once more reinstalled Fedora. Now bootloader works properly and I can start Windows 10. But Fedora still have same issues: can't open any app and after shutdown says: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 0. By the way, the number of the CPU is changing sometimes.
    Last edited by iNeonFox; 5th January 2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Update

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: Install dual boot Fedora 29 on one HDD and other problems

Glad reinstalling Fedora fixed your Windows boot problem. This link explains the booting problem and how you could have attempted to fix manually https://blog.radwell.codes/2016/01/u...-10-and-linux/

As the live usb boot worked fine there may be some kernel boot parameters you need to adjust or possible other hardware issues but hopefully someone familiar with your hardware can help further.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Lightbulb Re: Install dual boot Fedora 29 on one HDD and other problems

After a whole of searching for a solution I finally found it! At the boot loader, when the Fedora system is highlighted, I pressed 'e' key to edit boot file. I added in line that starts with 'linux' in the end of line an attribute 'acpi=off' with space before it (after previous attribute). Then I pressed Ctrl+X to turn on Fedora. And it finally worked fine! Then, as it's only a temporary change until the next reboot, in terminal using root I changed the boot file. To find what is the path to this file (you will need it), type this command grubby --default-kernel and the output should be similar to: /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-1.fc23.x86_64. To read this file type: grubby --info /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-1.fc23.x86_64. Now, to add an attribute just type grubby --args="acpi=off" --update-kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-1.fc23.x86_64. But don't forget to change boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-1.fc23.x86_64 to your path of boot file.

Anyway, there is still a problem, but it's now not that bad. After I shutdown the Fedora, it says: reboot: System halted. and that's all. It doesn't really seems to be a problem, but if someone could solve, I would be also very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by hogweed
    ...As the live usb boot worked fine there may be some kernel boot parameters you need to adjust...
    Thanks for your reply! To that moment I didn't know what to search, but you helped me. Thanks a lot

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

fedora 23? what are you using that for? it is end of life so does not get patched for vulnerabilities or receive any form of program updates at all any more. Please use Fedora 28 or Fedora 29 as you claimed to be installing in your first post

edit - nevermind, i guess you cut and pasted from some old instructions for grubby usage

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 64.0

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    fedora 23? what are you using that for? it is end of life so does not get patched for vulnerabilities or receive any form of program updates at all any more. Please use Fedora 28 or Fedora 29 as you claimed to be installing in your first post

edit - nevermind, i guess you cut and pasted from some old instructions for grubby usage
    Yeah, I just took it from Fedora Documentation: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...2_Boot_Loader/