MariaDB update problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

MariaDB update problem

Running into a problem updating MariaDB that just started.
    I am seeing the following:

Running transaction check
    Transaction check succeeded.
    Running transaction test
    The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
    You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
    Error: Transaction check error:
    file /usr/lib64/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so from install of mariadb-server-3:10.2.21-1.fc28.x86_64 conflicts with file from package mariadb-connector-c-3.0.8-1.fc28.x86_64

Error Summary
    -------------

The fact that dnf first reports "Transaction check succeeded" and then "Error: Transaction check error:
    file /usr/lib64/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so from install of mariadb-server-3:10.2.21-1.fc28.x86_64 conflicts with file from package mariadb-connector-c-3.0.8-1.fc28.x86_64"

is confusing.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: MariaDB update problem

I often see similar errors that are transient. When an update is released it often takes time for all the mirrors to get back in sync so packages may not be able to properly update depending on which mirrors you happen to use and where they are in the sync process. Wait for a time for mirrors to sync then try again.

Another thing that might help is simply adding one or more of the options "--best" "--allowerasing" or "--skip-broken" to the dnf command line which can handle the error and allow the update to complete.

Notice that these are 2 different packages. Mariadb-connector-c-3.0.8 (old) and mariadb-server-3:10.2.21 (new) are conflicting. I think this is likely a mirror sync delay issue and it may resolve itself in a short time.

As far as your confusion about the delayed error report, notice that a transaction check is done, followed by a transaction test. Both have to pass before the actual update is done. Wording can be confusing, but the error was likely reported during the test, not the check.
    Last edited by computersavvy; 10th January 2019 at 06:38 AM.

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Thanks, you hit it. Things are updating properly.

Linux Firefox 60.0

back in my Fedora days, when I had update issues, I found letting them 'sit' a week or two usually solved them. I also learned that force-fixing them 'now' resulted in the same errors and more work when the now-fixed package rolled out. It was difficult to walk away from the failed weekly update - only a couple times!

;-)
    Change - the only constant.