"torbrowser-launcher" update break Tor launching !
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

"torbrowser-launcher" update break Tor launching !

Hi. Just few minutes ago, I received updates include that for "torbrowser-launcher" package. After update, Tor can not launched neither from GUI nor from terminal ! I removed "torbrowser-launcher" package then re-install them but same failure !

On terminal I got the following output:

Code:
    $ torbrowser-launcher
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/torbrowser-launcher", line 29, in <module>
        import torbrowser_launcher
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torbrowser_launcher/__init__.py", line 34, in <module>
        from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtWidgets
    ImportError: No module named PyQt5
    Any idea, kindly ?
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: "torbrowser-launcher" update break Tor launching !

Just tried and I see the same.

Seems it is a known problem with missing dependencies http://fedora.12.x6.nabble.com/Tor-b...td5082192.html and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1662497

I just tried the suggestion of

sudo dnf install python2-qt5 python2-gpg python2-requests

and after that torbrowser-launcher works again.

That should work but if not you can also run manually from the shell prompt bypassing torbrowser-launcher

~/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/start-tor-browser

@hogweed

Hi. Thank you for your response & answer.

Though it is other issue, but it seem that you are knowledgeable about Tor, so I will asking here:

Dear there is a Cinnamon applet called "Tor buttom":
    https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/298

it does not run on Fedora, & this seem to be due to paths of Tor directory different from that for Tor on Linux Mint & Ubuntu. When I try to run this applet which act to switch on Tor bundle without launching Tor browser itself, I got the following error message: "unable to run configuration file /etc/tor/torrc"

Please look for 2 screenshots bellow which show paths of Tor that are set by default in this applet & needed to be modified to be fit with Fedora Linux.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	29968

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	29969
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Well I'm not especially knowledgeable about tor but I can answer I think...

The settings in your posted screenshot are for a system installed tor not a user installed tor browser bundle. So you can either "sudo dnf install tor" and then these settings should work with the official Fedora packaged tor or else you can try changing these settings to point to your tbb tor inside your ~./local/share. These settings look like they should probably be (for x64 en-us).

Tor location path: ~/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/tor
    Tor config path: ~/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc

Note that if you point to your user tbb tor you won't get any automatic updates including security fixes unless you also still regularly run tbb itself to handle the updates.
    Last edited by hogweed; 5th January 2019 at 03:42 PM.

Thank you too much for your very informative replay ! But I did not applied the paths you suggested because you make me know information that I did not know before ! I have now more questions but I have to explain the following: when I installed Tor browser on my Fedora & was on Fedora 24. At that time, I searched about Tor but I DID NOT SEE ANY PACKAGE CALLED tor or Tor at all ! I only saw "torbrowser-launcher" package. Now after your replay "sudo dnf install tor" I searched package & saw package called "tor". It is NOT a browser! It is not Tor browser ! It is Tor bundle only !!

Now I have the following questions before I proceed for action on my system:

1) I feel that "sudo dnf install tor" is the best choice. Is this correct or not ?

2) does "sudo dnf install tor" interfer by any way with use of "Tor browser via torbrowser-launcher" in any way?

3) I feel that use of Tor browser from within torbrowser-launcher will make only Tor browser connected to tor network while "tor" from "sudo dnf install tor" will make a connection over tor network activated but no any application will make of use from it automatically but user have to configure application manually to use tor bundle. Is this correct ?

4) does "tor" from "sudo dnf install tor" has special GUI to configure it or it is configured from within command line ?

5) last question: you said "if you point to your user tbb tor you won't get any automatic updates including security fixes unless you also still regularly run tbb itself to handle the updates."

Please can you explain more ? I did not understood !

I do not use automatic update at all. But I like to know: what is the relation between automatic update & tor bundle from within portable package of Tor browser that came by torbrowser-launcher ? In my mind the following: if I activate tor bundle (whether tor from "sudo dnf install tor" or tor from torbrowser-launcher") it will not make any application use Tor network unless I configure this application manually to use Tor network. So, why automatic update affected if I activated tor ? And if this affect automatic update then why you restrict the case to "user tbb tor" only ?

Kindly if you answer these questions point by point to avoid confusion.

Sorry I can't give much more advice. However some general answers.

A dnf installed tor shouldn't interfere with tbb unless you try to run both at the same time listening on the same port.

Yes running the system tor alone, it will just be listening on a socks port waiting for connections (once you start it).

I don't have the system tor installed but presumably you just edit /etc/tor/torrc for configuration.

Automatic updates are done by the tor browser launcher (and I think by tbb itself these days). If you just run the tor binary directly from the bundle then it will never run any auto-update code (until next time you run tor browser itself). If you have the system installed tor then it will get automatic updates from the Fedora repository.

You are correct in that no matter how you run tor, no other applications will use it unless you tell them to.

tor browser bundle is just tor bundled with a modified firefox browser pre-configured to use the included tor. Other applications can still connect to the tor supplied with tor browser bundle if you configure them to do so.

The "tor button" you wanted to use says on its webpage that you can either use the system installed tor or the browser version. If you don't want to use tor browser but just want to use tor for other things to connect to I would guess the best option would be the Fedora provided tor but that's up to you.

Your follow-up questions are really more tor specific and not especially Fedora related and there are probably better places to ask if you still have questions although I can try.
    Last edited by hogweed; 5th January 2019 at 09:21 PM.

Many thanks ! No further questions, you make every thing clear !

Just to explain one thing: I confused from your replay "if you point to your user tbb tor you won't get any automatic updates including ......." , because I understood wrongly that you meant automatic update of Fedora OS ! But from your last reply It is clear now you meant automatic update of Tor browser itself.

Nice thread & happy to meet you here !

@hogweed

Sorry, but this time some thing related to Fedora ! I remove "Solved" lebel due to it. I installed tor by sudo dnf install tor but I got fetal error ! Output was as following:

Code:
    $ sudo dnf install tor
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:48 ago on Sat 05 Jan 2019 10:29:55 PM GMT.
    Dependencies resolved.
    ================================================================================
     Package          Arch           Version                  Repository       Size
    ================================================================================
    Installing:
     tor              x86_64         0.3.4.9-1.fc28           updates         2.9 M
    Installing dependencies:
     torsocks         x86_64         2.3.0-1.fc28             updates          72 k

Transaction Summary
    Install  2 Packages

Total download size: 3.0 M
    Installed size: 13 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/2): torsocks-2.3.0-1.fc28.x86_64.rpm          55 kB/s |  72 kB     00:01    
    (2/2): tor-0.3.4.9-1.fc28.x86_64.rpm            171 kB/s | 2.9 MB     00:17    
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total                                           166 kB/s | 3.0 MB     00:18     
    Running transaction check
    Transaction check succeeded.
    Running transaction test
    Transaction test succeeded.
    Running transaction
      Preparing        :                                                        1/1 
      Installing       : torsocks-2.3.0-1.fc28.x86_64                           1/2 
      Running scriptlet: tor-0.3.4.9-1.fc28.x86_64                              2/2 
    (Sat Jan  5 22:31:40:916650 2019) [sss_cache] [confdb_get_domains] (0x0010): No domains configured, fatal error!
    Could not open available domains
    groupadd: sss_cache exited with status 2
    groupadd: Failed to flush the sssd cache.
    (Sat Jan  5 22:31:40:925979 2019) [sss_cache] [confdb_get_domains] (0x0010): No domains configured, fatal error!
    groupadd: sss_cache exited with status 2
    groupadd: Failed to flush the sssd cache.
    (Sat Jan  5 22:31:41:195902 2019) [sss_cache] [confdb_get_domains] (0x0010): No domains configured, fatal error!
    useradd: sss_cache exited with status 2
    useradd: Failed to flush the sssd cache.
    (Sat Jan  5 22:31:41:204940 2019) [sss_cache] [confdb_get_domains] (0x0010): No domains configured, fatal error!
    useradd: sss_cache exited with status 2
    useradd: Failed to flush the sssd cache.
      Installing       : tor-0.3.4.9-1.fc28.x86_64                              2/2 
      Running scriptlet: tor-0.3.4.9-1.fc28.x86_64                              2/2 
      Verifying        : tor-0.3.4.9-1.fc28.x86_64                              1/2 
      Verifying        : torsocks-2.3.0-1.fc28.x86_64                           2/2 

Installed:
      tor.x86_64 0.3.4.9-1.fc28             torsocks.x86_64 2.3.0-1.fc28            

Complete!
    What was this ? Applet did not work !

Sorry don't know why you get these errors. I just tried on a VM and I don't get that although they don't seem to be fatal errors. What error do you get from the applet? If all you want to do is start the system tor then "sudo systemctl start tor" should work and you can use "sudo systemctl status tor" to check the status.

Investigating it looks like the system tor can't be run by a normal user (it needs to be toranon) which may be what tor button app is trying to do. Starting with systemctl should work though.

Hi. I created a bug report about installation of "tor" package at the following link:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1663655

Please any one suffer from this issue to confirm it in above link on BugZilla.

Bug is closed ! Issue not related to tor package, but it seem that my sssd configuration is broken ! For that it is appropriate to lebel this thread as "Solved", & to open a new thread about my sssd broken configuration.

Hi. There is a bug in the applet itself & need an update & it seem that it's developer can not currently do this ! See following:

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamo...ts/issues/2197

I run:

sudo systemctl sssd enable
    sudo systemctl sssd start

then reboot

After that "sudo dnf install tor" (installed without any problem). But applet did not work.

I removed "solved" for that.

Now you have tor installed successfully can you clarify why you need to use the Cinnamon "Tor Button" applet (especially as the developer has replied he is not able to maintain it at the moment) and not just "sudo systemctl start tor" ? The system tor will be listening by default on 127.0.0.1:9050 just as the applet page says.
    Last edited by hogweed; 7th January 2019 at 04:00 PM.

Is there a GUI for tor package to be used to launch it / configure it ? I will be very thankful to you if you can give me one.

There is no gui to configure it but that's the same even for tor browser bundle for underlying tor (except for connection mode in tbb) . Why would you need to configure it? The tor authors say you shouldn't change any defaults unless you really know what you are doing as you could reduce privacy unwittingly. If you really know what you are doing then you don't need a gui. There used to be a more general gui configuration option for tor but they removed it years ago as no longer supported and potentially dangerous.

If there is some specific option you need to configure then you should check the tor documentation, understand what you are doing fully and any implications and then edit the config file.

Is there something specific you want to change from defaults such as entry bridges or exit country?
    Last edited by hogweed; 8th January 2019 at 12:44 AM.