F29 installation on an old MSI CR500
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

Exclamation F29 installation on an old MSI CR500

Hi everyone, it's my first post here.
    I got an old laptop for free and I wanted to install Fedora 29 on it, but the problem is that it hangs and freezes before the installation begins. This happens with Ubuntu too, so I know it's not a Fedora exclusive problem.
    I've read that it's because of the GPU (in this case a GeForce 8200m G) and I even saw in some posts that I had to boot with something called nomodeset, but everyone already had their distro installed and they invoked this option using the GRUB menu. I don't, so I don't know how to start it.

I appreciate the help, and sorry if this seems like a newbie question, but I'm having no luck at all with this one.

Thanks!

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Re: F29 installation on an old MSI CR500

please refer to this, hope it makes sense as there would be no point copying it out here for you to blindly follow. it explains how to edit the boot entry and where to add the nomodeset option and then how to boot.

Windows 7 Firefox 64.0

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    please refer to this, hope it makes sense as there would be no point copying it out here for you to blindly follow. it explains how to edit the boot entry and where to add the nomodeset option and then how to boot.
    Thanks for the link, I'm assuming that what I'm looking for is basic graphic installation, because if not, I can't find any reference to nomodeset in that page.
    Now, if I start the installation with basic graphics it gets stuck at "started network manager script dispatcher service". So I don't know what else I should be doing.

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

Quote Originally Posted by FabriciusFab
    I can't find any reference to nomodeset in that page.
    it's details on how to add any instruction to the boot command when starting up from an ISO, that is why it does not explicitly mention nomodeset. everything you need is there though, using basic graphic mode shouldn't be necessary.

Every menu entry in the list is a predefined set of boot options, and these options can be customized to change some aspects of the installerís behavior. To edit the default set of boot options, press Tab on BIOS systems, or e on UEFI systems. The key to use is also displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Editing boot options in GRUB2 (on UEFI systems) will display the entire configuration for the selected entry. Actual boot options are configured on the line which starts with the linux (or linux16 or linuxefi) keyword. Do not modify any other lines in the configuration.

On systems with BIOS firmware, only the actual boot options are displayed when you press Tab.

When editing the default set of options, you can change the existing ones as well as append additional ones. Once you finish, press Enter on BIOS or Ctrl+X on UEFI to boot the installer using your customized options.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 64.0

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    it's details on how to add any instruction to the boot command when starting up from an ISO, that is why it does not explicitly mention nomodeset. everything you need is there though, using basic graphic mode shouldn't be necessary.
    I've followed the instructions and it turns out that basic graphics mode is in fact booting with code nomodeset, as when I press tab in that option, the code below says so.
    With that in hand, my problem persists: installation gets stuck after "started network manager script dispatcher service", meaning that it never loads the GNOME display manager