Going from dual boot back to single boot without losing the bootloader
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Android 5.1.1) Android Browser 4.0

Going from dual boot back to single boot without losing the bootloader

I wanted to try Ubuntu as a second OS because I couldn't get something to work on Fedora 28. It works even less on Ubuntu 18, so I want to go back to only having Fedora on the computer.

I tried something similar some years ago by just removing the Ubuntu partition, but that resulted in the bootloader getting wrecked and I ended up having to do a fresh installation of Fedora to make the computer useable again.
    I really want to avoid reinstalling all the packages and programs, and redoing all the customization.

How can I remove Ubuntu so that my Fedora remains useable?

Linux Mozilla 52.0

Re: Going from dual boot back to single boot without losing the bootloader

"Some years ago" you were probably using legacy MBR booting method, which was more susceptible to one OS wresting boot control from another. PCs since around a decade ago have been offering UEFI booting at least as an option. With UEFI, the PC's BIOS plays a larger part in the boot selection process, so elimination of one OS from the PC won't render the system unbootable. You may need to enter and make a trivial change in BIOS setup to be able to continue booting after a removal.

Even if you are booting MBR, if you have updated to include a new Fedora kernel since last updating Ubuntu, it's highly unlikely Ubuntu retains bootloader control.

Unless your intent is to migrate the space into (an) existing Fedora partition(s), or mount it for accessory use, removing the Ubuntu partition won't accomplish anything useful, while removing its partition(s) could conceivably create a need for minor boot configuration fixup. Post output from 'parted -l', lsblk and blkid here for analysis if you want to be 100% sure what to expect from a removal.

If you keep the Ubuntu partitions as they are now, you could use them to test an upcoming Fedora release, making yourself a Fedora beta tester, or install a future release fresh without disturbing your existing one.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

That "trivial change in BIOS setup" and "minor boot configuration fixup" is the problem.

What can I expect to happen and prepare for? I rather not want to make my computer unbootable and then spend the day searching for fixes on my tablet.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 71.0.3578.98

The recommendations of mrmazda are what I would do.

I personally keep one set of partitions for testing, updates, whatever; and if you have enough space in your fedora install to do everything needed then simply leaving that space idle until needed is the easiest.

If you are determined to return the space to the fedora install then read up, carefully, on grub2.
    In fedora the grub config is mostly located in /etc/grub.d/ and /etc/default/grub.
    Be careful though, since changing things without fully understanding what you are doing COULD break the system and prevent booting.