f28 to 29 upgrade causing sleep mode
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mac OS X 10.12.2 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

f28 to 29 upgrade causing sleep mode

HI,
    After upgrading f28 to f29, immediately after logging in, it goes into power-save or sleep mode.
    I tried single user mode and logging in as root, then systemctrl mask suspend.target
    and systemctl mask sleep.target which does get round it and takes me to the desktop on reboot target from single user mode.

But this doesn't seem to permanently mask sleep.

How would I permanently disable sleep and suspend on f29?

mask UNITů
    Mask one or more units, as specified on the command line. This will link these unit files to /dev/null, making it impossible to start them. This is a stronger version of disable, since it prohibits all kinds of activation of the unit, including enablement and manual activation. Use this option with care. This honors the --runtime option to only mask temporarily until the next reboot of the system. The --now option may be used to ensure that the units are also stopped. This command expects valid unit names only, it does not accept unit file paths.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: f28 to 29 upgrade causing sleep mode

Could you try to boot the F29 live CD/USB, will that logon or also enter some power-save mode?

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

Re: f28 to 29 upgrade causing sleep mode

Quote Originally Posted by jhearon
    HI,
    After upgrading f28 to f29, immediately after logging in, it goes into power-save or sleep mode.
    I tried single user mode and logging in as root, then systemctrl mask suspend.target
    and systemctl mask sleep.target which does get round it and takes me to the desktop on reboot target from single user mode.

But this doesn't seem to permanently mask sleep.

How would I permanently disable sleep and suspend on f29?

mask UNITů
    Mask one or more units, as specified on the command line. This will link these unit files to /dev/null, making it impossible to start them. This is a stronger version of disable, since it prohibits all kinds of activation of the unit, including enablement and manual activation. Use this option with care. This honors the --runtime option to only mask temporarily until the next reboot of the system. The --now option may be used to ensure that the units are also stopped. This command expects valid unit names only, it does not accept unit file paths.

-------------------------
    More on this issue...

Fedora Settings GUI for Power. Power Saving, Blank screen keeps resetting to 0 seconds, although I tried manually setting it to Never.

Other things I've tried:

1. masking (per above) doesn't seem to work permanently for reboot. If I go into single user mode and unmask, then mask suspend.target, and sleep.target again, it will work to move past the login screen to gnome desktop.

2. Tried this approach from Stack Exchange to add to .bash_profile, but strangely the system keeps deleting this from the .bash_profile (odd?)

# Inhibit idle sleep. This background process waits for the current shell to exit.
    nohup systemd-inhibit --who=Bash --why="Byobu running" tail --pid=$$ -f /dev/null &

3. Listed power settings keys using
    >gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power

org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'suspend'
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim true
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'suspend'
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout 1200
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-type 'suspend'
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power ambient-enabled true
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-brightness 30

...and tried to set idle-dim to false
    >gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim false

but get
    dconf-WARNING **: 09:16:20.942: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

4. tried to edit via gui using dconf-editor, but it won't set idle-dim to off. Just bounces back to on.

5. Investigated the machine's bios settings to see if was something in there. Nope.

Geez. I feel like I'm loosing control here with the system overriding all my efforts to stop the machine from blanking or idling, or going into sleep mode...whatever it's doing just after the login where I get a black screen with white letters saying "sleep mode" instead of the desktop. Really weird.

Jim