Gnome Box: run 32-bit on 64-bit? The reverse? Both Fedora, both the same release.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Question Gnome Box: run 32-bit on 64-bit? The reverse? Both Fedora, both the same release.

Can I run Fedora 29 (32-bit) in a Gnome Box on Fedora 29 (64-bit), or would the difference in address sizes nix that possibility?

Michael

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: Gnome Box: run 32-bit on 64-bit? The reverse? Both Fedora, both the same release.

yes you can run a 32-bit VM on a 64-bit host OS

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Re: Gnome Box: run 32-bit on 64-bit? The reverse? Both Fedora, both the same release.

Thanks. My desktop is 64-bit and 32-bit Fedora 29 runs fine on it. But it would be nice to have both: the 32-bit, for a project I'm doing, and the 64-bit for everyday use.

Michael

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

I opened Boxes to see what VMs were available. Lots there but didn't spot a Fedora 29 32-bit version, though several other OSs had i686 versions.

Also, must one download every time one wants to use the VM or can the the VM, and any files one creates on that VM, be saved locally for reuse?

I'm currently running 32-bit Fedora 29 but would like to run it in a box on 64-bit.

Michael

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.98

I use virtualbox personally. with boxes you are not restricted to the list of available VMs, they are just suggested machine configuration templates.

sure you can save and re-use a virtual machine

I suggest you do some further reading about virtual machine usage but in particular gnome boxes, there are plenty of tutorials and beginners guides on the internet that cover this

also, don't be afraid to create a machine and give it a go in conjunction with reading these tutorials. the sooner you do, the faster you will get your head around it.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 71.0.3578.98

My focus is pretty narrow. I just read about Gnome Boxes a few days ago and realized they might figure into some things I've been doing.

Will have a look at the tutorials.

Thanks.

Michael

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 64.0

I did a little exploring and, except for a few stumbles, managed to get Fedora 29 i686 running on a fresh install of Fedora 29 x86_64. Indeed, I'm sending this message from the 32-bit "box." I'm impressed.

More later.

Michael

How does one access a thumb drive or a CD/DVD? I thought I managed to get the box to acknowledge a thumb drive in the box's files folder earlier today but can't seem to do it tonight. Also, I've noticed that clicking on the box icon in the boxes window to open it can have two results: the box may open the way it's supposed to or it may just generate that spinning circle wait icon eternally. Is there a cursor click timing issue--some clicks noticed others not?

This desktop has a i7 2600K and 8GB. Might using a TV for a screen figure into it? I'm going to swap desktops tomorrow and check it out. I'm also using a wi/fi mouse and keyboard here. The other setup is hardwired.

Michael

I swapped desktops and encountered the same problem. I also had a look at USB redirection for Gnome Boxes and, as of about two years ago, it wasn't working.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...g-not-working/

Has this problem been fixed, or was yesterday's Next Big Thing abandoned?

Swapping boxes seems to have affected my wireless icon in the upper right corner of my screen (it's MIA). Network settings says my "Cable unplugged," as though my guest OS shared some DNA with my host OS. But I can still access the internet as I'm currently writing this in my host OS. Explanations welcome.

Michael

A reboot brought back the wireless icon.

I used Dropbox to transfer my work folder to the virtual box. A library didn't make it through but I can rebuild that. Will try it out this evening.

Library rebuilt. Everything works. Pretty neat.

Will the box maintain its state if I don't power it down, but power down the host system?

Michael

I'm not sure I'd want to even risk it as it would not necessarily be at all reliable afterwards. virtual machines should be treated as per real ones since simply cutting power (closing the VM instance) without shutting down or hibernating can lead to the same potential system corruption problems as with a bare metal PC.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

That was my hunch. Thanks for confirming.

no problem, by the way the reason I've not been replying to some other questions is I have no experience of GNOME boxes, only virtualbox. I'm surprised nobody else has not got involved though as there must be other members of this forum using boxes :S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast