installed program not found
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

installed program not found

Dear Fedora community,
    I need to install pgplot because it is required by another program. I installed it through Discover, and the other program did not detect it. I removed it and installed manually and the same problem occurred.
    I have a fedora 29 Workstation edition and I am not exactly a linux expert. For the other program, I need to specify the path where pgplot should be installed. For example in > /usr/local/pgplot

But according to the following commands is not installed, but according to discover, the program is already installed..

Gomez@zbook ~]$ whereis pgplot
    pgplot: /usr/libexec/pgplot /usr/share/pgplot
    [Gomez@zbook ~]$ which pgplot
    /usr/bin/which: no pgplot in (/home/Gomez/.local/bin:/home/Gomez/bin:/home/Gomez/.local/bin:/home/Gomez/bin:/usr/share/Modules/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin)

Is someone that can help me?
    Regards
    Maria Eugenia

Re: installed program not found

pgplot is not a program, it's a set of libraries that something else is meant to use.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf search pgplot
    ========== Name Exactly Matched: pgplot ===========
    pgplot.x86_64 : Graphic library for making simple scientific graphs
    ========== Summary & Name Matched: pgplot ==========
    tcl-pgplot.x86_64 : Tcl/Tk driver for pgplot
    pgplot-demos.x86_64 : Demo applications of pgplot
    tcl-pgplot-devel.x86_64 : Tcl/Tk driver for pgplot devel files
    perl-PGPLOT.x86_64 : Perl extension for using the pgplot library
    pgplot-devel.x86_64 : Libraries, includes, etc. used to develop an application with pgplot
    That's the result of running "dnf search pgplot" from a terminal, so for basic running of this you'd probably want packages "pgplot.x86_64" and "pgplot-demos.x86_64" would be a good idea too because when I installed it too I could use the samples it came with like /usr/bin/cpgdemo, to test and verify it was working.

Anyway, so I installed them:
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf install pgplot pgplot-demos
    and tried a demo (seeing the demo filenames in the package with "rpm -qvl pgplot-demo" where "qvl" means query, verbose, filelist)
    Code:
    $ cpgdemo
    you have to tell it what mode to use, I tried "/XWiNDOW" and "/XSERVE" and got a result (see attached showing one of the plots)
    "pgplot-devel" package would be of use if you were trying to write your own pgplot apps but you don't need if it you just want to run it.

The libraries it installs are in /usr/lib64 and are

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                       19 Aug 19 10:57 /usr/lib64/libcpgplot.so.5 -> libcpgplot.so.5.2.2
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root                   425144 Aug 19 10:58 /usr/lib64/libcpgplot.so.5.2.2
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                       18 Aug 19 10:57 /usr/lib64/libpgplot.so.5 -> libpgplot.so.5.2.2
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root                   420600 Aug 19 10:58 /usr/lib64/libpgplot.so.5.2.2
    (again you can see those files with "rpm -qlv pgplot", there were more files than those in the package but these are the libraries)

Installing the 'pgplot' package automatically runs 'ldconfig' for you so your system should just automatically find the libraries, they go in /usr/lib64 like I wrote earlier:

Code:
    $  ldconfig -p | grep pgplot
            libpgplot.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libpgplot.so.5
            libpgplot.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libpgplot.so
            libcpgplot.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libcpgplot.so.5
            libcpgplot.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libcpgplot.so
    So if for some reason your other program still can't find them, configure it to look in /usr/lib64
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpgdemo.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	29948  
    Last edited by marko; 6th December 2018 at 11:50 AM.

Re: installed program not found

Dear Marko,
    thanks for your quick reply! I could follow all the steps you mentioned and also reproduced the demos. So, now I know that pgplot is a library and I have it!
    But, the program that needs pgplot needs something like an executable (I think) located in...
    /usr/lib64/pgplot64

But... I do not have nothing like pgplot64 or pgplot.
    The porgram I am trying to configure is Fourfit. And it says..
    configure: PGPLOT was too hard to find.
    configure: Try setting PGPLOT_DIR to point to a directory
    configure: that contains symbolic links to the installed
    configure: files libpgplot.a, libcpgplot.a and grfont.dat,
    configure: and also make sure pgxwin_server is on your PATH.
    I do not know... I tried many different ways...

Regards
    Maria Eugenia

[Gomez@zbook ~]$ sudo dnf search pgplot
    [sudo] password for Gomez:
    ========================= Name Exactly Matched: pgplot =========================
    pgplot.i686 : Graphic library for making simple scientific graphs
    ======================== Name & Summary Matched: pgplot ========================
    tcl-pgplot.i686 : Tcl/Tk driver for pgplot
    tcl-pgplot-devel.i686 : Tcl/Tk driver for pgplot devel files
    pgplot-devel.i686 : Libraries, includes, etc. used to develop an application
    : with pgplot
    pgplot-devel.x86_64 : Libraries, includes, etc. used to develop an application
    : with pgplot

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    pgplot is not a program, it's a set of libraries that something else is meant to use.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf search pgplot
    ========== Name Exactly Matched: pgplot ===========
    ========== Summary & Name Matched: pgplot ==========
    pgplot-devel.x86_64 : Libraries, includes, etc. used to develop an application with pgplot
    That's the result of running "dnf search pgplot" from a terminal, so for basic running of this you'd probably want packages "pgplot.x86_64" and "pgplot-demos.x86_64" would be a good idea too because when I installed it too I could use the samples it came with like /usr/bin/cpgdemo, to test and verify it was working.

Anyway, so I installed them:
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf install pgplot pgplot-demos
    and tried a demo (seeing the demo filenames in the package with "rpm -qvl pgplot-demo" where "qvl" means query, verbose, filelist)
    Code:
    $ cpgdemo
    you have to tell it what mode to use, I tried "/XWiNDOW" and "/XSERVE" and got a result (see attached showing one of the plots)
    "pgplot-devel" package would be of use if you were trying to write your own pgplot apps but you don't need if it you just want to run it.

The libraries it installs are in /usr/lib64 and are

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                       19 Aug 19 10:57 /usr/lib64/libcpgplot.so.5 -> libcpgplot.so.5.2.2
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root                   425144 Aug 19 10:58 /usr/lib64/libcpgplot.so.5.2.2
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                       18 Aug 19 10:57 /usr/lib64/libpgplot.so.5 -> libpgplot.so.5.2.2
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root                   420600 Aug 19 10:58 /usr/lib64/libpgplot.so.5.2.2
    (again you can see those files with "rpm -qlv pgplot", there were more files than those in the package but these are the libraries)

Installing the 'pgplot' package automatically runs 'ldconfig' for you so your system should just automatically find the libraries, they go in /usr/lib64 like I wrote earlier:

Code:
    $  ldconfig -p | grep pgplot
            libpgplot.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libpgplot.so.5
            libpgplot.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libpgplot.so
            libcpgplot.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libcpgplot.so.5
            libcpgplot.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libcpgplot.so
    So if for some reason your other program still can't find them, configure it to look in /usr/lib64