UEFI boot hangs on "Starting dracut initqueue hook" with Fedora 29 Server Install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Android 7.1.2) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

UEFI boot hangs on "Starting dracut initqueue hook" with Fedora 29 Server Install

I downloaded the Fedora 29 Server bootable ISO DVD and burned it to a USB drive using the Fedora media writer tool.

I can boot to the UEFI installer but it always hangs on "Starting dracut initqueue hook" before timing out and failing.

I can confirm that the media is verified correct and that it is not corrupt.

I am able to boot and install everything correctly using the non-UEFI boot from the same disk.

Interestingly, the UEFI installer boots and installs just fine on the same computer using CentOS 7.5

The system is:
    AMD Ryzen 2600
    ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
    Hynix 32GB (16x2) Memory
    Crucial MX500 512GB SSD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181205_084852.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	29945

Name:	IMG_20181205_084828.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	29946

Name:	IMG_20181205_084752.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	29947

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Re: UEFI boot hangs on "Starting dracut initqueue hook" with Fedora 29 Server Install

I can able to narrow this down to the USB drive. Fedora is NOT bootable with UEFI from my SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB (SDCZ43) which is a USB 3.0 device. Note that it will boot and install properly from this same drive when using the non-UEFI bootloader.

I installed the same image to a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB model (SDCZ60-016G) which is USB 2.0 and it boots just fine in both UEFI and legacy.

The port I was using is a USB 3.1 Gen1 port according to the board manufacturer and was obtained from the header on the motherboard. I also tried the USB 2.0 ports next to the PS/2 port which are normally reserved for the mouse and keyboard and experienced the same error.

The mothertboard is an ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac.

Where should I file a report on this? I know that there is https://bugzilla.redhat.com but I'm not sure where exactly to file it.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: UEFI boot hangs on "Starting dracut initqueue hook" with Fedora 29 Server Install

Fedora boots fine from UEFI from SanDisk Ultra-Fit drives for me across a variety of systems. I know that's not much help to you - just pointing out that it is not a general problem.

Also the fact you've got to a dracut emergency shell seems to confirm that at least the basic UEFI boot did in fact work but something is wrong down the line. Is the info at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...racut_problems of any use?
    Last edited by hogweed; 7th December 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Just found this which might be connected.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/...y_fail_to_boot

UEFI install in 'basic graphics mode' may fail to boot

link to this item - Bugzilla: #1628495

Several testers have reported that attempting to boot Fedora 29 installer images in native UEFI mode and using the Install Fedora 29 in basic graphics mode option from the Troubleshooting menu may fail to reach the graphical installer successfully.

So far, this bug has not been reported to affect any system which does not boot successfully using the regular boot option, so we suggest simply doing that instead. If you have a system which fails to boot either in "normal" or "basic" graphics mode, please report this to the bug.
    Last edited by hogweed; 7th December 2018 at 02:53 PM.