ryzen 2700x at a bargain price for black friday - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: ryzen 2700x at a bargain price for black friday

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Now if 'only' DDR4 Memory prices would come down to reasonable levels...
    Why, DDR4 sux
    Memory is only one example of how hardware is in a sort of blind alley. Nothing substantial going on, just manufacturing process getting refined and that can get you only so far. Look at Intel's problems even with 14nm supply, so that they had to ask TSMC to help them. In like 5 years ago that would be unthinkable.

I read somewhere a bit of a joke. That the only way to get more performance is to make more vulnerable hardware. Imagine real hyperthreading that would be almost as fast as real cores! But of course - don't patch it!

Mary, I am in Canada. The USA is jacking up prices, and their Canadian affiliates (amazon, ebay, bestbuy, newegg) are transferring those proces to Canada. I think it's a Presidential phenomena .
    I hve started to look at suppliers other than American affiliates.
    On Black Friday, I bought my system for about $50.00 below the then current retail price from the same supplier that now lists the 2700x at $15.00 more than the retail price in effect prior to Black Friday. Intel can't meet demand so people are switching to AMD. Is it AMD that is raising the price.? Canadian and International prices should be lower than the USA ones, taking into consideration, money conversions
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Look at Intel's problems even with 14nm supply, so that they had to ask TSMC to help them. In like 5 years ago that would be unthinkable.
    They also share an SSD fabrication facility and architecture design with Micron, that partnership has been going around 5 years.

Intel have also gone to AMD to improve Intel's integrated graphics on certain 8th Generation Mobile Core chips as well for premium thin notebooks, tablets or 2-in-1 devices. That came as more of a surprise to me than Intel outsourcing some RAM fabrication to TSMC as it seems an odd move on AMD's part but I guess they know what they are doing. You'd expect AMD to want to push the new Ryzen Mobile APU on the OEMs rather than have their GPU integrated into the opposition's product as well. There are now a few notebooks and 2-in-1 products now using Ryzen APU but the OEMs are hardly making a dent in the market with them.

Went to AliBaba.com and the Ryzen 2700x are offered at $180.00 Thats under $300 for a Canadian price. Current Canadian Prices post Black Friday are $424.00
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

I had to smile reading 'alibaba.com' . My mind pictured a arab man standing on the corner with items to sell cheap from inside of robe pockets... . BTW NewEgg is still showing $329. Seems like that has been the price for some time (other than Black Friday). Might have been $319 though before...

A bit off-topic (maybe), but one issue I do have with my Ryzen system concerns the VMs. I don't 'think' it is Ryzen related, but more Nvidia graphics driver (or Virtual Box) related. Anyway, if I play a video (say youtube) from within the VM, sometimes the whole screen will 'freeze' (not just the VM). Happened last night when kicking the wheels of a newly installed F29 VM. Does it in other VMs (F27, F28, Ubuntu) as well. Only way I know how to get out of this mode is to reboot. Note I can do the <CNTL><ALT>F2 to get to a terminal session to reboot, so system is still running during the 'freeze'. As long as I stay away from Video I've not seen this problem (guessing issue is there, but the chances of happening are way lower). BTW, not looking for a solution here, just an observation!
    Last edited by rclark; 5th December 2018 at 04:57 PM.

Ryzen 3000's are around the corner. What I have been reading is impressive. A 3000x product that runs at 50 watts and has a graphical output.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...s_its_game_on/https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...s_its_game_on/
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 5th December 2018 at 04:17 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Impressive if true. Basically next year, my mid R5 would go from 6 to 8 cores at higher clocks for about the same price. Or jump to the R7 and get 12 cores at higher clocks... Not really interested in the internal GPU. Anyway, if true, AMD is truly on a roll....

Impressive if true. Basically next year, my mid R5 would go from 6 to 8 cores at higher clocks for about the same price. Or jump to the R7 and get 12 cores at higher clocks... Not really interested in the internal GPU. Anyway, if true, AMD is truly on a roll....
    Rock and roll if EPYC takes off

Since nobody else has mentioned them yet AMD EPYC that are the AMD Zen range for servers have also hit the market now (up to 64 cores, 128 threads over 2 sockets per server blade). I've had a request from an existing client for a rack full of server blades so am looking into building them at present versus off the shelf versus Intel options.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

Yes the EPYC line is really impressive for servers. Just way out my price range and a lot of those cores would just be idle here at home .

Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Hi Antikythera,
    Intel's approach to putting all the cores on a single substrate is their downfall. Yes, the interconnection between cores is faster, but expansion to many cores is a manufacturing nightmare, because of yields.

AMD had a product plan with expansion in mind. In contrast, my view is that Intel was focused on refining their existing product line. AMD had long term vision to produce outstanding products in a two year window, whereas Intel for the same technology, was looking at five years.

Now We need motherboard manufacturers and DDR5 chip makers do their share. The world needs more silicone product manufacturers. Competition to drive innovation and to bring in competitive pricing.

With regard to motherboard bios systems, I read that the onboard Ram is limited to 16gig. Board vendors are telling AMD that the bios Ram is running out of room and they need to produce a new line of boards for AMD's 3000 series and for DDR5 and the new PCI standard.

Whew, a lot posted in one message.
    Leslie in Montreal

Yes the EPYC line is really impressive for servers. Just way out my price range and a lot of those cores would just be idle here at home .
    Likewise if I had the money and need for it I'd have got a Threadripper 2990WX. It would run Minesweeper and Freecell really really well...

Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

My two games are freecell and the word game sometimes called wonder word. For the latter, introduction level is three characters. A single you have to work your way up to more character guessing.
    A single 8088 cpu would be enough for either game.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Haven't played a computer game in ages.... You guys are way ahead of me . Threadripper 2990WX 'should' be able to handle both your 'game loads' .

Haven't played a computer game in ages.... You guys are way ahead of me . Threadripper 2990WX 'should' be able to handle both your 'game loads' .
    That was of course a joke on my part, I have an extensive and ever growing collection of games but have yet to find one that my gaming system can't handle with ease at highest quality settings. What I want is to be able to ditch Windows and run them all through Linux eventually. Certain titles won't work because they are copy protected via their delivery platforms which do not support Linux yet.

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Gotcha. Ever since college, the electronic 'game' (arcade) portion of my brain ramped down. Played a bit with the kids when they were into it, say racing cars around a track and such . Of course the Zork series and Myst had to be solved. But after they left the nest, that was that. To much other hobbies and responsibilities to fill time. Still play games occasionally of course... but they are across the table, like Cribbage, Chess, Rook, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast