ryzen 2700x at a bargain price for black friday
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

ryzen 2700x at a bargain price for black friday

Amazon price 420. Cdn USA 365.00
    Newegg price 319 Cdn USA 239.00 Cdn $ =.75 of US $

I will use the savings to purchase ram,etc.

It also suggests (the price drop) that a new Ryzen series of CPUs are coming. Ones that may be up to 15% faster. A ryzen 3 2700x that could be 15% faster than the ryzen 2 2700x
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 26th November 2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.102

Re: ryzen 2700x at a bargain price for black friday

there are indeed new Ryzen products coming but not before 2019. The AM4 ones will be numbered 3000 series with codenames Matisse and Picasso

since you aren't actually requiring hardware support I've moved this over to Wibble

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    there are indeed new Ryzen products coming but not before 2019. The AM4 ones will be numbered 3000 series with codenames Matisse and Picasso

since you aren't actually requiring hardware support I've moved this over to Wibble
    Hi Antikythera
    Its November, in 1.5 months it will be 2019. Then I can say "Yes, I am buying "last year's 2700x model"". But for what i do, it will not matter to me as I am not a super gamer. My games are on my cellphone (word scramble mainly, Freecell is another).

Why I want the 2700x. To be able to run VM, KVM, and as well, I intend to master javascript so I can write a gnome extension or two. Ditto for C++ and QT, I also want to do some KDE programming stuff that I have in mind.
    Leslie in Montreal

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

I'm fully aware of that, you were the one that mentioned newer Ryzens possibly being released soon. Anyhow, they won't be available straight away. I understand the next generation of Ryzen to be coming available nearer the 2nd or 3rd Quarter of 2019 at the earliest. Larger OEMs may offer new systems with them a little sooner.

Anyhow, I hope your 2700X meets your expectations and lasts you for a decade or so, but at the same time keep in mind you should be very careful selecting your other components now so that they won't cause a performance bottleneck or you won't be accessing the full potential of the 2700X.

Linux Firefox 63.0

I am, because of being patient, waiting for the next deals. My next acquisitions are for the MB and ram, followed by the graphics card and new PowerSupply. I have the $$$ but feel we are being taken advantage of.

There will usually be bargains in January (post Christmas sales), and I will look to complete my system then. If I find deals to make hardware acquisition occur sooner, I will have a great end December Holiday.
    Leslie in Montreal

It's Cyber Monday so you may find something else today.

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Why I want the 2700x. To be able to run VM, KVM, and as well, I intend to master javascript so I can write a gnome extension or two. Ditto for C++ and QT, I also want to do some KDE programming stuff that I have in mind.
    Well, you'll certainly have more than enough horse power for those tasks! Even on my R5 2600 based system, VMs are very quick to load and use, even with a several of them up at the same time. I also found loading/using a VM from a SSD helps a lot in 'snappiness' (is that a word?). I had my Fedora 27 and Fedora 28 VMs open (host system is Ubuntu 18.04 LXDE) during my lunch break today to get latest updates on them. Zing... As for the programming projects, it looks like, the system will only be slightly 'distracted' with your efforts .

One thing, I'll mention is buying 'piece-meal', your 30 days for return will be up, in case you have a bad part or two.
    Last edited by rclark; 26th November 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Hi RC
    I saved around$50 for the CPU. That was around 15%. I estimate that my balance of hardware will cost another 1200$ and I want 15% back.

BTW, what graphics card did you select for your setup?
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

I went with a Nvidia 1050 Ti (middle of the road). Not a gamer, so it works just fine for what I do. It is connected to a 4K monitor and no problems noted.

BTW, yesterday my new Brother MFC-J995DW 'tank' printer showed up. Supposed to have ink for a 'year'... We'll see. Brother has a nifty script you download from there site, and it downloads and installs the needed Linux drivers for you. In just a few minutes I was printing from LUbuntu and Mint. Worked like a charm. Printer has WiFi, Hardwire, and USB connections. I set it up as Hard-wired ethernet. We were getting tired of making runs for 'expensive' ink! We've had good luck with Brother printers (laser and inkjet) compared to the Epson and HPs we had, so thought we'd give their tank printer a try!
    Last edited by rclark; 1st December 2018 at 03:28 AM.

I use a brothers HL2270dn printer (recto-verso) Laser. I had the previous non-recto verso model for years. A cartridge lasts me a long time, as I only print about a dozen pages per month.
    I often print pages from pdf's so I can read them and yellow mark them up. I wish I could do yellow marking for the electronic pdfs or e-books.
    Cheers and thanks for the heads-up about the graphics card.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

My laser is a MFC-L2740DW. I've went through two cartridges since I got it. I originally got it because I wanted to try out a method I read about, to mask a PCB for etching.... But has not happened ... yet. Meanwhile I really like it for B/W printing tasks (manuals, articles, , plane tickets, etc.). Still need the color one though for a few picture prints, color scanning, and such.

My splurge was on a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD 2.5" SATA form factor, I got it for 116.98 including tax, shipping was free. That has replaced the WD Blue drive in my gaming rig which I used for further Steam Games storage and User Documents. my 500GB nvme is 75% used with the OS, programs and newer more demanding triple A games that weigh in around 50GB in size each.

I also got some half price BOSE QuietComfort headphones for my better half for Christmas

The 1050Ti is a very capable card indeed. However, you could probably get away with a GT1030 if not gaming, that too will output at maximum 7680x4320 resolution and has 3 outputs, DP, HDMI and DVI. I've fallen out of touch with AMD graphics cards as I rarely fit them for customers either. All people request even for windows these days is NVIDIA hardware and for good reason. That reason being, AMD are lagging behind with regards both performance and power efficiency. They need to renew their line up properly instead of re-badging the same 2016 hardware with a small voltage and frequency tweak. Even their top of the range RX Vega range isn't able to compete with anything above a standard NVIDIA GTX1080.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

Cool! I am sure you're enjoying the 'speed' difference. I wish the SSD could compete price-wise with the HDD, but technology isn't there yet! I backup around 1.7TB of data off my server's 3TB HDD, so it is still much cheaper to go HDD for that use! However, for the smaller OS/Application drive ... an affordable SSD works beautifully! It's really a no brainer whether SSD SATA or M.2 ...

Now if 'only' DDR4 Memory prices would come down to reasonable levels...
    Last edited by rclark; 1st December 2018 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Now if 'only' DDR4 Memory prices would come down to reasonable levels...
    indeed ddr4 is price managed by the manufacturers though so it's highly unlikely. they deliberately control how many sticks are produced to keep the prices at high levels through limiting stock in the channel the retailers can buy. it prevents them buying bulk and selling them cheaper.

SATA SSD are falling in price all the time, it's possible to pick up a 250GB one for around 30 now, a mere fraction of the cost they were 2 years ago. I think in the next couple of years the prices will be more competitive still per GB with HDD.

the nvme is a samsung evo 970 I bought in a game launch promotion (it cost me the same as the MX500 and included a digital download copy of Assassin's Creed Origins through uPlay) and that one is ridiculously fast, it exceeds the manufacturers quoted performance figures in my system

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

nvme is a samsung evo 970
    Cool! I have the 250GB 970 in mine. Truthfully I can't tell much difference from the previous SATA SSD that was in the system before. Should be faster, but I have no way of comparing. I mean boot time seems same, apps pullup time seems the same. You know, nothing 'obvious' like going from HDD to SSD was. SSD prices are falling, but not quite in the ballpark yet. I just bought my yearly off-site backup external HDD drive (4TB) for $112. Just did a search on newegg and for a 4TB external SSD looking at around $1000. Not there yet!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast