[SOLVED] Cannot Start Fedora Live USB
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Unhappy Cannot Start Fedora Live USB

Hi!
    I just received my new laptop, a HP Spectre x360 df0709nz.

Sadly, I cannot even start the Fedora 29 Live-USB. Probably because the hardware is so new. The CPU is of the latest Whiseky Lake generation.

This is what I see:

Code:
    [    6.026025] dracut-pre-pivot[859]: Nov 16 15:25:11 | /etc/multipath.conf does not exist, blacklisting all devices.
    [    6.026162] dracut-pre-pivot[859]: Nov 16 15:25:11 | You can run "/sbin/mpathconf --enable" to create
    [    6.026232] dracut-pre-pivot[859]: Nov 16 15:25:11 | /etc/multipath.conf. See man mpathconf(8) for more details
    [     OK     ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
    [     OK     ] Started Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.
    ... and there it just hangs.

Can anyone help me?

Best, FatTony

Re: Cannot Start Fedora Live USB

I see that it uses nvidia graphics so might be a Nouveau driver issue. You could try nouveau.modeset=0 in grub with noquiet norhgb optional as a first step in grub. rdblacklist=nouveau if that fails.
    Last edited by hogweed; 16th November 2018 at 04:01 PM.

Exclamation Re: Cannot Start Fedora Live USB

Quote Originally Posted by hogweed
    I see that it uses nvidia graphics so might be a Nouveau driver issue. You could try nouveau.modeset=0 in grub with noquiet norhgb optional as a first step in grub. rdblacklist=nouveau if that fails.
    Thanks for the hints. I tried all combinations and it didn't work. With noquiet, I get more logs:

Code:
    [     OK     ] Started Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.
    [    9.221291] input: HP Wireless hotkeys as /devices/virtual/input/input4
    [    9.239597] acpi PNP0C14:04: duplicate WMI GUID 05901221-D566-11D1-B2F0-00A0C9062910 (first instance was on PNP0C14:03)
    [    9.240245] acpi PNP0C14:05: duplicate WMI GUID 05901221-D566-11D1-B2F0-00A0C9062910 (first instance was on PNP0C14:03)
    [    9.272548] input: Intel HID events as /devices/platform/INT33
    [    9.272954] input-hid INT33D5:00: platform supports 5 button array
    [    9.273330] input: Intel HID 5 button array as /devices/platform/INT33D5:00/input/input6
    [    9.312509] intel-lpss 0000:00:15.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
    What might be the problem?

Linux Firefox 60.0

Is there an option (perhaps in a help or repair sub menu) to start it in graphics mode?
    If so, what happens when you choose it?
    Change - the only constant.

Exclamation Re: Cannot Start Fedora Live USB

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    Is there an option (perhaps in a help or repair sub menu) to start it in graphics mode?
    If so, what happens when you choose it?
    You mean "basic graphics mode"? I tried it, it makes no difference.

Linux Firefox 60.0

Sorry - I was hoping ...
    Change - the only constant.

Linux Firefox 52.0

The live USB only has the open source Nouveau driver. If you blacklist it then you have no driver for the display. Are you assuming that another driver such as vesa will take over in the Anaconda environment ? You normally only blacklist nouveau if you are trying to use the NVidia binary driver and avoid conflicts.

If you are suggesting that Nouveau somehow won't work because the hardware is too new then you would have to provide instructions on how to install the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    The live USB only has the open source Nouveau driver. If you blacklist it then you have no driver for the display. Are you assuming that another driver such as vesa will take over in the Anaconda environment ? You normally only blacklist nouveau if you are trying to use the NVidia binary driver and avoid conflicts.

If you are suggesting that Nouveau somehow won't work because the hardware is too new then you would have to provide instructions on how to install the Nvidia proprietary driver.
    I totally failed to take in that it was a live usb at first even though it was clearly stated. I think I must have read it as an install from live USB and lost the plot :-)
    Last edited by hogweed; 17th November 2018 at 09:56 PM.

Unknown Firefox 64.0

Do you think it's the graphics driver? How do you know? How to narrow it down?

What is this device:
    Code:
    intel-lpss 0000:00:15.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)

Linux Pale Moon 28.2.1

If it's a video driver problem, it's possible to try an anaconda boot option which will use the vesa driver:
    Here is a quote from my notes when using this successfully on f18:
    If your system has a graphical display, but graphical installation fails, try booting with the xdriver=vesa option
    It's from:
    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...imode-x86.html

I haven't had to do this since then, so can't say if it's still valid. Anaconda itself has changed a bit since then.

Linux Pale Moon 28.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by nsnbm
    If it's a video driver problem, it's possible to try an anaconda boot option which will use the vesa driver:
    Here is a quote from my notes when using this successfully on f18:

It's from:
    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...imode-x86.html

I haven't had to do this since then, so can't say if it's still valid. Anaconda itself has changed a bit since then.
    Edit:

Actually, if the live fedora won't boot up, then the suggestion here can't be applied. In that case I would see if a rescue disk like systemrescuecd would boot ... and if it did, get a rundown of the hardware, and if you can get online with that disk, check out to see if there is some experience with it from others.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.102

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    Do you think it's the graphics driver? How do you know? How to narrow it down?

What is this device:
    Code:
    intel-lpss 0000:00:15.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
    intel low power subsystem support which incidentally for linux kernel is maintained by Linus Torvalds himself. is that what it appears to be getting stuck on? if so it's clearly not GPU related

try adding acpi=off and if that doesn't work noapic to the bootup command line before rhgb quiet

Red face Re: Cannot Start Fedora Live USB

YES! IT WORKED!
    Adding noapic before noquiet/quiet did the trick!
    #EDIT: Side-note: nouveau.modeset=0 makes the system more stable as long as nouveau drivers are running the show.

I could install Fedora. Nvidia drivers work, as do wifi/bluetooth/sound/camera. (To get nvidia drivers working, I had to disable secureboot in BIOS.) However, the touchscreen and the touchpad don't work. Also, I can only boot with the noapic-option.

I don't quite get what APIC is, but it might be related to the other issues, correct? How can I get useful logs to debug the problem?
    Last edited by FatTony; 19th November 2018 at 10:49 PM.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

APIC is a form of power management, I don't know about the touchscreen issues though. Is there a toggle button for the touchpad or a combination of Fn and one of the F number Keys?

Linux Firefox 52.0

APIC is a form of power management
    https://access.redhat.com/solutions/58790

It is ACPI that relates to power management. APIC is something else relating to interrupt controllers.

Code:
    ACPI

ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It is the system that controls hardware actions such as the dynamic speed fans, the power button behavior, system sleep states, and helps to identify some system capabilities.

APIC

APIC stands for Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller.

APIC is the replacement for the old PIC chip that, in the past, was embedded on motherboards and allowed the configuration of interrupts for peripherals like soundcards, IDE controllers, sharing/redirecting of interrupts. Disabling APIC removes the ability to make use of IRQ sharing or device IRQ remapping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast