OT(?): SSD disk prices have dropped? - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Re: OT(?): SSD disk prices have dropped?

In my computer "/boot/efi - /boot end / " are on SSD. In Hard disk I have put "/ home" partition, so Swap too if you needed one.
    For SSD life if better i/o access are minimal.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

That's a good way to setup your system OS on SSD (/), and (/home) on HDD if you only have the one computer. What is nice, is you can wipe the SSD and lay down a new OS. Once satisfied and users are added, then just remap the HDD back to /home. Off and running again with all your user settings intact plus any data that is stored on /home. Some times there may be some cleanup for display settings if new version of GUI, or if you mess up the user id, but that's minor stuff compared to setting everything back up ... Email is there, Firefox settings are there, etc.

Since I have a home server now, I just have went to one SSD for / in some machines. Periodically I rsync /home to the server. Therefore I still have the same capability as the two drive system. My 'data' of course is on the server. So I don't need as much 'local' storage.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    That's a good way to setup your system OS on SSD (/), and (/home) on HDD if you only have the one computer. What is nice, is you can wipe the SSD and lay down a new OS. Once satisfied and users are added, then just remap the HDD back to /home. Off and running again with all your user settings intact plus any data that is stored on /home. Some times there may be some cleanup for display settings if new version of GUI, or if you mess up the user id, but that's minor stuff compared to setting everything back up ... Email is there, Firefox settings are there, etc.

Since I have a home server now, I just have went to one SSD for / in some machines. Periodically I rsync /home to the server. Therefore I still have the same capability as the two drive system. My 'data' of course is on the server. So I don't need as much 'local' storage.

Hi RC,
    Taking advantage of SSD's.
    I do not as yet run a server. However this is what I have done for my desktop. From the desktop I am providing the two displays below, as a picture is better than a thousand words.

I have a 1 terrabyte spinner drive at /dev/sde which I labeled scratch. My desktop system has other Linux distributions. I want some common files to be shared on the /scratch.
    I make use of soft links, for example, I migrated all the $HOME directories to /scratch/leslie, rmdir'd them and used a soft link to their relocated location. "rmdir $HOME/bin; ln -s /scratch/leslie/bin $HOME/bin"
    my $HOME looks like
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   19 Nov 29 12:24  bin -> /scratch/leslie/bin
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   31 Nov 29 12:30 'Calibre Library' -> '/scratch/leslie/Calibre Library'
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   23 Nov 29 12:24  Desktop -> /scratch/leslie/Desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   14 Nov 29 12:23  Development -> /scratch/Devel
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   25 Nov 29 12:24  Documents -> /scratch/leslie/Documents
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   25 Nov 29 12:24  Downloads -> /scratch/leslie/Downloads
    drwx------. 6 leslie leslie 4096 Sep 24 19:14  Dropbox
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   21 Nov 29 12:24  Music -> /scratch/leslie/Music
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   24 Nov 29 12:24  Pictures -> /scratch/leslie/Pictures
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   22 Nov 29 12:24  Public -> /scratch/leslie/Public
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   24 Nov 29 12:28  rpmbuild -> /scratch/leslie/rpmbuild
    -rwxr-xr-x. 1 leslie leslie 2078 Nov 29 12:24  taskbar.dconf
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   25 Nov 29 12:24  Templates -> /scratch/leslie/Templates
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   22 Nov 29 12:24  Videos -> /scratch/leslie/Videos

All the hidden dot files remain on the $HOME along with the two shown in bold.

/dev/sda =is my 500g SSD.
    From my research, following recommendations I configured the SSD as shown below:
    I assigned root (/) to an xfs partition of 30gigs. All the others, are formatted ext4 Most importantly /var is set to a separate 30gigs partition.
    This is the rationale.
    a) /var is the busiest partition of the lot. (local tmp, logs, journals, etc). I have a separate /var because I want to run "/" formatted as xfs.
    b) root(/) is mostly read-only and I want fast access.

Tests show that for retrieval and updates, xfs partitions outperform an ext4 formatted partition of the same size. As it is used, the xfs fragments and occasionally needs a defrag. Linux does that for me automatically.
    Above is an image of my /etc/fstab. I have a common drive /scratch (1 Tb) and on it I have migrated the visible $HOME files to it. except for dropbox

Code:
    #					SDA
    # /etc/fstab
    # Created by anaconda on Fri Nov 23 09:28:13 2018
     #<file system>                                <mount>    <type>  <options>                  <dmp fsck> <xref>      <label or   uuid>
    PARTUUID=eef599d0-9b23-4187-a9a7-29cd8ef8c81e /          xfs     defaults,noatime             0  0     #/dev/sda1   sda1slash
    UUID=33efc187-e2cb-4e36-ac25-fc5c7223e1e3     /backup    ext4    defaults,noatime,noauto,user 1  2     #/dev/sde2   sde2backup
    /dev/sda5                                     /boot      ext4    defaults,noatime             1  2     #sda5boot    f26fc58b-3b27-4135-a094-d7102a6ff8a4
    UUID=fd2665e1-2620-4215-b1e7-06c1f6dd869f     /home      ext4    defaults,noatime             1  2     #/dev/sda8   sda8home
    UUID=9ea9424e-6ef5-42ec-8582-02684664923a     /junk      ext4    defaults,noatime,noauto,user 1  2     #/dev/sde10  sde10junk
    UUID=7a3c702b-f021-49d1-944a-885480cca5c0     /scratch   ext4    defaults,noatime             1  2     #/dev/sda3   sda3scratch
    UUID=2833efb4-05f1-4183-935f-38e620eb85de     /scratch1  ext4    defaults,noatime,noauto,user 1  2     #/dev/sde1   sde1Scratch
    UUID=0463d52d-54e7-46e8-8cc3-7b9fb4eb3990     /var       ext4    defaults,noatime             1  2     #/dev/sda6   sda6var
    UUID=dc4e691c-5245-4283-9a1e-74983d4180d9     none       swap    defaults,noatime             0  0     #/dev/sda7   sda7swap
    My desktop is an older slow system, so I do like to keep it performing well. I just let linux do it's scheduled file system checks.
    I am wondering about Linux's SSD's I/O schedular. Being entirely electronic, with no seek delays, is there any point in organizing R/W accesses into "track order" sequences? FIFO would do just fine.

Short summary, covering past comments for this topic.
    a) I put / onto a xfs formatted partition
    b) Use a separate /var partition
    c) All non root partitions are on ext4 formatted partions.
    d) Since owning an SSD and following the above organization, I have "never" encountered any issues in running multiple distributions on other disks located on this same system.

Oh,, By the way,
    /junk is for stuff that I get that one day I hope to look at. /Download is where I download stuff I want to keep.
    /scratch1 is a nightly mirror image of /scratch To prevent accidental writing to /scratch1, /backup1 and /junk until I really want to do it, they are mounted with the "user,noauto" option.
    /backup includes /home and /scratch
    I also have an external backup that I run on the last day of the month.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 9th December 2018 at 05:20 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2