[SOLVED] "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" using rmfusion packaged nVidia driver
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong" using rmfusion packaged nVidia driver

In another thread I talked about using the nVidia display drivers directly from nVidia. I was ridiculed for this, being told that the packaged drivers are the only supported method. Great!!! It would be even better if they worked.

Today I decided to try them again. It's been several years. The last time I tried, I had to recover with a complete reformat of the hard drive. Let's hope that is not required this time.

The system is Fedora 29 with all patches except the very most recent kernel. It is an i5 processor, 16gb memory and an nVidia GT710 display card. I was running the 390.87 driver straight from nVidia's web site.

I booted the system to runmode 3, then ran nVidia's driver with the "--uninstall" option. From there I followed instructions on this page:

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

Yes, I rebooted after the uninstall tasks were complete, back to runmode 3. I installed the packaged drivers from the rpmfusion repository. No errors were reported. At reboot the system ran the akmod build routine, then tried to start the X server. That's when it throws the "Oh No" message. I can hit Enter, then alt-F2 to get to a regular character mode screen.

I ran nvidia-bug-report.sh and it collected a .gz file. Where do I send that file?

Here are the last few lines from Xorg.0.log:

Code:
    [    84.385] (**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
    [    84.385] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
    [    84.385] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
    [    84.386] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
    [    84.386] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: device is a pointer
    [    84.386] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: device removed
    [    84.386] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input4/event3"
    [    84.386] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse" (type: MOUSE, id 13)
    [    84.386] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
    [    84.386] (**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: (accel) selected scheme none/0
    [    84.386] (**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [    84.386] (**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    [    84.387] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
    [    84.387] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: device is a pointer
    [    84.387] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
    [    84.387] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [    84.387] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [   688.572] (**) Option "fd" "39"
    [   688.572] (II) event1  - Power Button: device removed
    [   688.572] (**) Option "fd" "42"
    [   688.572] (II) event0  - Power Button: device removed
    [   688.572] (**) Option "fd" "43"
    [   688.572] (II) event4  - Logitech Logitech USB Headset: device removed
    [   688.573] (**) Option "fd" "44"
    [   688.573] (II) event5  - OKE Electron Company OKE PS2-USB V1.61: device removed
    [   688.573] (**) Option "fd" "45"
    [   688.573] (II) event6  - HID 04b3:3107: device removed
    [   688.573] (**) Option "fd" "46"
    [   688.573] (II) event17 - USB 2.0 PC Camera: PC Camera: device removed
    [   688.573] (**) Option "fd" "47"
    [   688.573] (II) event2  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
    [   688.573] (**) Option "fd" "48"
    [   688.573] (II) event3  - ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: device removed
    [   688.609] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.609] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:67
    [   688.625] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.625] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:66
    [   688.636] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.636] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:81
    [   688.656] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.656] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:70
    [   688.677] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.677] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:69
    [   688.700] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.700] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:68
    [   688.712] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.712] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:64
    [   688.724] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
    [   688.724] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:65
    [   689.227] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Deleting GPU-0
    [   689.229] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
    The system is my main workstation. It MUST MUST be running! I am going to try to switch it back to the nVidia native driver and hope it works. I cannot wait for response from this forum ... the system must be back up in an hour or two.

Bill Gee

Re: "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" using rmfusion packaged nVidia driver

The "Oh No!" message is generated by Gnome, not X. But that's not really helpful.

FWIW, I've found running "--uninstall" with Nvidia's packaged driver does not necessarily clean out everything.

I switched to AMD cards after having my fill of Nvidia issues. The more changes applied to a system -- and a Fedora system changes a lot via updates -- the greater the chance a new kernel or a new driver may break things. They are developed out of sync with each other. A distribution that does not upgrade kernels or drivers over the lifetime of a release, e.g., Debian Stable or an Ubuntu LTS, is a better bet for Nvidia.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

CrazyCaver you must have skipped or not read down that far to the Wayland section of the HOWTO on the rpmfusion site. you need to disable Wayland for GDM and use Xorg for the desktop session as well

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA#Wayland

Hmmm.....

/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/64-gdm.rules does not exist.

/etc/gdm/custom.conf does exist, and the Wayland line is not commented. But I have three questions: First - I never consciously used Wayland. That is why I ignored that section of the document. Second - Why does it work with nVidia's native driver? I am under the impression that the rpmfusion packages and the nVidia native driver are the same binaries. Only the packaging is different. And third - Why don't the rpmfusion packages include scripts to do this?

Joncr - I have considered switching to AMD cards. However, from everything I have read they have just as many problems as nVidia. The only display adapters that seem to "just work" are Intel. My laptop has an Intel display adapter and has NEVER given me any issues. It just works. Also, switching cards costs $$! NVidia cards are the devil I know, the koolaid I have chosen.

Bill Gee

[I am under the impression that the rpmfusion packages and the nVidia native driver are the same binaries
    Wayland is the default display server protocol for Fedora Workstation and has been for a couple of releases. This does of course trip up people with NVIDIA hardware unfortunately as NVIDIA insist on using their own proprietary technologies and rendering methods. With AMD and Intel this is not the case, they are fully compliant with the standard Wayland setup.

there is no native nvidia driver. in an ideal world nouveau and the proprietary nvidia drivers would be similar binaries but it is simply not the case. nvidia are not involved in the development of nouveau drivers, instead they are written by independent linux users for linux users. that is how in essence nouveau supports Wayland while nvidia's own driver is more problematic to get working.

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FAQ/#index7h3

as for why rpmfusion drivers do not include scripts, you'd have to ask the maintainers. however as far as I'm aware the main contributor is not a GNOME user but instead uses and maintains Cinnamon for Fedora Project. Cinnamon uses a different greeter and Xorg by default.

I always install Xfce Spin, and I am happy with NVIDIA. I stopped using Gnome 10 years ago when they went into dictator mode.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

The terminology for describing the various nVidia driver packages is not clear. I probably did not help any ...

When I say "native driver" I am referring to the .run file that is downloaded directly from nVidia's web site. My understanding is that the rpmfusion packages start with the driver straight from nVidia. They then repackage it into an RPM file and post on rpmfusion. The term "proprietary driver" therefore covers both packages since the binary content is identical. Only the packaging changes.

Assuming that is true, then my question still stands. Why does the native driver packaging work and the rpmfusion packaging does not?

Once bitten, twice shy. I got bit really hard a few years ago. Last night could have been a similar disaster. Fortunately the native nVidia package installed and works, and my system is back to being usable.

Bobx001 - I also do not use Gnome, though it is installed because a couple of my applications require the GTK libraries (Gramps, for one). I am a KDE person, which may not be an advantage! It is probably a matter of which koolaid you choose to drink. It seems, though, that Gnome controls the login screen no matter what desktop environment you actually use. That point was not clear to me until a few days ago.

Bill Gee

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCaver
    The terminology for describing the various nVidia driver packages is not clear. I probably did not help any ...

Assuming that is true, then my question still stands. Why does the native driver packaging work and the rpmfusion packaging does not?
    Bill Gee
    If you've found something which you believe is a mistake in the rpm fusion package (but behaviour is correct with nvidia direct version) then I'd strongly encourage you to report it at https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/

yep in that case i'd encourage you to do what hogweed said

With a new kernel and a new version of nVidia's driver (410.78) I decided to give this yet another try. Short version - I got it to work, though I am not sure it had anything to do with the new kernel and driver. I think the instructions at RPMFusion need a tweak.

I started with the system on Fedora 29 with kernel 4.18.16 and the proprietary nVidia binary driver version 396.24. This is what I reverted to after the last failure. I followed instructions at https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA for uninstalling the nVidia binary driver and its detritus. I also upgraded to 4.19.4 kernel along with anything else that dnf wanted to upgrade.

I think the critical step is modification of the udev rules. The RPMFusion site says to look at /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/64-gdm.rules. That file does not exist on my system. This time I did a search for "nvidia" in all .rules files. I found the line they discuss in 61-gdm.rules. I commented it out and then ran the rest of the instructions.

This time the system booted correctly into a graphical login screen.

The next step is to get VDPAU to working. That might be a new thread. Here is what I get from vdpauinfo and vainfo:

Code:
    [root@main2 /]# vdpauinfo
    display: :0   screen: 0
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Error creating VDPAU device: 1
    [root@main2 /]# vainfo
    libva info: VA-API version 1.3.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_2
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Floating point exception (core dumped)
    [root@main2 /]#
    The entire reason I do not use nouveau is because I need accelerated MPEG3 decoding, and that required VDPAU. As far as I can tell, vdpau IS installed.

Code:
    [root@main2 /]# rpm -qa | grep -i vdpau
    vdpauinfo-1.0-10.fc29.x86_64
    libvdpau-1.1.1-10.fc29.i686
    libva-vdpau-driver-0.7.4-22.fc29.x86_64
    libvdpau-1.1.1-10.fc29.x86_64
    [root@main2 /]#
    Bill Gee

The next step is to get VDPAU to working...

Code:
    [root@main2 /]# rpm -qa | grep -i vdpau
    vdpauinfo-1.0-10.fc29.x86_64
    libvdpau-1.1.1-10.fc29.i686
    libva-vdpau-driver-0.7.4-22.fc29.x86_64
    libvdpau-1.1.1-10.fc29.x86_64
    You need libvdpau-va-gl package.

Use dnf list \*vdpau\* to see if any other related packages are needed.

I've never had issue with rpmfusion akmod nvidia driver packages (both newest nvidia and nvidia-390xx).

akmod is pretty useful when rpmfusion doesn't provide the updated driver in time when main repo has a newer kernel, since akmod will update the driver to match the new kernel. I even created my own akmod for other drivers likd r8168 network driver so the network is always automatically re-compiled and working after kernel update, although nowadays I don't use it since Fedora 27 and above now includes the driver in the kernel.

Hi osce0 -

As it happens, I found a solution to the vdpau problem a couple of days ago. It was related to symbolic links in the /usr/lib64/dri directory. That directory contains symbolic links to the real nvidia drivers. Those symbolic links were wrong. They pointed to files that no longer exist. I cleaned out the bad links, then created fresh links pointing to the right files. Vainfo and vdpauinfo both return full information now.

I do not have the libvdpau-va-gl package installed. As long as vainfo reports the right stuff - and vlc and mythtv both work - then what do I need it for? The description from "dnf info" is terse. I don't care if it uses an OpenGL backend. All I want is MPEG3 decoding in hardware.

Bill Gee

...It was related to symbolic links in the /usr/lib64/dri directory...

I do not have the libvdpau-va-gl package installed. As long as vainfo reports the right stuff - and vlc and mythtv both work - then what do I need it for?
    Bill Gee
    I am guessing the broken symlinks are due to your earlier install of proprietary driver and subsequent removal that didn't quite clean up things. Another good reason why you shouldn't install the proprietary driver directly in the first place.

As for libvdpau-va-gl, I just saw your error message for vainfo, so just posted a possible solution. I have no idea what vainfo does with the library either, but hope that it at least resolves the error.

I do get that proprietary nvidia is a pain in the xxx, but Fedora or Linux or rpmfusion is not primarily to blame. Let's just hope the proprietary vendors play well with Linux community. I am just glad I can now play many of the top-rated games natively in Linux in 4K fullscreen. For me, gaming was the last thing lacking in Linux desktop, and these video drivers make it happen.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Quote Originally Posted by osce0
    I am guessing the broken symlinks are due to your earlier install of proprietary driver and subsequent removal that didn't quite clean up things. Another good reason why you shouldn't install the proprietary driver directly in the first place.

As for libvdpau-va-gl, I just saw your error message for vainfo, so just posted a possible solution. I have no idea what vainfo does with the library either, but hope that it at least resolves the error.

I do get that proprietary nvidia is a pain in the xxx, but Fedora or Linux or rpmfusion is not primarily to blame. Let's just hope the proprietary vendors play well with Linux community. I am just glad I can now play many of the top-rated games natively in Linux in 4K fullscreen. For me, gaming was the last thing lacking in Linux desktop, and these video drivers make it happen.
    i'm guessing the damaged symlinks are due to your earlier deploy of proprietary driving force and subsequent removal that did not quite clean up things. every other proper motive why you shouldn't set up the proprietary driving force directly in the first vicinity.

As for libvdpau-va-gl, I just saw your blunders message for vainfo, so just posted a likely solution. I have no concept what vainfo does with the library both, however hope that it as a minimum resolves the error.

I do get that proprietary nvidia is a ache within the xxx, but Fedora or Linux or rpmfusion isn't always by and large in charge. let's simply desire the proprietary companies play properly with Linux network. i'm just glad i'm able to now play among the top-rated video games natively in Linux in 4K fullscreen. For me, gaming became the final issue lacking in Linux laptop, and these video drivers make it appear.