Hibernate not working after upgrade from 28 to 29, Dell XPS 13 9365
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Hibernate not working after upgrade from 28 to 29, Dell XPS 13 9365

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9365) and I'm trying to get hibernation working. I had it working on Fedora 28. I could run systemctl hibernate, and the system state would be written to the swap partition and restored at the next boot. After upgrading to Fedora 29, when I try to run systemctl hibernate, it fails and prints an error message
    Code:
    Failed to hibernate system via logind: Resume not configured, can't hibernate
    I don't understand this. I never saw this particular message on Fedora 28. Searching the web for it turned up nothing.
    My /etc/default/grub includes GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/fedora-swap..." and that option does show up in /proc/cmdline.
    /etc/fstab includes /dev/mapper/fedora-swap swap swap defaults 0 0 and the swap partition is being used. So as far as I can tell, hibernate and resume are configured. Secure boot is disabled in the BIOS.

Does anyone know what this message means and how to fix hibernation?

Linux Firefox 63.0

Re: Hibernate not working after upgrade from 28 to 29, Dell XPS 13 9365

Yes to your question!

During your upgrade, you may have reformatted a swap partition. In so doing it's UUID value has changed.
    Check you disks, do you have more than one swap partition?

Check /etc/fstab to determine which swap partition id is used.
    Check /etc/default/grub to determine the value of resume=UUID= That value will be used by grub to identify the resume partition.

set the resume=UUID= to that other unused swap partition, or create a second swap partition of equal size.
    Set that new UUID value into the resume=UUID= and follow up with grub2-mkconfig to recreate the grub.cfg file. My system predates UEFI so I use grub2-mkconfig /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

The grub.cfg picks up the resume=UUID= from /etc/default/grub.

Alternatively, edit the grub.cfg and overwrite the resume=UUID= in the menus for your system with that second swapfile's UUID value
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 68.0.3440.106

Same problem here. UUID of swap did not change during upgrade (nor did it during previous F27-->F28 upgrade of same system). Appears that it may be a systemd problem(?); downgrading systemd appears to have restored hibernate functionality (see this thread: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1645870 -- comment 10 shows command to downgrade systemd).

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    I have a Dell XPS 13 (9365) and I'm trying to get hibernation working. I had it working on Fedora 28. I could run systemctl hibernate, and the system state would be written to the swap partition and restored at the next boot. After upgrading to Fedora 29, when I try to run systemctl hibernate, it fails and prints an error message
    Code:
    Failed to hibernate system via logind: Resume not configured, can't hibernate
    I don't understand this. I never saw this particular message on Fedora 28. Searching the web for it turned up nothing.
    My /etc/default/grub includes GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/fedora-swap..." and that option does show up in /proc/cmdline.
    /etc/fstab includes /dev/mapper/fedora-swap swap swap defaults 0 0 and the swap partition is being used. So as far as I can tell, hibernate and resume are configured. Secure boot is disabled in the BIOS.

Does anyone know what this message means and how to fix hibernation?

Mine also was not a UUID mismatch -- I referred to the swap partition by /dev item. Downgrading systemd seems to have made it work. The bugzilla report mentioned that a fix is in the works, and it looks like the next update to systemd will include it.

execute as root:
    Code:
    blkid
    in my case i never use LVM, so I get:
    Code:
    /dev/nvme0n1p1: UUID="d6b23b82-201f-4d7f-a76e-17a259779a5a" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="6e186d07-01"
    change your /etc/default/grub to contain: resume=UUID=**your UUID here** instead of /dev/mapper......

I reckon the LVM is a half-thought out system whereas it always hits against some chicken-egg scenarios. It bit me in the a** once too many times , so I never ever use it, and never will.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 56.2.5

hibernate fails since I'm using fedora, ie. F25, without any message, just rebooting after restart However 'hibernate suspend' works, what is OK for me.