BrosTrend ac1200 wifi adapter working in Fedora 29
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

BrosTrend ac1200 wifi adapter working in Fedora 29

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post and I am so happy that it is something that I solved on my own! However I am not sure how I did it. I am new to Fedora, not Linux, I have used Ubuntu mostly.

I am not a complete newbie, my google fu is pretty strong when it comes to linux.

I was trying to get the Brostrend wifi adapter working in linux and struggled for a few hours with commands and such, git repos and all.
    I did something that got it to work.
    However I can't get the dkms to work so it will recompile when I upgrade the kernel.

The driver works so far.

I have the bash commands saved if anyone wants to see them. too long to post here.

But almost there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: BrosTrend ac1200 wifi adapter working in Fedora 29

Ok, so now it does work, but now everytime I reboot the adapter is not recognized and I have to cd into the folder for rlt8812au and then sudo modprobe 8812au, then poof it works. I am sure it has something to do with dkms. Thank you all in advance.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Re: BrosTrend ac1200 wifi adapter working in Fedora 29

Ok, so now it does work, but now every time I reboot the adapter is not recognized and I have to cd into the folder for rlt8812au and then sudo modprobe 8812au, then poof it works.
    It could be that the driver was compiled into a non-standard location for kernel modules and the system can't find it at startup. You didn't mention if this was a USB adaptor or a PCIe card as you never mentioned if you have a laptop or desktop. In either case if the hardware is recognized there is an index of drivers for usb ids or pcie ids. The system may try to load the rlt8812au driver from standard locations such as /lib/modules/`uname -r`. Check your boot logs with journalctl and search for BrosTrend, ac1200, and flt8812au. If your hardware device matches to a line in modules.alias and your system can't find the driver the simplest solution would be to copy in into /lib/modules/`uname -r` in the appropriate directory for wireless modules.

If it doesn't appear in modules.alias you could add it to /etc/modprobe.conf or create a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d.

Other solutions are to write a udev rule for your adaptor and use it to load the rlt8812au module or to add it to your initrd with dracut conf commands.

I am sure it has something to do with dkms.
    Only that dkms would likely install the driver in the proper place after compiling it. You could get dkms working before you try anything else and see if that solves the problem.