SpaMozilla
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

SpaMozilla

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/1...refox#comments

What does everyone think?

For me, I am calling them SpaMozilla now, just like I called Ubuntu SpamazonBuntu after the Search thing.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: SpaMozilla

Would you prefer to pay for Firefox itself because it would come to that if they didn't bundle search engines, VPN services etc. Opera used to offer VPN for free and that facility ended. Users who wanted to carry on using the VPN had to subscribe (but were offered a discount) or find an alternative free one. So how is what Mozilla intend to do any different?

Mozilla have to earn money somehow to cover operating costs (setting Google or any other search engine as default does not pay them enough) so to me it's just another valid revenue stream which more importantly is an optional subscription service. Nobody is forcing you to use Firefox, Pocket or any service they choose to bundle with it now or in the future.

Windows 7 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Nobody is forcing you to use Firefox, Pocket or any service they choose to bundle with it now or in the future.
    I think this is more about the comment "Users will receive a "Firefox Recommends" pop-up when browsing an unsecured wireless network." Hopefully the pop up won't be too intrusive or you'll be able to disable it, perhaps just using another VPN service will be enough to bypass it.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

won't be too intrusive or you'll be able to disable it,
    that should be the case, let's see how this actually pans out. pocket integration has been tamed to the point you can get by without being hassled to use it. it is removable from the new tab page and the icon can be hidden too.

Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    that should be the case, let's see how this actually pans out. pocket integration has been tamed to the point you can get by without being hassled to use it. it is removable from the new tab page and the icon can be hidden too.
    Not to mention, with a single toggle in about:config page, pocket can be completely banished. Firefox, IMHO, is still a user respecting browser.

SpaMozilla is rather uncharitable.

Windows 7 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    SpaMozilla is rather uncharitable.
    Yeah, but this is the era of Fake News...

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

OK Maybe SpaMozilla is uncharitable at this point.

I didn't know they even had the ability to pop up an ad, in front of you until I was trying to do a time sensitive task at work then all of a sudden (WTH IS THIS O_o IN MY FACE)!!!???!!!

For me its the slippery slope. Unless someone complains, down the line, mozilla will think its alright to slop over the browser with all sorts of ads.

We didn't let Ubuntu off the hook and they eventually had to change their advanced search with Amazon and we should at least complain to mozilla. Am I wrong?

It is also unfair to other VPN services. I would think it could even be actionable anti-competition law.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

When it becomes available, I would pay $12/yr. That is infinitely more than they, mozilla, used to get from me.
    I also contribute to certain websites that I like Phoronix, because he does a very respectable job of presenting technical information.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840