Fedora 29 hates my cpu
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Fedora 29 hates my cpu

I attempted to do an update from 28 to 29. Upgrade went fine but after logging in my system is almost unusable. very very slow. All cores are around 100%. Takes me about 30 min to get a top to load so I can see what it is. Looks like kworker has most of the cores and seems to be hung on a lscpu? When I saw that I attempted to run anything cpu query related and the commands just hang. I then wiped and reloaded fresh 29. Same thing again.

Lenovo 720s with a 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor.

I cant provide any logs because I ended up just reverting back to 28 since that and previous versions work just fine on this machine. Anyone else with this cpu having similar issues or is it just me?

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 64.0

Re: Fedora 29 hates my cpu

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same CPU. Manufacturer is Asus with a S15 510UN.

Avoiding any Gnome session (apart from GDM) by connecting to a tty doesn't change anything.
    Still lscpu losing its mind and CPU cores getting locked into 100% one after another.
    After some minutes, the laptop is frozen and unusable.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

@pazns if you still have F29 installed, what happens if you use Xorg instead of Wayland? the same?

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Fedora 29 migrated is not installed anymore, I tried many other things.It's my work computer, so this is pretty urgent.
    I will probably by the end of the day just repair Grub and use Windows waiting a week for a new computer with, hopefully, another CPU...

Here are things I tried or detected :
    - it was still broken with X.org ;
    - booting in runlevel3 seems to not trigger the bug, weird ;
    - Fedora 29 Live is not working as well ;
    - Fedora 28 live system *does* seem to work, but installing it lead to a broken system, the home wizard gets frozen as well after last step and never creates a home directory ;
    - I was doing some cleaning with a fresh Gparted live, and it was stuck too after a while in the graphical session
    - however, an old Gparted usb from 2015 works like a charm.
    - I upgraded my BIOS by one version dating from last year or something, nothing changes in either of those steps.
    - overall, when the system starts to freeze, power control commands don't work anymore.

A recurring error I can sometimes see in a terminal with dmesg, before the system freezes to death is related to a CPU soft lockup. All of the CPU seem to get stuck one after another at 100% of occupation. I saw that it's always either kworker or lscpu that is stuck in a CPU, apparently.
    After a while searching the net, I found a lot of materials leading to an actual bug in recent 4.x kernels (4.16 and after, something like that, I'm not sure) in a case of broken Intel CPU microcode and broken management of CPU C-States... But I found no solution yet.
    I tried a bunch of boot extra commands in Grub, but nothing seems to work in the long term.
    However I think I had visible effects in the Fedora 29 live with intel_idle.max_cstate=0, it lives longer but still not installable.

What I don't understand, is why it was working perfectly with my one-year-old Fedora 28, updated every single morning, migrated from a one-month-old Fedora 27.

Follow-up :
    I tried adding kernel boot options in GRUB, just to see if I could change something on the i915 part : intel_idle.max_cstate=1 i915.enable_dc=0 i915.enable_fbc=0.
    Nothing changed.

then I tried with nouveau : nouveau.modeset=0
    Disabling nouveau driver through GRUB options seems to completely get rid of this CPU overload issue. I'm not sure why. Nouveau does display errors regarding "suspend" when looking in dmesg, but as Nouveau always writes errors for silly reasons everywhere, I didn't notice.

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Interesting so my laptop has two gpus. One intel and one nvidia. I typically just use the intel one since its easier to maintain. So your saying if I disable the nvidia it may fix the issues we are seeing with the cpu load?

interesting finding regarding the GPU, have you tried the nvidia driver from rpmfusion instead of nouveau? read the how to first if you decide to try it as it has some important information regarding Optimus support and Wayland.

I will clone the main drive before doing anything else, but I was planning, as you propose, to install official nvidia drivers.
    With nouveau disabled, battery life seems to plummet.

Also, I didn't connected it to this issue before yesterday, but I remember that like 1 month ago or so the laptop started to use its fan way more than before, with a small elevation of temps, without any noticed CPU load.
    It may be related. Fedora 29 really doesn't seem to be the culprit after all.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 63.0

Had another crack at installing F29 on a spare hard drive, still can't install my printers. I am running F29 which I upgraded from F28. Printers still working OK. I don't think F29 was ready for release yet.

Quote Originally Posted by anglicus
    Had another crack at installing F29 on a spare hard drive, still can't install my printers. I am running F29 which I upgraded from F28. Printers still working OK. I don't think F29 was ready for release yet.
    please open your own thread about printer issues, nothing here is at all related to them and adding your opinion about the readiness of the ISO doesn't help with the CPU/nouveau interaction issues above.

Linux (Android 9) Chrome 70.0.3538.80

Bugzilla has a half dozen entries about not being able to connect a USB printer.
    From man cups there are non Fedora Gnome instructions on adding a printer.

Fedora 29 is not at the same level of functionality as is F28. More does not mean better.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

again, don't go off topic here please

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Same here. Upgraded from 28 to 29, getting 100% cpu usage on "lscpu" and "runc". A lot of zombie "pkla-check-auth" processes show in the list (probably unrelated).

Booting into level 3 does not trigger that. Fedora 28 worked perfectly fine.

The hardware is Dell XPS 15, Intel HD 630 + NVidia GP107M GPUs, nouveau driver.

Adding "nouveau.modeset=0" fixes it for me, including a working suspend.

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybot
    I attempted to do an update from 28 to 29. Upgrade went fine but after logging in my system is almost unusable. very very slow. All cores are around 100%. Takes me about 30 min to get a top to load so I can see what it is. Looks like kworker has most of the cores and seems to be hung on a lscpu? When I saw that I attempted to run anything cpu query related and the commands just hang. I then wiped and reloaded fresh 29. Same thing again.

Lenovo 720s with a 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor.

I cant provide any logs because I ended up just reverting back to 28 since that and previous versions work just fine on this machine. Anyone else with this cpu having similar issues or is it just me?