Upgrade from F28 to F29
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Upgrade from F28 to F29

Didn't see anything exactly like my experience (apologies if i missed it so I thought it appropriate to ask.....

I was able to follow the instructions for doing the upgrade: Update, download F29 (saw the 2100+ files downloaded), and then went to reboot.

System went thru normal reboot: Saw the grub screen with 3 versions of the F28 kernel listed plus the recovery option. System then booted as normal...but right back into F28 with no indication of doing the upgrade to F29, as if some switch was never set to make that happen.

Am I missing something obvious?

One other note...I have yet to see any window to indicate that F29 upgrade was available. I'm running Mate (as opposed to Gnome). Would that make any difference?

Thx in advance for the help....cheers....

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: Upgrade from F28 to F29

After the big download part, a message at the end tells you do a "# dnf system-upgrade reboot" command in order to complete the upgrade. If you skipped that part and just did a normal reboot, you would just boot into F28 as normal.

Code:
    dnf system-upgrade download --releasever VERSION [OPTIONS]

dnf system-upgrade reboot

dnf system-upgrade clean

dnf system-upgrade log

dnf system-upgrade log --number=<number>

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

UPDATE:

New wrinkle. Now when I try to execute dnf gui I get a msg that says application locked....hmmmmm

I should have mentioned the sequence I followed. It included "sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot" (after download). I never executed anything past that (as you have listed) since the upgrade does not appear to have ever been installed (did try 2-3 times w/same results

Any other ideas? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    After the big download part, a message at the end tells you do a "# dnf system-upgrade reboot" command in order to complete the upgrade. If you skipped that part and just did a normal reboot, you would just boot into F28 as normal.

Code:
    dnf system-upgrade download --releasever VERSION [OPTIONS]

dnf system-upgrade clean

dnf system-upgrade log

dnf system-upgrade log --number=<number>
    Last edited by stepher; 5th November 2018 at 11:48 PM.

Linux (Android 5.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.80

Well, what should have happened after you did the " sudo dnf systrem-upgrade reboot" command, after the F29 packages finihed downloading, would be what would appear to begin a normal F28 reboot but which should then be halted midstream and the F29 packages install process would begin. After that, there would be an auto reboot into F29.

Why that didn't occur for you I have no idea.

Based on the docs I read (in a number of places), that was what I expected, as well. So, now I need to figure out where things got "disconnected" and figure out how to fix that (definitely don't want to have to start from scratch And that's where I could use some help. Where would I start? And with what available tools?

Seems that every other Fedora upgrade I've done has had some sort of frustrating problem. A smooth upgrade one time. Frustration the next

Thx....

Well, what should have happened after you did the " sudo dnf systrem-upgrade reboot" command, after the F29 packages finihed downloading, would be what would appear to begin a normal F28 reboot but which should then be halted midstream and the F29 packages install process would begin. After that, there would be an auto reboot into F29.

Why that didn't occur for you I have no idea.

BUMP!!

Anyone have any other suggestions or insight? Thx and cheers.....

Quote Originally Posted by stepher
    Based on the docs I read (in a number of places), that was what I expected, as well. So, now I need to figure out where things got "disconnected" and figure out how to fix that (definitely don't want to have to start from scratch And that's where I could use some help. Where would I start? And with what available tools?

Seems that every other Fedora upgrade I've done has had some sort of frustrating problem. A smooth upgrade one time. Frustration the next

Thx....

I would try running "sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever 29" again. If that wants to begin actually downloading all the packages again you could kill that process off with CTRL-C. It may also see that the packages have already been downloaded and just skip downloading them again. If that works, then make sure the process has completed and then try the "sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot" command again to see if you get a different outcome.

I myself am still on F28. I like to wait for the dust to settle and most of the "new release" glitches are fixed before moving on the next Fedora release.

Have tried your suggestions and seen the results you mention. Have actually cleared the cache and restarted the download at least a couple of times. What I haven't done is a "Cntrl C" to kill the app in process. I'll give it a go.

Your point's well-taken about waiting. And I usually do. I guess since the upgrade from 27 to 28 worked so well, I got sucked into some false optimism for 28 to 29 Lesson learned. At least it didn't get part way thru the upgrade and then crash. I suppose I should consider myself lucky for that

Thx and cheers....

I would try running "sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever 29" again. If that wants to begin actually downloading all the packages again you could kill that process off with CTRL-C. It may also see that the packages have already been downloaded and just skip downloading them again. If that works, then make sure the process has completed and then try the "sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot" command again to see if you get a different outcome.

I myself am still on F28. I like to wait for the dust to settle and most of the "new release" glitches are fixed before moving on the next Fedora release.

OK. turns out I didn't have to kill the dnf process. Turned off the system and rebooted the next morning....and dnf was back to normal.

So, I tried a couple of more times to do the upgrade...same results. System seems to refuse to do it. Reboots right back into F28 and never shows any effort to upgrade to F29 Really strange.

I definitely don't want to have to flatten the system and start over. Still looking for suggestions on how to get this to work. The CPU for this system is an AMD Phenom II x4 945, which shouldn't make any difference since I've been running F27 and F28 on it without any problems.

There is 1 message I keep getting when I try to do the download. Something about nunodias-systemd-manager repository not being available or accessible and is disabled for the process. Not sure of the significance of this. I looked at the BaseURL (in dnf repositories) and entered the url into the browser and could access it just fine (altho, there is nothing in that repository for F28 or F29 and maybe that's fine cuz it's elsewhere cuz I can see the downloading of nearly 3K files for F29).

Help! Please....thx...

You might want to try disabling all repos except the standard Fedora and RPMFusion repos before attempting the system upgrade again.

My suggestion to use CTRL-C to kill the dnf system-upgrade download process was to prevent it from re-downloading all the packages again when they were in already on your hdd in the download cache as you previously stated you wanted to avoid that. You wouldn't want to do that if you had "cleared the cache" with "sudo dnf system-upgrade clean" as that would have deleted all the files currently in the download cache. i can't think of anything else to suggest at this time.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 8th November 2018 at 05:02 PM.

Ahh, misunderstood. Turns out dnf at least behaved in a respectful fashion. When I attempted to download, it skipped all the files that were already downloaded, so that was not the problem (and when I cleared the cache it redownloaded all the files again).

Appreciate the continued help. I'll disable the repos as you've suggested and see what happens.

Thx for hanging in there with me. As I usually do, I suspect it's something simple and obvious that I've missed but it will be a complex process to figure that out

You might want to try disabling all repos except the standard Fedora and RPMFusion repos before attempting the system upgrade again.

My suggestion to use CTRL-C to kill the dnf system-upgrade download process was to prevent it from re-downloading all the packages again when they were in already on your hdd in the download cache as you previously stated you wanted to avoid that. You wouldn't want to do that if you had "cleared the cache" with "sudo dnf system-upgrade clean" as that would have deleted all the files currently in the download cache. i can't think of anything else to suggest at this time.

OK. Disabled a number of repos and got it down to a bare minimum. Did a dnf upgrade reboot....and still the same results. Time to look for other possible solutions

This is really frustrating. With past upgrades the problem was that the upgrade got corrupted and I had no choice but to flatten and start all over. This time, no idea why my system refuses to do any kind of an upgrade (tho, updates work just fine).

"A man with no watches never knows the time. A man with 2 is never sure" - Old Chinese proverb

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 63.0

Did a dnf upgrade reboot....and still the same results.
    pmfji, if you actually used "dnf upgrade reboot", it should be
    Code:
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

I was in a rush earlier. Yep, used the command as stated and required. Wish it were that simple

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    pmfji, if you actually used "dnf upgrade reboot", it should be
    Code:

Quote Originally Posted by stepher
    One other note...I have yet to see any window to indicate that F29 upgrade was available. I'm running Mate (as opposed to Gnome). Would that make any difference?
    Yes, MATE doesn't have GNOME Software which would flag the upgrade availability for Workstation. As far as I recall dnfdragora will not advise of available distribution upgrades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast