F29 Printer Problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

F29 Printer Problem

I have just done a fresh install of F29 on my desktop computer which was previously running F28.
    All is OK except I cant add a printer. I have two networked (ethernet) printers a Brother HL-5250DN
    and a Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP305d and both worked OK on F28 but the printer configuration tool
    cant identify either of these printers on the network. This computer was originally installed with
    F24 and has been upgraded to each subsequent version of Fedora using dnf which is why I
    thought it was probably time to do a clean install.

I also have a laptop which I upgraded from F28 to F29 using dnf. The laptop connects to my router
    using wifi and it can see both my networked printers OK before and since the upgrade.

So the problem seems to be only with the F29 install and adding printers.
    Anybody else having trouble configuring printers?

Thanks Andy

Re: F29 Printer Problem

I have got both these networked printers installed OK now using the CUPS website (localhost:631)
    so problem solved.
    Out of interest I tried using the USB ports on both printers and the Gnome printer configuration
    tool found and configured the Brother printer OK but failed on the Fuji Xerox printer.
    God help newbie linux users.
    Andy

I had the same problem - likewise a fresh F29 install with problems configuring two networked printers. In my case I have a Brother HL-2250DW and an Epson WF 3640 - both configured to operate wirelessly. When I use settings - devices - printers, the system shows an auto-loaded configuration for the Epson WF3640 - but it simply doesn't work. The settings tool will not allow the addition of an alternative configuration for the Epson, nor will it allow the addition of a driver for the Brother. Also it will not allow the auto-loaded configuration for the Epson to be removed - it always reappears. This has never been a problem with F28 or earlier versions.

However, I noticed that other Gnome based distros use a separate printer configuration tool. I found that by installing the CUPS configuration tool "system-config-printer" on F29 I could add both printers - The only residual problems being that the CUPS config tool does not display the non functioning driver for the Epson whereas the settings tool shows three printers.

Hope this helps

I found a couple of problems using the printer configuration tool in settings.
    1. Once you have selected a default printer you can not change it using this tool.
    2. This tool will not remove a printer once it has been created.
    However using the Cups internal web page both can be done.
    I was unaware of this feature of Cups until I found it on another thread.
    Printer configuration has just happened automatically for me up to and
    including F28.
    Something has changed between F28 and F29.

I had posted a bug report to RH as # 1557820 I pasted the above postings as a information that more than just me is experiencing a Fedora 29 problem.
    Hopefully, it will raise in priority to where it gets looked at within the next two weeks.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840