Fedora 28 odd display in many places.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Fedora 28 odd display in many places.

I have Fedora 28 Xfce and since I've installed it a couple of months ago maybe, the display is weird in many different places and I can't seem to figure out what is missing or whatever.
    The resolution is fine, everything I can see to set/change is set that I know of at least. I've never seen anything quite like this.

I have Cairo Dock and when I get a notification from it, there is just a square gray box with no text or at the most one line with no "yes"/"no" buttons.
    Like this:

Also, the menu in terminal is an example of what is wrong the way at the top File, Edit, View, etc. all run together with no space in between.

Pulse Audio is set on 42% and it does not bring up a way to change it, I can just right click on it and then right click on properties.
    Even then this is what I get. The notification from Cairo Dock is that a new song came on but, all you can see is gray.

On the volume control you can see at the top everything runs together with no spaces.

Anyone know what is wrong? Thanks in advance.
    Arch Linux, openSUSE TW, Fedora 28 Workstation and Windows 10
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: Fedora 28 odd display in many places.

Nothing? No one has ever seen this before?

I read something about Fedora having bad font rendering but, I don't think that is the problem.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.103

Still no one has a clue?

Did I post this in the wrong place?

Linux Firefox 60.0

It appears to me that you have some sort of incompatibility in some graphics libraries. (I realise this is stating the obvious.)

I would try running some of the misbehaving programs from a terminal to see if they report any problems. After a few you might see a pattern which might isolate the problem library.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    It appears to me that you have some sort of incompatibility in some graphics libraries. (I realise this is stating the obvious.)

I would try running some of the misbehaving programs from a terminal to see if they report any problems. After a few you might see a pattern which might isolate the problem library.
    That's the problem, it isn't any one thing, It's everything; if you take a closer look at the 1st post, literally everything is not right.

Like the way the terminal picture above displays the menu at the top as FileEditViewTerminalTabsHelp

There is supposed to be some space between the words but, it runs together.

Also the gray box from Cairo Dock when a new song starts, for example is just a gray box; nothing on it.

I've been through many Linux Distros and none of them have ever displayed the odd behavior I'm seeing in Fedora.

I upgraded to 29 late last night and that went super smoothly but, everything is still the same.

Although I did kill Cairo Dock and run it from terminal. It gave the usual warnings, etc. that I see on other OSs. It works OK it just displays that gray box instead of intelligible dialog.

Thanks for your reply.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.102

Like the way the terminal picture above displays the menu at the top as FileEditViewTerminalTabsHelp
    Try using a different window theme and see if that changes the word spacing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Try using a different window theme and see if that changes the word spacing issue.
    Switched to Xfwm4 and no change.
    Everything looks odd. I tried to take a screenshot using the 3rd option Select a Region and it made the whole screen gray. I could not do anything.
    Here is Terminal preferences while using Xfwm4:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-17_12-49-59.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	29925
    To me it just looks odd, not like in Arch or openSUSE or anywhere else.
    Is this how you see your desktop?

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.102

Switched to Xfwm4 and no change.
    Switched from what? Xfwm4 is the Xfce default Window Manager. It is not a Window decoration "theme". You would select another window decoration theme from Window Manager > Style tab. Select the overall theme from Settings > Appearance. I have had experience with several themes, especially dark themes which I prefer, not displaying right. Just try different ones until you find one that works right and that you like aesthetically.

Of course mine looks different than yours (in appearance, not content) as I'm using a different theme (/usr/share/themes/Plasma Fire/xfwm4/)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xfce4-terminal-preferences.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	29926
    On both my desktop PC and laptop I actually have the terminal window frame completely hidden and have full transparency to the background image so that only the cursor prompt and window content are visible. My Panel/desktop theme is also Plasma Fire.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; Yesterday at 09:22 PM.