The great PDF viewer debate - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Re: The great PDF viewer debate

Hi Bob -

Yep, that looks like a big FAIL to me! Did you try the sample files in any other PDF viewer?

Maybe they did not put any beer in the app and therefore it does not compute! :-)

Bill Gee

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

No Bill, I saw that you and others had already played with them and my .pdf's are never more than simple pages, so no need for me.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Linux Firefox 63.0

Yeah, I tried it too in F29 VM as I don't just run some script, even though I got it from Sourceforge. I don't know why they host it there, as it of course doesn't contain any source to download at all. Probably for advertising only.
    Anyway. bob, the map file actually loads, but after quite some time and zooming is also horribly slow. Unusable. The 3D model does what it does it all the time with other viewers - white background and that text. So I can say you can safely forget about this viewer as well. Also, it's a java app, which may or may not be a problem for someone.

As for your HW, I don't think it's the fault regarding the Foxit reader. At this point there is no need to guess, it can be whatever that caused it to crash your X. And Supermicro isn't known to sell unstable boards. Well, only lately those speculations about Chinese installing some monitoring chips on it, but who knows how it is. I personally can't imagine this happening though.

I think that whatever it is, some later changes in some libs caused Adobe reader to not properly render the file. Again, we can elaborate as much as we can, but probably only Adobe would know in the end.

So as the last thing I tried running Adobe reader 11 in Win7 VM I have for various purposes and even there, albeit with VBox additions installed, it's quite fast and just non-problematic, so I think it's a reasonable way to deal with those files. It was also sadly the first time I actually saw the model in all its glory. Somewhat sad I would say.
    Nice to see that the Therion is from some Slovak guys though. Well, I'm Czech, but brother doesn't become a stepbrother just because some politic crap happened before.

Anyway, I will have to leave you to all the PDF affairs, I have HW to fiddle with. My i3 4170 has already been replaced by i7 4790 3 days ago, but there are still two machines I need to assemble, install and test. Using two keyboards, switching video inputs to write something is not helping me. I'm neither a full blown girl, nor Amiga, so my multitasking capability is logically practically nonexistent!

And do I have to deal with this HP SFF thing in the first place, who the fsck put it on my table anyway? Hey, what's happening here?!

Linux Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy
    I still think you're kidding me, because everyone should be friends with elephants!
    I agree with you entirely for two reasons. Elephants are my favourite animals actually and I doubt raising them would be boring for one minute either.

Also Magic SysRQ is one of the first things I enable on all linux installations but you need to be clearer when posting on the forum or at least link to it in the first place since not everyone knows about or uses that particular mnemonic

Linux Pale Moon 28.1.0

Also Magic SysRQ is one of the first things I enable on all linux installations
    In my latest f29 installation, lxde, SysRq is on by default:
    Code:
    [root@owl ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq 
    When in X, and I hit alt+SysRq I get taken to the console, and then have access to the virtual terminals.The 16, on my reading means: enable sync command. Fortunately I haven't had a lock-up for a while since using midori some time ago.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

I have PDFStudio Pro and I already tried the PDFs CrazyCaver shared. Both files are a bust on PDFStudio.

Windows 7 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Unfortunately Adobe has only opened part of the PDF specification, some parts including javascript extensions are still proprietary.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Thank you everyone for your input. I think HaydnH's last comment says it all ... If the complete PDF spec is not available, then the only application that can possibly meet it is Adobe Reader. Ugh ...

For my purposes - Master PDF Editor meets my need for a fast viewer of the cave map files I generate. On the very rare occasions I need to view 3D models in a PDF, I can use Adobe Reader running in a Windows virtual machine.

Bill Gee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2