Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora? - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora?

It's KDE4 in RHEL, is it not?

KDE4 is quite dead. Retaining KDE in RHEL 8 would, rationally, mean moving to Plasma 5. Makes sense to me that the cost and hassle of putting Plasma 5 in RHEL8 isn't viewed as being worth the effort. KDE's current update rate would mean a lot of fixes and feature releases accumulating between each RHEL point release, adding to cost and complexity.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with IBM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Before I switched to Linux the last GUI based OS I ran was that west coast #7. When I trashed that and all it's associated applications. I went to Fedora (F16). I picked Fedora specifically because Redhat was/is watching over it. Fedora is all I have run since. Currently F29 with Gnome. It's way different than that west coast stuff, but I looked at that as being a good thing. Now I'm used to it and it does 95% of the things I need. Yes, I have whined here and other places a few times bout some of the things that have gone missing/stopped working, but my users and I are doing okay.

A few months back I tried out CentOS because I wanted to see how it resembled RHEL and Fedora. Very similar indeed. Recently I was in a chain of e'mails on the Test List and someone mentioned that the spins probably needed more attention than they have been getting for test. I volunteered that I might help out with that. I decided to check out the spins to see if there was one I particularly felt like I would like to help out with testing on. Over that last few weeks I have tried out KDE Plasma, Cinnamon, Sugar on a Stick, and Mate. I spent about a day familiarizing myself with each. Certainly not an in depth appreciation for their capabilities, but I became familiar with their basic approach and tools.

With the news in this thread, I think I will wait a bit before I decide on a spin that I want to help out with, but I must say, having two grandchildren, that I found Sugar on a Stick to be very attractive and something I would like to be involved with.

Other than that I'll stick with Gnome.
    Last edited by TablePC; 5th December 2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Have a Great Day!

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    It's KDE4 in RHEL, is it not?

KDE4 is quite dead. Retaining KDE in RHEL 8 would, rationally, mean moving to Plasma 5. Makes sense to me that the cost and hassle of putting Plasma 5 in RHEL8 isn't viewed as being worth the effort. KDE's current update rate would mean a lot of fixes and feature releases accumulating between each RHEL point release, adding to cost and complexity.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with IBM.
    exactly, nothing to do with IBM and yes KDE4 is being ditched since it is end of life. They don't have a plan to introduce KDE Plasma but no doubt these packages will continue to be offered via EPEL for RHEL and CentOS 7 onward by the Fedora Project KDE Maintainers.

Linux Chrome 71.0.3578.80

> Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora?

Short answer: means not much

Longer answer: While having Red Hat explicitly supporting KDE meant that there were some additional engineers @ Red Hat helping both downstream and upstream in the past, it's immediate impact is relatively small.

-- Rex

Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 70.0.3538.110

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Two threads merged.

There are many Fedora desktop environments that do not feature in RHEL already, just because RHEL won't have KDE it doesn't necessarily mean Fedora won't either. It depends whether the Fedora KDE package maintainers stick around to carry on with it or if not someone takes it over. It's already a Spin and not a main Fedora Project ISO so nothing will change.

Please stop panicking over nothing guys
    I always do my installations using the network ISO. KDE is featured along with Gnome and Mate. What is the difference between the spin and the KDE included within the network installation ISO?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

look at the kickstart for the KDE ISO's package list and compare it to the package list the network installation ISO tried to install on top of the minimal contents it already contains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2